The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #407 of 803
Good luck in your search jack.  =]

Seriously though, small velours aren't common, even less so with oval-shaped velours, I'm afraid.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #408 of 803
  please?

These might fit but I don't know, there are sizes in the comments section.
http://www.amazon.com/Auray-Deluxe-Velour-Earpads-Pair/dp/B005GC7YJ2

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #409 of 803

These might fit but I don't know, there are sizes in the comments section.
http://www.amazon.com/Auray-Deluxe-Velour-Earpads-Pair/dp/B005GC7YJ2

The pads are meant for M30 and V6/7506, so they are the size of M50's and SRH840's pads and such.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #411 of 803
Just received a pair of these: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261560058780

Are they similar to beyer velours? 

Well, they're round, fuzzy, and have a vinyl flange for installation. That's about it. 

Height and density are wrong - too thin and too dense. diameter even seems a bit wrong. (Edit: Yes, by 8mm or more too small) 

Might still be useful, but I won't get another pair and don't recommend 'em. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #412 of 803
  Just received a pair of these: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261560058780

Are they similar to beyer velours? 

Well, they're round, fuzzy, and have a vinyl flange for installation. That's about it. 

Height and density are wrong - too thin and too dense. diameter even seems a bit wrong. 

Might still be useful, but I won't get another pair and don't recommend 'em. 

They also lack holes on the inner side of the padding like original Beyer velours.  I don't why they didn't copy that aspect, it is important for Beyers at least.  Or the lack of may be beneficial for other designs or frankensteined headphones.

A little photo from another head-fier to demonstrate:

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #414 of 803

They also lack holes on the inner side of the padding like original Beyer velours.  I don't why they didn't copy that aspect, it is important for Beyers at least.  Or the lack of may be beneficial for other designs or frankensteined headphones.

A little photo from another head-fier to demonstrate:

Right. Forgot to mention that. Probably because it's obvious in the auction photos. 

Someone expecting their beyers to sound like new with these will be disappointed. 

which is not to say that they aren't useful. 

The seller also says they will fit AKGs, even lists the K270. I guarantee they won't fit a K270. You might tear them getting them onto a K240. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #415 of 803
I have a spare pair of genuine K272 velours, they're certainly significantly bigger than Beyer ones indeed.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #416 of 803
  Hi folks,

Does anyone know where I can obtain replacement earpads for my Sennheiser HD560ovII without paying through the nose?
Custom Cable and Sennheiser direct have them for £33 plus postage (£12 to Spain).
Thoman have them at €33 plus €20 postage!

These are my workhorse cans that I view as the best allrounder out there so would really like to sort them out. Maybe if someone has a positive experience of the cheapy e bay pads they could share along with any special fitting instructions?

Another possibility is if someone has a damaged or dead pair as I would ideally like to replace the worn out head band as well.

TIA

Any info out there?

Do the HD540 pads fit the HD560ovII?

Over €50 for pads just seems a bit OTT to me.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #417 of 803

Didn't see that. I ran brand new genuine K240 pads on my sextett but ultimately swapped those onto my K240-DF. 

Where's your thread for sextett pads? My sextett is EP. 

Also, turns out i have some ath-a1k pads too, but those are for my 1978 fostex t50. 

Anyway i came here today to talk about foam. The foam that sits on top of the baffle, behind the driver. 

I got this set of "thick and thin" foam discs in the mail today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261502601774

What i didn't understand from the listing is that the thin set is also a lower cell count foam. That being, far more open, less resistive. 

Should be an interesting experiment, even if i really bought it to replace the missing veloured foam pads on my DT250. 

They got here scary fast. ordered the same day as my other chinese pad stuff, which aren't even close to getting here. 

Sorry for the delay, but here's my post:

The SRH940 pads have arrived. They have a foam backing built in, to keep dust out of the headphones. The foam also softens the treble a good amount. Very high quality and comfortable.

They are a soft velour, and oval in shape. They are about perfect for my ears and don't press on the edges of my ears too much. Despite being slightly oval, they have no problems fitting on my Beyerdynamic 880 or AKG K240 Sextett.

As far as sound goes, they did not do well on my beyerdynamic 880. There was too much congestion, and the airiness and treble was gone. The bass and midrange was muffled. I even tried removing the stock beyerdynamic foam driver cover in addition to the foam backing on the pads. The sound was still muffled.

I permanently removed the foam backing built into the pads, and installed them on my Sextetts. Wow! These are the pads I've been searching for. These help bring out the midrange and treble and it's extremely transparent and neutral. Bass notes and percussion hit hard and deep, but with no bloat. It's hard to believe this is a headphone from 1975, because it destroys many modern headphones with this configuration. Highly recommended for vintage AKG, and perhaps even modern pairs as well. I'll test those next.

Essentially you just cut out the foam backing on the SRH940 velour pads and install them. I've also experimented with using foam rings under the pads to space out the pad, creating more space for your ear and widening soundstage a bit. The pad alone is sufficient though. Highly recommended.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #419 of 803
Yes, I saw those but they are far from being a good copy. Vinyl as apposed to velor and do not have the mounting rings that the 560ovii requires.

However, if you have experience of fitting them, as per my orginal post, I'm all ears :wink:

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #420 of 803
Here are some pics of what the packaging for authentic Audio-Technica HP-EP replacement pads looks like. 

These are the OEM replacement pads for the ATH-M20x, M30x, M40x, M50x and M50 headphones.

I got these directly from Amazon.com.  But before getting these, I paid full retail price for a set from an 'authorized A-T' online retailer on Amazon, but I received some cheap knock-offs that came in an unmarked plastic bag from them instead.  I immediately sent them back and requested a refund.

Believe it or not, there are absolutely zero photos of the packaging anywhere, so I just wanted to put this out there for all future buyers of these.

Bottom line is this, if you order some new Audio-Technica HP-EP pads and they don't come in this exact packaging, they are most likely fakes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back