The Ergo AMT Review. (56k, Dont Even Try)
Sep 7, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 149
Wise words setmenu, thank you. Im not cranking the bass dial all the way to 11 though, just sloping it slightly. And I dont ever use the AMT for listening to drum and bass type music. Turning the bass up a little gives a better effect to listening than reducing the treble does. Although my NAD only has 1 dial for each and is not a proper graphic eq.

I will probably shoot an email off to the Precide though, just to get their own feedback on eq. I think ill ask them about possible sonic improvments to the Amp1 when its used with a beefier power supply. At the minute its on 16V 500ma, but the rear panel says it will take 18V.

As for the EQ of the equipment itself, its definately the Amp and transformer that have the EQ applied to them to correct for the headphones. Althoguh which part of the Amp1 performs this function I've no idea. In the transformer im lead to believe its to do with the coils (oe of which had disconnected).

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #47 of 149
The phones are around 4 Ohm impedance if I recollect?
Sounds like a nice candidate for diy amp project!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You could then build in your eq specifically aimed at the frequencies of interest.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #49 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Oh by the way, has anyone tried the TakeT piezoelectric heil drivers?

Way to volunteer, soldier. Pick up a set at your neighbourhood TakeT agent's and report back.

Oh darn, they're talking about a Hyle driver. Never mind.

I don't know how or why you found that, Carl, but it reminded me of something I'd completely forgotten. Way back in the late '70s I ordered a developer's kit of PVDF film from Pennwalt (who were then manufacturing PVDF film. No relation) to make that very thing, a self-powered Heil. Imagine an AMT with no honking big magnet structure to get in the way. Unfortunately, the kit went missing during a move. I'm glad someone's finally taken up the idea and is running with it. There's still the capacitive nature of a piezo driver to deal with, but it's an encouraging development.

They make a speaker AMT too. Nifty! They call that one the TAKET-BATPRO.

The headphones are a little pricey at $2300 for the 'phones and transformer box. Still..

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #50 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Way to volunteer, soldier. Pick up a set at your neighbourhood TakeT agent's and report back.

Oh no, I wouldn't want to deprive our neighbourhood isodynamic and AMT fan the chance to be first. That would be too cruel and ill-meaning ever for myself!

Well, maybe in a year or two when I actually have some money.

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #51 of 149
Quote:

Oh no, I wouldn't want to deprive our neighbourhood isodynamic and AMT fan the chance to be first.

Of course you would! It's fun! I promise to get all flustered and splutter in a comically envious fashion. It'll be grand.

Quote:

That would be too cruel and ill-meaning ever for myself!

Not at all, sir. Not at all.

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #52 of 149
I got an email back from Precide.

We have tested a 16 V 1 A power supply, The result is marginal,
maybe a little bit more headroom...

They said this was part of the reason for designing the Amp 2. So I think Ill just leave the PSU as is. Im using the transformer box more at the minute anyway.

Also tried a different speaker cable for the transformer box but couldnt hear any differnces.

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #53 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Im using the transformer box more at the minute anyway.

Yay! Go transformer box! Even though there are no transformers in it.

Sep 12, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #55 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
It transforms speaker wire into the amazing 6 pin connector.

Adapter box perhaps?

Nah, let's confuse the noobs and continue by analogy to call it a transformer box. I like your definition, though.

Sep 12, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #58 of 149
Ive spent half of today drawing up plans for a better, home made transformer of magic. Once I get the idea I have put onto jpeg I'll be sure to ask the gurus in the DIY forums for their help.

What I want to do is build a box with a T-amp built in, and with a switch for using an external poweramp also. Also want to reconstruct the Precide transformer as it is, using better quality parts. Possibly reterminate the Headphones to banana plugs or XLR too. But as I say, all paper and research just now.

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #60 of 149
If your question is "Duggeh have you heard..." you can bet your bottom dollor the answer will be no.
wink.gif

Why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back