The Ergo AMT Review. (56k, Dont Even Try)
Sep 15, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
If your question is "Duggeh have you heard..."

Wull... mine had a comma after Duggeh, dinnit..

Quote:

...you can bet your bottom dollor the answer will be no.
wink.gif

I can? .. It will?

Quote:

Why?

We had a guy (johnmatrix, I think) who said the XR45 sounded really insanely great driving his Stax. Thought the Ergo (not to be confused with the Ergot 'phone with the psychedelic sound feature) AMT would respond well to the cleanliness people claim to get from a digital amp. Mine should be here tomorrow; I'll let you know how it sounds on 'stats.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #62 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Mine should be here tomorrow; I'll let you know how it sounds on 'stats.

Tut tut, my dear Wualta. You should have practiced reticence, but now you're going to have to give us a full and in depth review. Let that be a lesson to you.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #63 of 149
I thought I was the only person on the planet who had ever used the AMT phones.
I had mine for about 3 years which equates to approximately 3000 hours of use, but I couldn't consider them to be a world beater - I never got used to the seriously strange overhang in the bass which clouded up the mid range and made listening to heavily orchestrated music or massed voices a trial.
Not long after I'd bought them a UK reviewer categorised them as "unpleasantly gong like" which I'd second completely.
Sorry, but for the price although they do some things extremely well I think they represent poor value for money and are not a serious high end phone,
especially if you are a classical music afficianado.
I only used them so much since having paid a bundle for them I wanted some return on my money.
The AMT amp does little for them either and is a non starter. The UK importer who sold me the phones initially, told me (off the record), not to bother with it and a short listen confirmed it to be a rather weedy affair.
By the way I also had the Jecklin Float electrostatics before the AMT phones but they spent more time in the repairers than in use.
Apologies for the negativity but these are my genuine subjective observations and I'm pleased to have moved on.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #64 of 149
Jecklin Electrostatics
Pros: unbelievable dynamics, very long headphone cord.
Cons: laughably unattractive, seriously rolled off bass, quite bright.
Mine were fairly reliable except for
1. replacement of power switch on adapter
2. foams decomposing and needing replacement.
Both were done by Tivoli Hi Fi in Melbourne.
I sold mine and now have 3 Staxen (Omega 2, Lambda Nova Signature and Sigma). Any of these Staxen were better in all areas except dynamics.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #65 of 149
I would absolutly LOVE to hear these, i have owned all of the oskar speakers, the kithara's being my current love affair. To hear this driver being used in a headphone must be amazing.

I couldnt talk my local dealer into getting a setup, he figured it would be too hard of a sell, i cant really blame him i guess. But if i were to get a set on my head, im sure there is a good chance they would be coming home with me.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #66 of 149
Insofar as the critism over my review is concerned, I readily recognise the "deficianecy" in the bass, I also recognise that these headphones may simply strike a resonant chrod with me and the way in which i like to hear sound. I however would say they are "world class" insofar as the term may be applied, IMHO, because i prefer them to both the HD650 and the HF-1. Although, they, while coming close in some senses, do not nearly match the O2.

You shoud expect another REDUX review of my position on the headphones next year.

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #67 of 149
Duggeh,
your review has to be the equivalent of Lord Of The Rings - a literary masterpiece!

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #68 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
Duggeh,
your review has to be the equivalent of Lord Of The Rings - a literary masterpiece!

Or at least The Hobbit.
lambda.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #69 of 149
Farmer Ham of Bacon! -- no, no, sorry, haven't got that right yet. Let's see.. leaf by niggle.. carry the toe... um..

The Silmarilmoomintrollillion!

Couldn't be The Hobbit-- they all live in New Zealand. Don't they?

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #70 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
The Silmarilmoomintrollillion!

Does an all out war between the forces of AMT and electrodynamics break out, culminating in the musical gods returning to the earth to shatter the kingdom of sonic mediocrity? One can only hope...

Quote:

Couldn't be The Hobbit-- they all live in New Zealand. Don't they?

Nah, British actors come here to play them.

Doug, we're waiting!

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #71 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Tut tut, my dear Wualta. You should have practiced reticence, but now you're going to have to give us a full and in depth review.

Right then. Coming to a separate thread near you. Meanwhile, Duggeh, see if you can't snag one cheap; shake out a bit of that Caledonian eBay magic from your sporrin. Preliminary results here at The Lab lead me to expect good results with the Ergo filter box (for that's what it truly be) and the AMTs. Have a good separate EQ unit waiting in the wings.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #72 of 149
Put my money down for a T-amp just tonight :s Also want to build a new magicbox using highest quality parts.

The scotsman will aye keep his eye on the eBhey tho. Basic EQ boxes seem to go for less than a tenner sometimes.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #73 of 149
Thass tha sperrit, lad!

EDIT: Wouldn't you like to read a report on the granddaddy of the Ergo AMT, the ESS Mark 1 (which you now own)? Of course you would. This is from the esteamed (pshhhhh) Boston Audio Society newsletter, The Speaker, and it's from October 1976. Cut and pasted from the BAS website. Either the modern cavalier abuse of apo'strophe's's and spelling is older than we thought, or a present-day intern was given the thankless task of transcribing the old newsletters.

ESS Mk. I Headphones -- a Listening Report

When Phil Coelho of ESS spoke at a BAS meeting about the ESS Heil speakers, he brought
with him a pair of Mark 1 stereo headphones, which were then a brand new product. These
were left behind for evaluation by BAS members, and this report compiles our comments on
the Mark 1's.
It may be significant that this "test panel" never gathered together in one place to listen
under uniform conditions or to compare notes. Of course, headphones defy instantaneous
A-B comparison because it's impossible for most people to wear two pair at once, but some
of the variables might have been better controlled -- the comparative units, the source ma-
terial, and the electronics. Even taking all the variables into account, the range of comments
is a bit surprising, if not staggering.
Our listeners numbered six -- Ira Leonard, Mark Foreman and Al Foster (who listened
together), Bob Graham, Bob Borden, and myself. Personal taste and physiology being what
they are, it's not too surprising that Bob Borden at the one extreme could liken the phones to
very tight vices [sic] while Mark and Al could pronounce them "very comfortable. " After all, Bob
was comparing the Heils with AKG's [sic] and Mark and Al with Koss Pro 4AA's. The more dis-
concerting extremes were to have Bob Graham assert that he's "not easily pleased" by head-
phones class the Heils as a superior headphone with smooth clean sound as "undistorted as
I've ever heard from headphones," while Ira Leonard pronounced the sound "canned, raspy,
and super-cavelike."
For the record, the Heils list at $97 and weigh in at 22 ounces with fourteen feet of
coiled cable and at eighteen ounces without. Although the ear-cushions surround the ear and
provide a good seal, the drivers are vented at the rear, so the isolation from ambient noise
is not high. More significantly, the headphones are unusually inefficient. Some of the panel
-- including myself -- were able to drive them from the headphone jacks on our electronics,
but others could not. ESS provides an adapter for hooking the headsets to the speaker taps
of an amplifier, but Al Foster and Mark Foreman found this alternative unsatisfactory be-
cause it produced hum and hiss at their speakers. Bob Borden -- who could use them with
his headphone jack -- nevertheless found the speaker tap adapter gave better sound. A sep-
arate headphone amplifier seems worth considering. Here's a tabulation of our jury's find-
ings.
Ira Leonard, comparing with Yamaha HP-1S [sic]. Location of instruments seemed to be fre-
quency dependent, with cymbals and other high-pitched instruments seeming more prominent
and forward and the midrange sounding farther back. "Not a pleasant or a comfortable ex-
perience."
Mark Foreman and A1 [sic] Foster, comparing with Koss Pro 4AA . Bass "fat" and boomy,
though some bass notes seem to be missing, Nothing above 10 KHz. Pro 4AA's more natural.

Bob Borden, comparing with AKG . "After 10 minutes of listening, they induced pain
within my ears." After that he could listen for over an hour "with no great discomfort and
few sonic irritations." Pleasant, smooth sound with excellent transients but lacking trans-
parency.
Bob Graham, comparing with AKG 60 . Bass audible to 30 Hz. Revealed instrumental de-
tail. Clearly superior to the AKG's. Also compared the Heils to other phones including the
Stax SR-3 and found the differences subtle.
I will leave it to dispassionate audiophiles (those who have not replaced a component
within two years) to decide if it's significant that the more favorable comments came from
users of AKG headphones, and whether that says more about the headphones or about the
users. As for my own comments, I will pass up this opportunity to find creative adjectives
to describe what I heard through these headphones (Gordon Gow, are you out there?). I side
with the thumbs-down crowd. I was always relieved to return to my Pro 4AA's after listen-
ing to the Heils. -- Henry G. Belot

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #74 of 149
Today I did something rash.

cutthestupidAMTlead.jpg

Yes, I cut off that damnable stupid 6 pronged monstrosity.

straightintot-amp.jpg

The AMT is now connected directly to the T-amp. The sound seems slightly cleaner now, theres sort of less of a smear to things than there was with the magicbox. Theres also the added portability bonus.

portableAMT.jpg

Just add iPod and strut your stuff.

Using a small bass boost at 82Hz now too. Improves tactility without causing unwanted resonant noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back