The Ergo AMT Review. (56k, Dont Even Try)
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #136 of 149
You should see me with my real face: it'worst!!!
k1000smile.gif

The fact is that I'm not better with an Ergo!……
lambda.gif

I had the chance to borrow an AMT a year ago — and to compare it with others headphones. The k1000 is perhaps more transparent, but I found the AMT had a beautiful medium (what a violin I heard!
blink.gif
). Someday, maybe, if I can afford it……
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #138 of 149
Oct 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #140 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worst bump ever.

seriously? $1,15 per pill seems like a good deal to me!!!!11!

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #143 of 149
The thread is even older now, still I will insist on it !
Like you, I also had some problems to set the ERGO AMT / AMP2 on the head for best listening. But I arrived to the following situation:
- I removed the rear pads quickly: they do not bring real additional bass to me
- I set a system to enlarge the distance between the two sides (I achieved it by bending a flexible sawyer blade - Of course, the blade is protected with adhesives to avoid cutting... and then bent to the way it is needed and fixed with adhesives to both sides and will be installed on the rear of your head (it passes behind your neck and is not felt). This way, the ears do not touch the sides and you can position the headphone the best way to your ears (each head is different).
You have no more problem then with the position and you do not complain about the mix treble/medium/bass.
- I even installed one small pad on each shoulder, therefore the headphone is slightly up by a few mm and does not touch your head at all. You are in concert. However, as you can guess, you need an armchair with a high and inclined back for ideal rest.

With this, I obtain the best of the sound. I have not heard that type of performance anywhere else. Especially the sound stage is very close to those of loudspeakers. It needs about 5 to 10 minutes maximum to clearly be "in concert" (but the source should also be at its best and this is often not the case: the system detects quickly if you listen to an excellent recording or not...)

Now, this is not finished: with all headphones, I noticed that the below-50 Hz part (like in loudspeakers) is always reducing a lot (by 5 dB or more) and the sound that is obtained will always be lacking in this area. I hopefully have a Velodyne DD15 and adjusted the sound to the headphones. This way, the system gives 100 % satisfaction to me... it just gives an exact and natural sound.

The only limit for quality is the source you use for the music. Nothing else !

Another information: Before buying them, 6 months ago, I tested them side to side with Sennheiser HD 800. I had my own CD with 40 different recordings of 30" in all respects (classical, jazz, pop, bass, treble, male and female voices). I listened during 1 hour. I spent 20 % on the HD 800... although good, I was so stuck with the performance of the Ergos... I spent my other 80 % on them. Maybe a personal attraction, however, that is the fact...

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #146 of 149

Quote:
The thread is even older now, still I will insist on it !
Like you, I also had some problems to set the ERGO AMT / AMP2 on the head for best listening. But I arrived to the following situation:
- I removed the rear pads quickly: they do not bring real additional bass to me
- I set a system to enlarge the distance between the two sides (I achieved it by bending a flexible sawyer blade - Of course, the blade is protected with adhesives to avoid cutting... and then bent to the way it is needed and fixed with adhesives to both sides and will be installed on the rear of your head (it passes behind your neck and is not felt). This way, the ears do not touch the sides and you can position the headphone the best way to your ears (each head is different).
You have no more problem then with the position and you do not complain about the mix treble/medium/bass.
- I even installed one small pad on each shoulder, therefore the headphone is slightly up by a few mm and does not touch your head at all. You are in concert. However, as you can guess, you need an armchair with a high and inclined back for ideal rest.

With this, I obtain the best of the sound. I have not heard that type of performance anywhere else. Especially the sound stage is very close to those of loudspeakers. It needs about 5 to 10 minutes maximum to clearly be "in concert" (but the source should also be at its best and this is often not the case: the system detects quickly if you listen to an excellent recording or not...)

Now, this is not finished: with all headphones, I noticed that the below-50 Hz part (like in loudspeakers) is always reducing a lot (by 5 dB or more) and the sound that is obtained will always be lacking in this area. I hopefully have a Velodyne DD15 and adjusted the sound to the headphones. This way, the system gives 100 % satisfaction to me... it just gives an exact and natural sound.

The only limit for quality is the source you use for the music. Nothing else !

Another information: Before buying them, 6 months ago, I tested them side to side with Sennheiser HD 800. I had my own CD with 40 different recordings of 30" in all respects (classical, jazz, pop, bass, treble, male and female voices). I listened during 1 hour. I spent 20 % on the HD 800... although good, I was so stuck with the performance of the Ergos... I spent my other 80 % on them. Maybe a personal attraction, however, that is the fact...

I would love to see some pictures of that..

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #147 of 149
I had my chance, and will again some day, to use my mother in law's Ergo AMT's (I say mother in law because she is the daughter of Oskar Heil, but really my father in law wanted them back). It's been a few years since I was able to use them, and I'm pretty sure that I only used them with crappy audio equipment (if you could call an original Xbox, plugged into a Phillips tube HDTV, and out to the Ergo "crappy audio equipment"). I'm currently using Dr. Heil's own (from the original box) ESS Mark 1 Heil AMT Stereophones. http://i.imgur.com/JFH8OBY.jpg?1 I've yet to figure out how to attach them to my AEA amp, as it has no headphone jack. So the iPod it is!

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #148 of 149
About the amps driving the AMT, with wich amp do you achieve the best results?
Anyone give a try with some high end amp like Spectral, Norma, Classe Dr3, Sugden A21, Firstwatt SIT-3...???
My personal impression is that this headphones are SOO good that any improvement in amplification/source can be noticed.
Furthermore, i think that AMT with direct connection(no adapter) to speakers outputs can be a real mobile "quality tester" for any power amp!!!
I am starting to be disposed to spend to buy true high end amplifiers for this headphones more than I was prepared to spend for speakers. This is ridiculous , I know, but....true story!!

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #149 of 149

Have you any pic to better understand ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back