The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #46 of 660
King Crimson's 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and 'Red' should be in within a few days. I could go for 'Lizard' too but I am not sure if it has added value to it, musically writing. These CDs are the 30th anniversary remasters which should be very good although the newer remasters should sound better with the right system.

Baka1969, I checked the archives and you are probably right. Problem is I can not get into everything because I am quite eclectic regarding music and my wallet has its limits. Delve in the realm of Jazz, Funk and Soul, terrifying quantities of good music, depending on your taste. The same goes for Hip Hop and Rap, Pop and the list goes on. Collecting music in the long term is worse than Head-Fi, especially if you go for CD or LP.

May 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #47 of 660
Scorpions - Rock You Like a Hurricane
Scorpions - No one like you

Opeth - Hope Leaves
Opeth - Windowpane

Rainbow - Temple of the King
Rainbow - Gates of Babylon
Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain

Queen - The Show Must Go On

Let me know what you think, i ll try my best to give you good names.

May 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #48 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right...me too. now i can listen to the hardest,most extreme vocals existing in metal ( I also like it!
smile.gif
). before i got hard in to metal the vocals where the thing that decided if the music is "heavy" or not,but now it is more about the instrumentation and other aspects other than the vocals.

I personally like the black metal vocalization the most...those really harsh and heavy screaming
bigsmile_face.gif

I think that this aggression together with a very fantastic melodies are beautiful combiniation...like cold ice cream and hot cake on the side.

you really ought to check out cormorant, the vocals are very black metal esque, but the music is still extremely melodic, and kind of folky, but not black metal in any way. They are pretty unique

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

May 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #49 of 660
Cormorant, the sound is good. Nice track although the vocals require some getting used to and sometimes the track sounds almost Pop, it still sounds too heavy and experimental for that though. I especially like the threatening presence of the bass and the full sound which work well with the transitions in pace. Not my cup of tea to be honest, nice track though...

May 4, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #50 of 660
Uriah Heep is prog rock and has early metal in it.
I hear the influence from them on Iron Maiden. Very heavy organs use as well over the typical just keyboards or synthesizers

Also UFO not prog but a GREAT hard rock band has also influenced many metal bands I also hear their influence on Iron Maiden.

2 very underrated also never talked about bands.

May 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #51 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
King Crimson's 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' and 'Red' should be in within a few days. I could go for 'Lizard' too but I am not sure if it has added value to it, musically writing. These CDs are the 30th anniversary remasters which should be very good although the newer remasters should sound better with the right system.

Baka1969, I checked the archives and you are probably right. Problem is I can not get into everything because I am quite eclectic regarding music and my wallet has its limits. Delve in the realm of Jazz, Funk and Soul, terrifying quantities of good music, depending on your taste. The same goes for Hip Hop and Rap, Pop and the list goes on. Collecting music in the long term is worse than Head-Fi, especially if you go for CD or LP.

Given your OP topic the site seemed appropriate.
smily_headphones1.gif
I keep having an internal fight between buyin equpiment and music. I really want to settle on a perfect rig so I can concentrate all of my efforts and funding on music. Alas, that hasn't happened yet with the HE-5LE on the way and looking for an 880/600, I'm still searching. I'm happy with my amp and DAC but still wonder if there is better.

But, Progarchives will help you with all genres of prog.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #52 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you really ought to check out cormorant, the vocals are very black metal esque, but the music is still extremely melodic, and kind of folky, but not black metal in any way. They are pretty unique

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

thanks man! this is the kind of stuff I am looking for these days. I will definitely check this album and if the whole album is similar to this track than i am getting it for sure
normal_smile .gif

btw,I catched your recommendation in the other thread but just didn't managed to checked it out yet,you just made this job easier by "youtube" it for me,thanks.
this is progressive melodic black metal...very rare to find genre.

May 5, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #53 of 660
Quote:

Logwed, just out of curiosity. Why is 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' not so popular among Pink Floyd listeners? My impression! I like it more than 'Dark Side Of The Moon' for its madness and dare I say 'fun' sound.

Opeth, I will read in on their work and maybe youtube a bit... Thanks for the tip.

I love Pink Floyd, and I hate Pipers. It's not Pink Floyd at all, IMO. It's full of poppy tunes, and they weren't executed well.

May 5, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #54 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks man! this is the kind of stuff I am looking for these days. I will definitely check this album and if the whole album is similar to this track than i am getting it for sure
normal_smile .gif

btw,I catched your recommendation in the other thread but just didn't managed to checked it out yet,you just made this job easier by "youtube" it for me,thanks.
this is progressive melodic black metal...very rare to find genre.

yeah, but i know i dont check out every rec on every thread, so i made it easier for ya by throwin in the youtube. Only tried so hard because from your explanation, i knew youd like it
biggrin.gif
they are a small unsigned band from southern california, i bought the cd from their website.

May 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #55 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, but i know i dont check out every rec on every thread, so i made it easier for ya by throwin in the youtube. Only tried so hard because from your explanation, i knew youd like it
biggrin.gif
they are a small unsigned band from southern california, i bought the cd from their website.

yeah I noticed they are unsigned. i found their cd also on "cd universe".

May 5, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 660
Quote:

Logwed, you are right, 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' sounds Pop, in a weird way though.

I really didn't care for that album at all. too weird for me and doesn't contain any real music IMO. the same thing for the pink floyd's crazy album "umaguma" (although I do like the live cd).

May 6, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #58 of 660
'Led Zeppelin' by Led Zeppelin and 'Made In Japan'  by Deep Purple are coming in soon. Does anyone know if 'Lizard' by King Crimson is a worthwhile album in my quest?

May 7, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #59 of 660
everybody,I assume you all know judas priest already but i will mention an old 70's album i recentely got.  its called: "sad wings of destiny".  it is really a fine combination of heavy metal and led zeppelin style...very led zeppelinish,also in the singing although i like judas priest singer much better for the vocal capabilities,  he is by far the best male singer i heard in those genres,  much better than robert plant and also better than deep purple's singer. HANDS DOWN!

May 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #60 of 660
I was / still am interested in early Judas Priest ... but their earlier albums aren't easy to get in Hong Kong. Means I will have to mail order from the US, in which case, I'm not sure it is high on the priority list as there are way too many things I want to get and I am real short of $$. Having said that, I really want Sad Wings of Destiny, so when my finances are better, methinks I will eventually get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back