The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #391 of 803
I wonder if there are Sennheiser earpads that would fit the Beyerdynamic DT990. I bought a used DT990 pro 250 ohms and the pads are flat like pancakes. However, probably thanks to those worn out pads, I've never experienced the piercing highs that many people complaint about. It is the smoothest sounding one among my cans right now (Grado Sr125i, Takstar HI 2050, Sennheiser HD 239)

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #392 of 803
  I wonder if there are Sennheiser earpads that would fit the Beyerdynamic DT990. I bought a used DT990 pro 250 ohms and the pads are flat like pancakes. However, probably thanks to those worn out pads, I've never experienced the piercing highs that many people complaint about. It is the smoothest sounding one among my cans right now (Grado Sr125i, Takstar HI 2050, Sennheiser HD 239)

The thicker the pads on my DT990, the more piercing the treble 
wink.gif

I'm happy using Philips SHP 2000/2500 earpads on mine. Not too deep like the new Beyer pads.
Leaves a really nice smooth sound like what you described.

I bought a couple of these headphones 2nd hand for about 5 euro each, but even brand new the whole headphone costs less than a new set of Beyer pads.
(sorry this doesn't actually address your question about Senn pads - havn't yet encountered one the right size - maybe the HD540/560/250 series might be the right size?)

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #394 of 803
Hi there, I found into some old staff in my house a pair of Pioneer Master-1s which work great still but they miss their leather ear pads. Does anybody know where can i find replacement for those? I think the outer diameter is 63mm or so..

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #395 of 803
  Do any of the eBay k240-style pads (non-velour) not suck? 

I have so many AKGs here. And I'm starting to think my K270 Playback deserves new pads. 

My experience with ebay akg pads isn't good. Though I have not tried the latest models which seem to be refreshed as of the last year.

The k270 is tricky because of the internal baffles that stick out into the center of the pad. You'd have to make sure the pad has the true dimensions of the original. If the ID is smaller then it won't fit at all. I tried with a pair of ebay velours and it fit terribly.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #397 of 803

Thanks for the guide. I've had some issues fitting the HM5 pads on some headphones in the past, particularly with the Fostex T50RP headphones. 

Definitely will give this a try! 

Cheers, 
--Jeff

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #398 of 803
I fitted the thick hm5 pads on my soundmagic hp150's the other day. The results were very good after i managed to get them on. They added some much needed depth to the pads and made the soundstage slightly deeper.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #403 of 803
 Do any of the eBay k240-style pads (non-velour) not suck? 

I have so many AKGs here. And I'm starting to think my K270 Playback deserves new pads. 

My experience with ebay akg pads isn't good. Though I have not tried the latest models which seem to be refreshed as of the last year.

The k270 is tricky because of the internal baffles that stick out into the center of the pad. You'd have to make sure the pad has the true dimensions of the original. If the ID is smaller then it won't fit at all. I tried with a pair of ebay velours and it fit terribly.

Yeah. Come to think of it i have genuine akg velours on my bass-lean k340, and i never felt like they helped those cans.

I ordered one of the better looking (deeper flanged) k240 pad sets from china, and some Chinese beyer velours for another project. And i have some superex pleathers too. So i can experiment a bit.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #404 of 803
Yeah. Come to think of it i have genuine akg velours on my bass-lean k340, and i never felt like they helped those cans.

I ordered one of the better looking (deeper flanged) k240 pad sets from china, and some Chinese beyer velours for another project. And i have some superex pleathers too. So i can experiment a bit.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Let me know how they work. I'm always interested in pad combos. Did you ever see my recommendation for the K240 Sextett? I found one of the best (imo) pad combos for that headphone.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #405 of 803
  Let me know how they work. I'm always interested in pad combos. Did you ever see my recommendation for the K240 Sextett? I found one of the best (imo) pad combos for that headphone.

Didn't see that. I ran brand new genuine K240 pads on my sextett but ultimately swapped those onto my K240-DF. 

Where's your thread for sextett pads? My sextett is EP. 

Also, turns out i have some ath-a1k pads too, but those are for my 1978 fostex t50. 

Anyway i came here today to talk about foam. The foam that sits on top of the baffle, behind the driver. 

I got this set of "thick and thin" foam discs in the mail today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261502601774

What i didn't understand from the listing is that the thin set is also a lower cell count foam. That being, far more open, less resistive. 

Should be an interesting experiment, even if i really bought it to replace the missing veloured foam pads on my DT250. 

They got here scary fast. ordered the same day as my other chinese pad stuff, which aren't even close to getting here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back