The Endgame Headphone - is there an end?
Nov 29, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #46 of 65
My guess and impression is that if you have the Abyss or the Stax 009 combined with the best amps money can buy like the VIVA Egoista or WooAudio Mono Blocks combined with a MSB Diamond DAC or a Chord DAVE with JPS Labs Superconductor cabling for the Abyss and Blue Hawaii amp with MSB Diamond or Chord DAVE for the Stax SR-009 can sound better than the Orpheus and Orpheus II , because these headphones are scaleable and get better and better with better components to drive these phones.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #47 of 65
My guess and impression is that if you have the Abyss or the Stax 009 combined with the best amps money can buy like the VIVA Egoista or WooAudio Mono Blocks combined with a MSB Diamond DAC or a Chord DAVE with JPS Labs Superconductor cabling for the Abyss and Blue Hawaii amp with MSB Diamond or Chord DAVE for the Stax SR-009 can sound better than the Orpheus and Orpheus II , because these headphones are scaleable and get better and better with better components to drive these phones.

Hi,
you have it all! The owner of a beautiful hifi store and the owner of an Abyss. Life doesn't get much better. I have heard the Abyss - like the legendary AKG K1000 but with bass - monster bass. And the ability to hold a conversation while you're wearing them too. I have an HE-6 which I'm happy with but that does not detract from my thoughts about the Abyss. It's just that I got the HE-6 for under £600. I would have got an Abyss if price had been no object. My mini beast F6 DIy build would have made easy game of it's power and voltage needs. The Abyss will not be selling for that for a long time , if ever. It is endgame, end of story. 
Congratulations on B & O's flagship headphone by the way - I was really impressed with that when I heard it t CanJam London. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #51 of 65
Thank you Mark , glad to see there's someone on the ball
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #52 of 65
The survey in general it does not make sense. For the reason that there is something extraordinary in quality were produced or manufactured in small batches . And most of these headphones is simply not heard or make a choice on the basis of rumors / comments . A majority of honest voters choose from what heard - commercially available products . Probably a very good but not outstanding .

May 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #53 of 65
  The survey in general it does not make sense. For the reason that there is something extraordinary in quality were produced or manufactured in small batches . And most of these headphones is simply not heard or make a choice on the basis of rumors / comments . A majority of honest voters choose from what heard - commercially available products . Probably a very good but not outstanding .

I don't understand a word of this - you do not make sense

May 31, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #54 of 65
He is trying to say that the poll is bad because he believes that the voters have not heard all of the headphones listed. He may or may not be correct about that (I've heard 11 of them). However, he misunderstands what the poll is measuring. It is a measure of long term customer satisfaction.

May 31, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #55 of 65
If you could devise a poll that also showed the owners who were NOT happy with and/or replaced their ToTL headphones in the first year, you could create a ratio for each model between the two polls that might be revealing. It would correct for the relative sales volumes of each headphone model.

May 31, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #56 of 65
Personally I believe there is no "end-game".

I guess you could look at the most prestigious brands reference headphones and compare them yourself and come up with your own opinion on "best" and then choose that one until new ones come out and you compare against that. Its all subjective at the end of the day.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #57 of 65
I'm interested in people like Dillan who have had their phones for years and haven't sold them on for the next best thing.
People who sell their TOTL phones before a year maybe looking for something that isn't there. You need time to life with the sound signature of a phone, once you get to a certain level there are few bad sounding headphones, only different sounding ones.
It is subjective and I have not gone anywhere near a year when I haven't bought a headphone!

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #58 of 65
The problem for me is the upgrade path does not lead me to a singular headphone. That is to upgrade from the HD650 that I bought in 2003, I do not see a single headphone that does all aspects of sound well. Thus I will most likely end with the trio of HD800S/HE1000/PS1000e, with perhaps a modified HD800 thrown into the mix. But no single headphone captivates me in the same way as the HD650 did from 2003 to 2015, at which point I began to acquire the upgrades.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #59 of 65
Personally I believe there is no "end-game".

I guess you could look at the most prestigious brands reference headphones and compare them yourself and come up with your own opinion on "best" and then choose that one until new ones come out and you compare against that. Its all subjective at the end of the day.

There is definitely an endgame. The problem is that it doesn't last very long.

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #60 of 65
In the end, all of this is relative.

You often see comments like "I have found my endgame headphone.", and this applies to all price brackets, not just top tier. (Here is one notable example.)

For some, an affordable headphone can be endgame. For others of the more curious persuasion, nothing will ever be endgame, because there is a practically endless supply of headphones to try. Like the first post implied, it can be a never-ending quest if you let it be. Plenty of long-time headphone owners who have stated that their current headphones are their endgame eventually succumbed to temptation and experimented further. This is an inevitable destiny for many of us, and something to keep in mind.

There's also the fact that numerous headphone enthusiasts are interested in various sound signatures, not only the "best" and most accurate one.

I occasionally see owners of high-end headphones "downgrade" to something more affordable. (I've done it before as well.) Though this can come down to financial issues, it can also be due to simply either preferring the sound of the cheaper pair or not being willing to pay the premium for what is deemed to be not enough of an upgrade.

Regarding the efficacy of the poll...I think that it is ultimately only going to demonstrate the relative popularity of the various models among ultra-high-end headphone owners who have participated. Someone may have owned one of them for over a year with no intention of switching or otherwise expanding—a useful point of data in and of itself—but this doesn't tell you anything else, really. Endgame generally means something that you are happy with to the extent that you no longer feel the desire to try anything else; however, this does not necessarily mean that you have compared all the available choices to come to this conclusion. For this reason, the phrase "they are the best" (at the top of the poll) can be misleading, as even if there were a way to judge which headphone is the absolute best in the selection, such an assessment would be predicated on hearing them all (or in this case, owning them all for over a year) in the first place. If the wording were to be changed to "they are the best I have heard", it would simplify things.

Concerning more objective matters such as audio fidelity...I don't believe that terms like "best" and "endgame" should be foisted upon others and associated with a particular thing in a definite sense, since what matters most is the subjective experience: what is best for you as a unique individual. A headphone can be higher fidelity in one respect but lower fidelity in another. Higher fidelity reproduction can easily sound worse for less than stellar recordings. So there are trade-offs. Still, some headphones are undoubtedly higher fidelity than others, but this is not always as set in stone as one might think.

One of the most important things that should be mentioned (and rarely is for one reason or another) is that headphones can be equalized to have the same frequency response. I feel that this is a better gauge for the true quality of a headphone, once you have tapped into the potential of its frequency response and can then compare to other headphones based on what they are truly capable of instead of primarily comparing the stock tuning.

Taking things further, modifications open up more possibilities. Especially intriguing are the ones (such as this) that can be used with all sorts of headphones.

These are exciting avenues that have yet to be explored on a sufficient scale, and they could very well turn the tables on the established hierarchy of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back