The Eddie Current HD-25 has landed!
May 21, 2006 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Within the past couple of months, I have had the opportunity to hear a lot of amps. While they all sounded good in various ways, there was always something about the sound that I could pinpoint and criticize. It doesnt do dynamics, the midrange is not as present, the highs are etched, bass is not tight enough, not enough depth and air in soundstage, etc. etc. I felt that no matter how good an amp could sound and excel in certain areas, it seemed inevitable that there were bound to be compromises in one or more key areas. With each and every amp that entered my rig, I felt i was getting more and more critical and analytical about the gear, and the music was getting farther and farther away from me...

...until the EC-01 came. I recently did a review on the EC-01 with 6moons, and I can honestly say that it was the most enjoyable experience that I have had with an amp. As a reviewer. I have to put on the critique hat more often than not, but the EC-01 forced me to take it off and just enjoy the music again. The EC-01 was utterly distracting, whose sole purpose was for me to enjoy the music. No it is not perfect and I am sure there are better amps out there, all I can say is that the EC-01 brought me closer to the music, which had been lacking for a long time. I also realized that when a component comes into your rig that brings you closer to the music, you keep it where it belongs, and I ended up buying the review sample.

During the review process, I had asked Craig about what he thought about the comparison between the EC-01 w/ EC/DC and his discontinued HD25. Craig had stated that the EC-01 w/ EC/DC was smooth and accurate, whereas the HD25 was punchier, more dynamic, and played with authority. Craig had also mentioned to me that the HD25 seemed to bring him closer to the music than the EC-01 w/ EC/DC, and was rivaled only by his Zana Deux. Craig feels that the difference between the EC-01/EC/DC and the HD25 is similar to the HD25 vs. Zana, in that each jump brings you closer to what enjoying music is all about.

Ever since my joining these boards, not a week went by where I didn't check out the Eddie Current website and admire the HD300 and HD25. They seemed to have it all - cool retro looks, great design, great sound, great price, what else could you ask for? A personal audition with a HD300 confirmed that Craig knew a thing or two about great tube amp circuit design and how to do it without breaking the bank. Yet I never bit, and I have no idea why. Was it the lack of user impressions/reviews? Was it not glitzy enough, did it not have enough options? with the HD25, we had a tube amp that could drive all impedances with authority, that offered 3 inputs, a tape output, and a preamp output, all for 595 (one of the reasons for me not wanting to go with the HD300 is because I am a grado-head). Craig had mentioned to me that a whole year went by without a single sale of the HD25, and increasing manufacturing costs with lack of support caused him to discontinue it.

I was able to score an audition with a HD25 from a local headfier, and have been listening to her for the past 2 weeks. All I can say is that I knew this thing was not going back. I find myself immersed in the sound. One second I am rocking out, feet tapping and arms flailing wildly, the next second eyes closed, hands conducting with the emotion of the music perfectly intact and filling me inside with its warm embrace. I was an idiot for not getting this amp when it was available, and sometimes I guess it is true that we do not realize what we have before us until it is gone. I consider myself lucky that I was able to even find anyone with this amp more or less a local headfier who let me audition it, and on top of that letting me make him an offer to let it stay here where it belongs and allow me to call this beautiful amp one of my own. The HD25 is punchy and dynamic, with just the perfect amount of harmonic fullness, midrange lucidity, and soundstage immersion that seems to be consistent with properly executed tube amps. Right now I am listening to a live choral concert recorded by my choir with the Grado HP-1000's and G08 through the HD25, and I swear I can hear each and every single one of my student's voices clearly and precisely, yet the cohesiveness of the group and the clarity of the whole musical message is perfectly intact.

Thermionic emission is the real deal folks, and the HD25 serves up a buffet of musical pleasure and enjoyment like no other. I can only wonder and imagine what joys a Zana Deux would bring
eek.gif
But for now, I am content knowing I have found my "reference" amp upon which I shall judge other amps upon, not based purely on techincal merits or various audiophile traits and characteristics, but by the ability to suck a listener into the music and keep him there, unable and unwilling to do anything else, and forcing the listener to sit back and enjoy where the gear is secondary to the primary objective of musical enjoyment.

hd25.JPG

hd251.JPG

May 21, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 40
congrats... hopefully one day i'll get me one of those
Jude reviewed it a while back.... and that's how i came to want one... but by then it was out of production... good to see it back in the light...

May 21, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 40
Wow, a whole year without a single sale?? That is indeed a beautiful looking amp (actually love how it goes with your contemporary black G08), and as you've got a great ear, I trust that its sound quality is gorgeous. Too bad that older gear sometimes falls by the wayside in favor of the next round of FOTM's here on head-fi. I guess in the case of the HD25, it never even got its 15 minutes of fame. I'd love to hear that amp some day; under $595 seems impossibly cheap for an amp like that.

On the plus side, I'm sure that with your endorsement there will be a resurgance of interest for Eddie Current amps - look what you did for the HP1000
biggrin.gif

Now it's time for you to get a nice Singlepower amp to write a comparison review
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
If the HD25 were produced today, I think the price would be closer to $800 or $900 and well worth it. At $595 it was truly a bargain.

Very true...that amp needs more fame.

May 21, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 40
recstar24, welcome to the exclusive Eddie Current club only for those in the know. When I had Todd’s G08 loaner connected with his Cardas Golden Reference cables to my Eddie Current (branded Moth Audio) EC-2A3 it was absolute sonic bliss. Eddie Current is one of the biggest undiscovered, covered-up and under appreciated amp manufactures on Head-Fi. Most of the Head-Fi masses don’t know what they are missing, but we do.
wink.gif

Right now, I am grooving to Jack Johnson’s Brushfire Fairytales and my newly acquired Apollo has taken my digital set-up to the next level. The Scout and the EC-2A3 is truly magical and even closer to a live music experience imagined.

Congrats! On the HD-25 I initially wanted one, but couldn’t find it. So when Craig offered to build me an EC-2A3 I jump on the opportunity after listening to his Black Rose.

By the way, I am probably going to visit Craig this week to listen to something he is whipping up. I am pretty excited. It might be his next offering.

Ryan, enjoy your Eddie Current HD-25.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
recstar24, welcome to the exclusive Eddie Current club only for those in the know. When I had Todd’s G08 loaner connected with his Cardas Golden Reference cables to my Eddie Current (branded Moth Audio) EC-2A3 it was absolute sonic bliss. Eddie Current is one of the biggest undiscovered, covered-up and under appreciated amp manufactures on Head-Fi. Most of the Head-Fi masses don’t know what they are missing, but we do.
wink.gif

Right now, I am grooving to Jack Johnson’s Brushfire Fairytales and my newly acquired Apollo has taken my digital set-up to the next level. The Scout and the EC-2A3 is truly magical and even closer to a live music experience imagined.

Congrats! On the HD-25 I initially wanted one, but couldn’t find it. So when Craig offered to build me an EC-2A3 I jump on the opportunity after listening to his Black Rose.

By the way, I am probably going to visit Craig this week to listen to something he is whipping up. I am pretty excited. It might be his next offering.

Ryan, enjoy your Eddie Current HD-25.
icon10.gif

I concur - Craig's stuff is marvelous. Eddie Current has stayed outside of some of the political amp wars that have graced these boards, which seems to have been a disservice to this wonderful line of amps. I guess sometimes it is better to be infamous than not even talked about at all.

A Scout should be in my future as well, good to hear some good synergy is happening between the Scout and Eddie Current.

You should have a good time at Craig's - last time we talked he has some really big plans ahead for everyone, in addition to the Zana Deux. Please make sure to share with us how your minimeet goes, and what toys Craig has in store.

May 22, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
I concur - Craig's stuff is marvelous. Eddie Current has stayed outside of some of the political amp wars that have graced these boards, which seems to have been a disservice to this wonderful line of amps. I guess sometimes it is better to be infamous than not even talked about at all.

A Scout should be in my future as well, good to hear some good synergy is happening between the Scout and Eddie Current.

You should have a good time at Craig's - last time we talked he has some really big plans ahead for everyone, in addition to the Zana Deux. Please make sure to share with us how your minimeet goes, and what toys Craig has in store.

Yes, Craig really does know how to build an awesome sounding amp. Probably among the best I've heard. The Scout is absolutely fabulous and synergy is remarkably impeccable too.

I can't wait to hear what's in store. Every time, I always walk away with great impressions. If Craig gives the OK, I'll take some photos to post and provide some impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
the zana is unbelievably good.

I agree to put it mildly.
wink.gif

May 22, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 40
even with the ec-01...Eddie Current (Craig dude) does live up to the name!

Its got to be the ugliest amp alive judging on looks alone, the inside parts move when you touch them..when the top plate is off to roll tubes the headphone jack moves more the a sky scrapper is designed to sway. I cheapest looking volume pot known to man. the rca jacks look like they were the first rca's ever created. with the top on and the view from the front reminds me of some prop used in some old Hollywood movie for something to be used in DR Frankstein's laboratory.....

the sound on the other hand is an complete 360 yet it still carries the ugliness from its looks. only this time the sound is sooo addictive this amp makes smoking and Heroin an easy quit. its nowhere near clean but a messy sound....and very very very fun messy sound...
this is an amp that costs $350 or something and someone with thousands of dollars in their audio gear can easily live with for fun.

The ec-01 is the rocker of amps! it lives the ugly but famed life of a rock star waking up in his own puke the mourning after but doing it all again that next night. the music is the groupies and their cute and useful but they only live in your life so quickly because next thing you know...your ec-01 is back on the tour bus playing something else (music) like its nothing..hell just the other night I did a world tour with my ec-01...

smiley-faces-84.gif

May 22, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 40
Ryan, now you know why I wasn't going to give my HD 25 up!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm glad to hear that you found one, and I'm glad it is measuring up to your expectations. I got to hook my amp up to bhd812's Meridian at the last Chicago meet, so I know a tiny bit of what you are experiencing. Though I can't match that source (yet), this amp just seems to make anything you attach to it sound that much more musical.

Someone mentioned Jude's review of this amp, and it was what put me on the hunt for one. (Thanks Jude for articulating the sound so well in that review) Of course, it was about that time that Craig stopped building them, so I just camped out in the FS forum and got lucky. It will take deep soul searching to ever get rid of it.

I wish you many happy hours listening to the HD 25. You can always tell who owns one by the big dumb grin on our faces!

A_Sr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back