The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 21, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #271 of 2,142
I assume you’ve done the research and listened to these cables in a suitably resolving system and your not just relying on what you “know”... that would be very strange position comment from, wouldn’t it?

Um, yes, I did my due diligence; and it's not a cable. It's literally a black box being sold for $1000. (Though I would find an equally priced cable equally absurd).
They have a long pseudo-science explanation of how it works on their site which I was able to translate since I have an engineering degree and an IQ between 149 and 200.

Don't undervalue people being able to figure things out by what they "know". That's why people go to college and get paid more based on what they know. If this wasn't true, we'd have random people off the street trying to be rocket scientists.

Anyway, basically the Blackbody improves the sound of whatever you place it near because it absorbs light (since it's black).
How does this improve the sound?
Well, since it absorbs light, the light won't have a chance of hitting your audio equipment, thereby producing heat, which can change how electronic components behave. Assuming your system was perfect to start with, this change would decrease the quality of your music.
So it keeps your music at optimal quality providing you buy enough of them and surround your system with them.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #272 of 2,142
[1] But just imagine, you actually listened to one of these cables that you speak of with such with such certainty but haven’t heard, what’s the worse that could happen?
[2] Futureshop in the UK give you a 60 day no quibble guarantee on any of their cables and im sure wherever you are there’s a retailer who’ll offer you the same service.
Or are the risks simply too great?

1. Firstly, I don't have to imagine, I have actually listened to an expensive audiophile cable, in fact more than one. Secondly, if I had not done my "due diligence", if in fact I hadn't done any diligence at all(!): If I hadn't learned how ethernet signalling works, hadn't learned why expensive audiophile ethernet cables can't audibly improve the result, hadn't actually measured the output to confirm, hadn't therefore dismissed the marketing BS and just did a sighted/uncontrolled listening test, then "the worse that could happen" is that I might think I can perceive an improvement (where in fact there's no audible difference whatsoever), waste my money on a snake oil product and then post glowing "impressions" on a public forum, thereby effectively promoting the scam to others!

2. The risks are not too great for me, as I've said, I've already listened to audiophile cables. What about you, are the risks of doing actual "due diligence" simply to great for you? I should imagine they are, because EVERY time an audiophile believed they were hearing an improvement with audiophile cables and then did actual "due diligence", it turned out they could NOT in fact tell any difference at all. Which is why no commercial studios ever use expensive audiophile cables and why, even after a decade or so, the $1m Randi prize was never won!

G

May 22, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #273 of 2,142
Brilliant.

May 22, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #274 of 2,142
If you read all the posts in this whole thread you will realize why this is not necessary and why you are most probably only imagining a difference, where no difference is, if you are not a believer.

Edit: Here is a brain teaser for you: If you download a song and play it 1 hour later, will it sound the same as if you would stream it right now?

If a tree falls in a forest with no one around, does it still make a sound? We will never know.

May 22, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #275 of 2,142
It does make a sound! But if you are using a treesilencer 2.0 then it will reduce the sound and increase the soundstage!

May 22, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #276 of 2,142
Correct.

Other People can and will believe what they want though if its placebo or not that i am experiencing. The closed minded i cant convince anyway but for the open minded maybe i can convince if they want better sound.
Hey Blue,

I have imagined a ton of things. Like sending my ethernet to AES digital output to my Big Ben to let it reclock and then to the dac. Ethernet is perfect so the Big Ben couldnt possibly help.

Years ago on another forum there was similar bits is bits debate but regarding the OS and how changes to the OS could affect the sound. It went much like this thread. Then some one chimed in that they worked in manufacturing where things had to happen at precise intervals or millions of dollars was lost....and they talked about how software and os could mess up the timing. Seems that there is data and there is data in a time frame (like audio). But one camp just looks at data. Its like saying a zip file is exactly like the unzipped file. It is from a data standpoint. But from a time standpoint its a completely different file.

Anyhow just wanted to say that I get where you are coming from and just wanted to say you aint alone. But I don't have the time to worry about people who can't get past their dogma. And well the system is sounding truly amazing after lots of tweaks and mods that I probably imagined too...

As you said its all about better sound and well placebo can work both ways.

Also switches do make a difference. At least I had one that caused all kind of hum while 2 other with the same gear and connections were dead quiet. Which yes I know is not exactly what this thread is about. And also the manufacturer of my ethernet to AES adaptor DOES recommend certain switches and QoS is part of that. You have to have a certain type of Qos with their products. Ironically the Cisco model they recommended was the one with the hum. Replaced it with a Dlink and the hum was gone. Also if you havent' already try one of those hospital ethernet isolators. They are about $125 but worth it. I bought 2. If you know of an audiophile switch that has Qos please message me.

May 23, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #277 of 2,142
[1] Years ago on another forum there was similar bits is bits debate but regarding the OS and how changes to the OS could affect the sound. It went much like this thread. Then some one chimed in that they worked in manufacturing where things had to happen at precise intervals or millions of dollars was lost....and they talked about how software and os could mess up the timing.
[2] Seems that there is data and there is data in a time frame (like audio).
[2a] But one camp just looks at data.
[3] Its like saying a zip file is exactly like the unzipped file. It is from a data standpoint. But from a time standpoint its a completely different file.

1. I work in an industry "where things have to happen at precise intervals" or Hundreds of Billions of dollars is lost! If things didn't happen at precise intervals then digital audio wouldn't work and neither would the music, TV and film industries that all rely on it.

2. I'm not sure why it "seems" like that to you but it's clearly not true. Audio is NOT "data in a time frame", it's just data stored on media without a time frame, the same as all other digital data. Obviously, if this were not the case, then we would never be able to move or copy a digital audio file from one storage device to another at double (or many times) the speed without completely ruining it. There is, of course, a certain location/point at which the audio data does have to delivered/processed "in a time frame" but again, this is true of ALL data, not just audio data. All data has to be processed and all processors have a clock speed, deliver the data in the wrong "time frame" and the result will be failure.

2a. Of course my camp just looks at digital audio data as other digital data because if were different, then self-evidently it wouldn't be digital data! The difference with my "camp" is that we consider WHERE the "certain location/point" is and discount "time frame" BEFORE that point. If it we did not, then we could never play say lossless stereo 16/44.1 digital audio from any hard disk, flash drive or internet connection because they never have a transfer rate that is no higher or lower than 1,411,200 bits per second. With ethernet, asynchronous USB and some other protocols, that certain point/location is AFTER the connecting ethernet or USB cable! Unfortunately though, there's another camp that appears to believe all sorts of marketing nonsense (for example, that digital audio data is somehow not digital data), even to the point of denying fundamental and easily verifiable facts, without which consumer digital devices and the "digital age" itself would not exist in the first place! In this instance, it's the effective denial of the purpose and existence of "buffers"!

3. Unfortunately, you have that backwards. A zip file is NOT exactly like the unzipped file from a data standpoint, in fact, pretty much the whole point of the "zip" format/process is to have a zip file with significantly different (less) data than the unzipped file.

G

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #279 of 2,142
[..]
Personaly i think the best choice for me is atlas mavros ethernet cable and if i am in the mood/cant resist someday i will try it with 60 days back guarantee. The grun drain wire was effective with my mavros rca cable connected to my streamer. So i have already got the atlas mains power adapter with grun connected to niagara 1000 power socket (with ground noise dissipation system) where you can connect 3 grun drain wires for RF/EMI noise pathway.
[..]

Any feedback on this Atlas Mavros streaming ethernet cable ? I can barely find any reviews on the net.
I am looking for an audiophile ethernet cable, this one looks promising, but without any comment on it, hard to make a choice.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #280 of 2,142
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #283 of 2,142
So i have thinking along time maybe to get an ifi power station or similar powercleaner just to connect the router and switch to it, now i use a cheap generic powerstrip there. All other music gear in the chain is connected to the audioquest niagara 1000 its full and in the other side of the room.

Has anyone tried this and heard improvement?

I dont know if its worth it.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/powerstation/

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #284 of 2,142
I run all my audio stuff off of batteries (amp, dac, computer) which is much better than just filtering the power. I use a double conversion UPS for that. The only thing I've noticed is that it got rid of noises associated with power issues like humming and popping.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #285 of 2,142
So i have thinking along time maybe to get an ifi power station or similar powercleaner just to connect the router and switch to it, now i use a cheap generic powerstrip there. All other music gear in the chain is connected to the audioquest niagara 1000 its full and in the other side of the room.

Has anyone tried this and heard improvement?

I dont know if its worth it.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/powerstation/
never tried the ifi but their psus don't seem to do much or at least not in my system.

Try a Satic. I bought one for the audio system and then one for the router/modem stuff in the other room.

https://www.amazon.com/Satic-Power-Electricity-Filter-Protector/dp/B07L3CBFGK14b8-4f70-90f6-05ac39e80cc0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back