the er4s challenge
Jan 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SultaanJabraan

New Head-Fier
first up, despite being a new member ive used this forum for ages. keep up the gr8 work people.

so within the space of 2 weeks, all my IEMs have died. er4s, er6 and superfi 5vi
mad.gif

needless to say im looking for a replacement.

i would just buy the er4s again, but im not willing to shell out the cash for a quality cable (as we all know the stock one is prone to breaking+microphonics).

budget is roughly £100.

I need something with a detailed low end and nothing boomy. a big soundstage would be nice also.

any recommendations?
this will be paired with my cowon i9. very powerful piece of kit which had no problems in driving my er4s!!!!!

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 16
im thinking phonak audeo, although slightly concerned by the cable crack issue.

from reviews they seem pretty neutral like the er4s, but punch out a tad more bass and soundstage.

wise choice?

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Maybe you should just buy cheap IEMs. You are clearly abusing your headphones!

I tend to agree. My ER4P cable is doing great after several years. I think the cable quality is very good, despite the microphonics.

Quote:
im thinking phonak audeo, although slightly concerned by the cable crack issue.

from reviews they seem pretty neutral like the er4s, but punch out a tad more bass and soundstage.

wise choice?

My third pair of PFE has been holding up great...they're about 2 years old. My first pair had the bad cracking issue and the cable at the housing split open on my second pair.  It seems like Audeo corrected those problems long ago. IMO, the PFE does have a larger soundstage compared to ER4. The PFE aren't as brutally honest in the midrange as ER4 but have better upper treble. I also find low bass to be more satisfying with PFE.

I have the ER4P but use my XM5 sometimes for "S" conversion which sounds better to me.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 16
I have the ER4P and the cable is extremely durable, much more than other IEMs i've seen...what have you been doing to those poor ER4s? D:

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 16
lol, no doubt im very hard on my phones. but they get alot of usage whilst running and at the gym. also, never let ur friends borrow them!

i couldnt deal with getting non-reference style buds, they tire my ears too quickly, thus i wont be settling for cheaper buds.

ok, after some reading the dynamics have changed!
there's alot of info and comparisons done on these already so ill try not to waste anyones time asking basic questions. from my reading heres what i think is going on (correct me if im wrong):

1. SA1 - good soundstage, relatively warm sounding, resolution and clarity not the best.
2. Phonak Audeo pfe - more clinical than sa1 and s4 but lacking in soundstage
3. Klipsch s4 - big sounding, punchy low end. perhaps too much for my liking.

on that basis, im leaning toward the pfe.....
 i really should save up some more cash and look towards the sa6. but i need some buds fast!

anything i missed out?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 16

when you say that your ER4S and ER6 died, how did they die? Maybe they are OK and just need new filters. It is possible that the filters are nastily clogged since you use them for the gym and for running. If that's the case, the same fate will follow to the Phonaks or any balanced armature IEM that uses filters. You should really check out what's wrong with your ER4S and ER6.

Quote:
lol, no doubt im very hard on my phones. but they get alot of usage whilst running and at the gym. also, never let ur friends borrow them!

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Quote:
anything i missed out?

In that range and considering you presumably liked the er4s, ety hf5?

etys are too clinical for my liking. the clarity was ridiculously good, but sometimes thats a bad thing if you have a bad recording. im a bit tired of that kind of sound, but not completely.
coming from a guitar and musical background, i know a bit about recording and mic placements. using etys is cool because you can tell exactly how everythings put together, but its a very anal way of listening imo. im leaning to something slightly more musical.

also, i need the slightest bit more bass to get me pumped at the gym!

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 16
appreciate you trying to save me money buddy! but they are totalled.
im handy with a soldering iron. replaced part of the cable on the er4s, but its not the same. im 99% sure the filters and drivers are fine.
also replaced the jacks on the er6i and 5vi yesterday, but those buds just rnt good enough anymore!

Quote:
when you say that your ER4S and ER6 died, how did they die? Maybe they are OK and just need new filters. It is possible that the filters are nastily clogged since you use them for the gym and for running. If that's the case, the same fate will follow to the Phonaks or any balanced armature IEM that uses filters. You should really check out what's wrong with your ER4S and ER6.

Quote:

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 16
btw, do you know that the cable on the ER4S is replaceable? I think that Etymotic sells the a new cable for $75 to $100. You may want to check with them.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 16
yeah, that was my first inclination.
but again, im tired of "that" sound.
although not the price of a new decent set of iems, its still a considerable amount of cash.

Quote:
btw, do you know that the cable on the ER4S is replaceable? I think that Etymotic sells the a new cable for $75 to $100. You may want to check with them.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 16
I would recommend then the Panasonic HJE-900. You may still be able to find these for $130-$150 in the US. They are musical, have bass whichi is not overpowering, and a good clarity. They are also pretty well built with a replaceable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back