The Exotic Fruit Forum
Dec 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 71
Mountain apple was something I tried this year. Funny as I guess I missed the allure.

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #32 of 71

Quote:
Is that sweet tamarine? If yes, I used to steal this fruit from the tree behind my elementary school building complex LOL. I and my friends doing it when the recess usually :D

In Puerto Rico it is called tamarind, not sweet it's very sour for the most part. Very addicting 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #33 of 71
Has anyone ever eaten rose hip? I saw some today and it reminded me of this thread so I took a quick snap. I remember having rose hip jam when I was a kid.

(EDIT: forgot to resize pic... the out of the camera jpg was gigantic)

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 71
Has anyone ever eaten rose hip? I saw some today and it reminded me of this thread so I took a quick snap. I remember having rose hip jam when I was a kid.

They don't taste all that good right off the bush, but the jam is pretty wonderful. And lots of Vitamin C if you dry them and make an infusion.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #35 of 71
They taste much better after the first freeze.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #36 of 71
Rose hips remind me of a great book I have, "To the King's Taste."  A medieval academic found a bunch of ancient recipes from the English Court.  She experimented with them and rewrote them with modern measurements, temperatures and cooking time.

A large number of the recipes call for rose hips.  It used to be common to cook with rose hips.

I don't know of a supplier, but it would be fun to host a feast taken from the book.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #38 of 71
So many fruits in here I'd love to taste - many of which I've never seen before.

I'd love to contribute, but Denmark isn't really a great place for fruit. Veggies maybe.

Are those purple carrots rare?
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #39 of 71
Rose never put out any fruit here :frowning2:( They just bloom then wilted away...
I read about rose hip somewhere on my senior high school, but completely forgot about them until you write it here. Oh, I really want to taste them!!! The red is gorgeous!!!

Quote:

(EDIT: forgot to resize pic... the out of the camera jpg was gigantic)

Oh, so it wasn't sweet tamarind (I spelled it wrong before, sorry) then? Too bad, and I though I got to see those yummy sweet tamarind again!
The sweet tamarind I mentioned is look very similar to tamarind, but the taste is sweet when ripe, and slightly ugh, I don't know the English word for it, but the Indonesian word is "sepat" (the dictionary terms is "bitter", but "bitter" is "pahit" in Indonesian, you know, like the taste of medicine? That's bitter. I lost of word here).
Quote:

In Puerto Rico it is called tamarind, not sweet it's very sour for the most part. Very addicting 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Someone wrote about snake fruit several post ago, do you know that snake fruit is endemic plant from Indonesia?!?! Yes, they originally come from Java Island and Bali Island (you know, 'that' Bali, the Island of God, the most popular tourist destination from Indonesia....). It's called Salak here.

My fav fruit is sugar apple (aka sugar pinneaple, or sugar sop, or locally as srikaya) and it wasn't even local fruit lol. Once I finished 8 all by myself lol. What is your fav exotic fruit?

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is your fav exotic fruit?

I was just thinking of lilikoi when I scrolled down and...

Quote:
I also enjoy Lilikoi (passion fruit)

Great minds think alike I suppose 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #42 of 71
Anyone growing Ginsing in their yard? I know not a fruit.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #45 of 71

Quote:

Anyone heard of this? Planted this in my place. Sweet and nice fruit. 

Redcarmoose Is the first picture you post a nutmeg? 

I love Durian!!! But is too heaty to eat. 

Post number one is a white mango

Users who are viewing this thread

Back