The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Nov 24, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,711 of 2,214
The problem is that the fiber port on the ER is on the A-side. Running the ER as designed, A-side source, B-side to the end point, sounds best.
Understood, and I should have clarified I meant ethernet in & out of ER, with fibre only between the LHYs.

Lots of possible combos to try was simply my point, and sometimes the best sounding one is not the most intuitive.

Another possible chain is:

Modem/router > LHY FMC > fibre > ER > ethernet cable > SW-10

And the one you suggested of course which I think @Tubewin may have tried just now and found his chain sounds best with ER at the end (which I take to mean just before the server).. correct?

Modem/router > LHY FMC > fibre > SW-10 > fibre > ER

I really think you should try inserting the ER via fiber from the SW-10.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,712 of 2,214
And the one you suggested of course which I think @Tubewin may have tried just now and found his chain sounds best with ER at the end (which I take to mean just before the server).. correct?

Modem/router > LHY FMC > fibre > SW-10 > fibre > ER
That is correct. I like how it sounds with the ER at the end.

Power cords, have impacted the sound from these devices as well. LHY is definitely sensitive to power cords.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,714 of 2,214
Power cords, have impacted the sound from these devices as well. LHY is definitely sensitive to power cords.
The AC cable supplied with the SW-10 is awful, causes an annoying hump in the mid-bass, which seriously colours the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,715 of 2,214
The AC cable supplied with the SW-10 is awful, causes an annoying bump in the mid-bass, which seriously colours the sound.
I don't have the SW-10, just the more modest SW-8. However they share a lot common design features including their Talema transformers (2 v 1) & AC filtering and the DC stage. As does the OCK-2. The OCK-2 and SW-8 both respond very positively to flux-50 style AliX mains filters, better power cables and higher quality chassis & signal grounding. And vibration damping. Far better soundstaging and acoustic decay, greater PRaT and dynamics, more textured, layered, tight and punchy bass, less glare, more palpable midrange. I could go on. I've probably said all this once or twice before sorry, I'm just a bit of a zealot about the untapped potential these fairly modestly priced LHY devices have.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,717 of 2,214
Nov 24, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,718 of 2,214
@Tubewin Just relax :relaxed: The clock on SW10 has not even opened yet.... Don´t do anything before 2-3months has passed. I recommend 6months for Masterclocks.

600hours is just a start

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,720 of 2,214
@Tubewin Just relax :relaxed: The clock on SW10 has not even opened yet.... Don´t do anything before 2-3months has passed. I recommend 6months for Masterclocks.

600hours is just a start
I'm not talking bad about the clock in the SW-10. I think it could be that the clocks in the two different devices (ER and SW-10) are not really suited for each other when connected with each other.

And... I would not have the patience to listen to a system I did not like for 2-3 months, let alone 6 months...
You would be completely fine with listening to a system that had random distortion and random noises for 6 months?

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,721 of 2,214
1. You are experiencing periodic noise?
2. With or without the ER? - did it happen after the ER?
3. The ER is old tech please match and read up on the spec(ask LHY). I don´t think they are compatible. ER is old tech

Nov 24, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,722 of 2,214
1. You are experiencing periodic noise?
2. With or without the ER? - did it happen after the ER?
3. The ER is old tech please match and read up on the spec. I don´t think they are compliant. ER is old tech
I moved the dip switch on the sw-10 to 75 ohms and used a 75ohm bnc cable and had the ER set to external clock mode. When I did all of that, there was random noise and distortion. Again, I don't blame the SW-10 for that, not sure I can blame the ER for that either. When I set the ER to internal clock and remove the bnc cable, the random distortion and noise is gone. Yes, it's only when I try to reclock the ER with the SW-10. As you say, ER is older, and it may not "play well with others".

But my system still sounds the most three dimensional with the ER in the chain, specifically at the end of the chain.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,723 of 2,214
This whole time you have been using 50ohm with ER?

BUT WHY?

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,725 of 2,214
when you do all this switching make sure they are shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back