The Etymotic of Speakers
Aug 3, 2007 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
I've been through a few speakers and I find myself disappointed each time with the high-end. Very few speakers offer than openness and detail that the Etymotic ER-4S does does in the higher frequencies. For those headphiles here, what would you say is the speaker that is closely matched to the Ety's performance?

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 33
Being a big fan of the Etymotic balanced sound, my speaker of choice are Joseph Audio RM25. I have owned them for a little over two years, and it is still very special to play music through them...

The only problem may be finding a dealer close to you who sells them. Though the number is growing, few dealers are authorized Joseph Audio retailers.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 33
I just got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS1s, and while I want to say that I am impressed with the detail and accuracy they afford me, etc., I also am having a really tough time comparing speakers to headphones. For me they're quite difficult to really size up, especially in regard to neutrality.

Aug 3, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 33
Indeed. I was listening to a pair of B&W 801 Matrix's last night and comparing it to my home setup through K701's, there's no details. But imaging was another story. I like speakers.

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 33
I think if you want very open and airy highs, look at Dynaudio's line of speakers. I think Eggleston Works makes a speaker aswell for around $2500 which uses dynaudio's Esotar 330D tweeters which are said by many to be the BEST dome tweeters in the world with an extremely airy and open sound to them along with great detail aswell.

http://www.egglestonworks.com/Isabel.htm

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 33
I was just gonna march in and babble - you need a pair of neutral monitors -_- (thats what Etymotic sound technically is...)

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 33
Find the flattest possible studio monitors you can; they will sound like ER4s, because that's what ER4s were designed to sound like. The speakers I have now sound a lot like the ER4s, but with more treble, especially when I'm sitting close to them.

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS1s, and while I want to say that I am impressed with the detail and accuracy they afford me, etc., I also am having a really tough time comparing speakers to headphones. For me they're quite difficult to really size up, especially in regard to neutrality.

Spot on.

The other aspect is synergy - how your source and amp matches up with the speakers will very much determine the overall sound you'll get.

I'd suggest something electrostatic (but then again I would) - Martin Logan CLSs?

Aug 4, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 33
For sheer high end there isn't a whole lot that beats the Infinity EMIT ribbon tweeters..

http://www.bobbyshred.com/emit.html

QLSback.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back