The End of Nearly Four Years of Grim Silence
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Lazarus Short

Headphoneus Supremus
At my workplace, headphones were a no-no. Even hoodies were frowned on, as they might be hiding headphones. Now, today, it was announced that headphones would be allowed on a trial basis. Yowie!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man that wouldn't have flown round my joint. Plenty of pairs of Senns and of course my outlandish k701s!
k701smile.gif
Man do I get some weird looks from visitors...

as long as you're not working at MCD..you will get no weird looks from me!!

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 17
Oh, dude, I'd be like, "Liquid Tension Experiment on my K-1000's with an SVS sub for a little bass boost, here I come!"

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by milagu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man that wouldn't have flown round my joint. Plenty of pairs of Senns and of course my outlandish k701s!
k701smile.gif
Man do I get some weird looks from visitors...

where do you work!?

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 17
Hahah... nah I do IT at an environmental engineering firm. We're always having partners, municipalities, county people, etc walking through and my desk is positioned such that I get spotted pretty easily... especially when my head has been mounted by the 701s.
icon10.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, dude, I'd be like, "Liquid Tension Experiment on my K-1000's with an SVS sub for a little bass boost, here I come!"

Kick off every morning with Paradigm Shift, turn up the sub to max. Skip to 0:30 for the full effect.

In all seriousness, I've never heard of companies that disapprove of headphones or music. My dad listens to music through his little PC speakers in his office all the time, and his company is reasonably formal. What's the deal?

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm amazed that a company would ban headphones. I could understand that maybe only closed cans could be allowed or if one actually had to deal with the public that one couldn't use phones.

I'm a sociology professor, private office, full stereo kit (low volume when my next door office mate is in as we have hollow walls, but when she's out--I let it rip and wake up those poor fools in the chemistry labs).

I use phones when I'm engaged in critical listening or travelling or just because I can.

Well, I hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

Cheers!

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm amazed that a company would ban headphones. I could understand that maybe only closed cans could be allowed or if one actually had to deal with the public that one couldn't use phones.

Me too.

I think a comfortable working environment makes you work better/harder. I hate when companies and organizations make up lame rules that have seemingly no purpose whatsoever.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 17
My work would love if I wore headphones
confused_face.gif
! Congratulations!

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 17
i used to work for a company where a lot of people wore headphones, including me, and the boss had a problem with my wearing of headphones. nobody elses.

there are a lot of reasons why it's ok that i don't work there anymore.

at my current job, i'm not sure how much of this hobby i should expose them to. But nobody cares that i wear headphones.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 17
Music helps me focus on my work. If I'm solving a difficult problem, the music is completely blocked out anyway. Employers should think about what helps their workers concentrate better: background noise or music. It's obvious to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back