The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
May 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #31 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' in a small stand run by a German near the canals of Amsterdam. I cost me 5 euros, besides I read a good review about it, 'their last great album.'

Last great that's purely opinion.
My favorite Maiden album is 1995 The X Factor.

I'd say its best to listen to the other albums if you wanted to and decide for yourself instead of someone on the internet.
Some albums people just hate because everyone else says it and they never even heard them.

According to the internet British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance is the best Judas Priest albums. That's funny because they are ranked in 14-16 of 16 place with Point Of Entry for me.
And Priest is my favorite band.
Not to say I don't enjoy songs off those albums its just they are not the best at all.

May 3, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #32 of 660
Ok, Close to the Edge is the Yes album, IMO, followed by Fragile. Check those two out. Pink Floyd-wise, listen to Meddle, WYWH, and Atom Heart Mother. King Crimson, Red and In the Court of the Crimson King are good bets. In the Wake of Poseidon is identical to the debut album, IMO, so you might also like that. I also like Mastodon, on the Prog Metal side of things.

May 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #33 of 660
If you don't mind a little progressive death metal give Opeth a try. 99% of their songs don't appeal on the first, or even second, listen; but the songs slowly give themselves and when that happens you don't want to listen to anything else.

The previously suggested Blackwater Park is a good starting point, also try Ghost Reveries.

May 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #34 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by mibutenma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last great that's purely opinion.
My favorite Maiden album is 1995 The X Factor.

I'd say its best to listen to the other albums if you wanted to and decide for yourself instead of someone on the internet.
Some albums people just hate because everyone else says it and they never even heard them.

According to the internet British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance is the best Judas Priest albums. That's funny because they are ranked in 14-16 of 16 place with Point Of Entry for me.
And Priest is my favorite band.
Not to say I don't enjoy songs off those albums its just they are not the best at all.

I was thinking of buying the début album by Iron Maiden and if that album is to my liking maybe more follows. 'The Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' seemed a good gamble at the time, it was.

Logwed, just out of curiosity. Why is 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' not so popular among Pink Floyd listeners? My impression! I like it more than 'Dark Side Of The Moon' for its madness and dare I say 'fun' sound.

Opeth, I will read in on their work and maybe youtube a bit... Thanks for the tip.

May 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #35 of 660
X10 on symphony x!!

you must not post in this thread until you listen to them
smile.gif

all of their albums is great but my two absolute favourites are:
1.the devine wings of tragedy
2. v-the new mythology suit

the best prog-metal band ever hands down. and I am also a big fan of dream theater and rush...but symohony is another league IMHO. the best combination of great emotional melodies and progressive metal. they are like a combination of mozart/bach and metal.

May 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #37 of 660
heavy metal is great and have great great beautiful melodies and emotion in it,but to be honest this is my least favourable genre in metal
redface.gif
"seventh son" is my favourite iron maden album tough.
actually the best melodies I heard in metal are in the prog-metal (synphony x {dream theater}) and death metal genres.

May 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #38 of 660
That may be, but death-metal is definitely one of the least "accessible" forms of metal. Lots of people will like heavy metal who will find death metal to be just too much.

I love heavy metal, prog-metal (even the "prog-death-metal" like Opeth), and goth metal, but real death-metal I can't really enjoy, mostly.

One other point - classic prog rock like Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd - there wasn't any metal in these bands at all, the way modern prog has more elements of that.

May 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #39 of 660
if talking of prog rock, RUSH is definitely a must know band,probably the greatest...all the greatest prog metal bands learned from them and still learning. although i find their first 7-8 albums genius (not less!) I can't care less for their later albums. but the first 7 is a must for any prog rock lover.

I also think they have a little sparkles of metal in some of the albums like "2112". I am talking of the guitar riffs.

May 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #40 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if talking of prog rock, RUSH is definitely a must know band,probably the greatest...all the greatest prog metal bands learned from them and still learning. although i find their first 7-8 albums genius (not less!) I can't care less for their later albums. but the first 7 is a must for any prog rock lover.

I also think they have a little sparkles of metal in some of the albums like "2112". I am talking of the guitar riffs.

Agree 100% with all that. Was just spinning 2112 on Sunday - brilliant, epic record.

May 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #41 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree 100% with all that. Was just spinning 2112 on Sunday - brilliant, epic record.

if you are talking about spinnig vinyl...I once heard "fly by night" on vinyl and it sounded much much better than the cd (remastered edition).

EDIT: by the way,right now listening to "hemispheres" there are very clear resembles of metal,especialy in the opening theme. one of my favourites of rush,genious album but maybe a little too progressive for beginners in that field.

May 4, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #42 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be, but death-metal is definitely one of the least "accessible" forms of metal. Lots of people will like heavy metal who will find death metal to be just too much.

I love heavy metal, prog-metal (even the "prog-death-metal" like Opeth), and goth metal, but real death-metal I can't really enjoy, mostly.

One other point - classic prog rock like Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd - there wasn't any metal in these bands at all, the way modern prog has more elements of that.

I think it's all about people's frames of reference and preconceptions. I've always been repulsed by the high pitched voices in heavy metal and have never gotten used to them but was introduced to death metal a fair while back and have grown completely accustomed to the vocals over time.

May 4, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's all about people's frames of reference and preconceptions. I've always been repulsed by the high pitched voices in heavy metal and have never gotten used to them but was introduced to death metal a fair while back and have grown completely accustomed to the vocals over time.

right...me too. now i can listen to the hardest,most extreme vocals existing in metal ( I also like it!
smile.gif
). before i got hard in to metal the vocals where the thing that decided if the music is "heavy" or not,but now it is more about the instrumentation and other aspects other than the vocals.

I personally like the black metal vocalization the most...those really harsh and heavy screaming
bigsmile_face.gif

I think that this aggression together with a very fantastic melodies are beautiful combiniation...like cold ice cream and hot cake on the side.

May 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #44 of 660
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are talking about spinnig vinyl...I once heard "fly by night" on vinyl and it sounded much much better than the cd (remastered edition).

EDIT: by the way,right now listening to "hemispheres" there are very clear resembles of metal,especialy in the opening theme. one of my favourites of rush,genious album but maybe a little too progressive for beginners in that field.

Yes, definitely the vinyl
biggrin.gif

Rush unquestionably DOES have elements of metal in it. So does Styx (which unquestionably was a prog band, like them or not (and I do) ).

And Redsky, I understand your point - I may just be an old fuddy-duddy. For me it's hard to imagine not liking the vocal pyrotechnics of people like Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, whereas the death-metal growl, which is much vocal effect as it is real vocal, is much harder to get into. I have learned to like it in the context of Opeth, where it's mixed with his regular singing, and in the context of goth metal bands like Epica, where it exists as a foil to be beautiful female operatic singing.

But where all the vocals are the cookie-monster delivery, I can't get into it
ph34r.gif

Anyway, lots and lots of people DO, so it's just my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back