The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #766 of 803
I just got the akg k500 off ebay, but the pads are reduced to mush. What pads should I replace them with? Thanks

Edit - oh, searching for k501 pads turned up results. Velour k501 pads ought to do the trick.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #767 of 803
Obscure cans but if you are looking for pads for a Beyerdynamic DT-302 -- which is built like a HD-414 but with smaller capsules -- Plantronics Supra Plus "doughnut" pads work well.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #768 of 803
Since it's the Ear Pad thread...............more curious than anything - why did Audeze discontinue the Vegan pads? I still have two pair - one is new - but wondering since at one time they were THE pad to put on the HE-6.

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #769 of 803
Since it's the Ear Pad thread...............more curious than anything - why did Audeze discontinue the Vegan pads? I still have two pair - one is new - but wondering since at one time they were THE pad to put on the HE-6.

They also were (and still are) the best pad for the M1060 and the M1060C. The theory is that Audeze took notice that they were being used on a cheaper competitor headphone and wanted to put a stop to it. At first they were a call-to-order where you had to give the serial number of the LCD headphone you were buying them for and then, not long after that, they were discontinued completely.

VesperAudio will custom-make an all-alcantara pad for the M1060 that supposedly sounds almost identical (although the sample size for that is pretty small since I only know of 2 people that have bought them). However, those are pricey at north of $75 depending on the options selected. There also is a new Dekoni Microsuede designed for the LCD series and the ZMF Oval Suedes. Member jotaku recently did a comparison of those two pads + the vegans on the M1060 (see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...anar-headphones.820107/page-526#post-15191548). So, not all hope is lost for those unable to get vegans when they were around, but it's not ideal. Hopefully, at some point, a company (like Monoprice, since they would benefit greatly from it) will step up and make an affordable clone.

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #770 of 803
What fenestrated / perforated pads do people like that don't typically wreck the sound? My ears overheat with practically any pads nowadays, so I'm looking into fenestrated ones. This includes brainwavz Sheepskin ovals and ZMF Ori sheepskin as well.

Currently looking for options to replace pads on a Nad Viso HP (oval/ rectangle) and hifiman HE4XX (large round).

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #772 of 803
Hey all.
I'm currently wearing the Shure 840 pads on my slightly modded Fostex T50RP's. I really, really like the buttery soft feel of the 840's but have been looking at upgrading to either a Dekoni or ZMF pad that is slightly thicker. With the 840's as the benchmark, I'm not sure which material I should get. I really like the quality of leather on the 840 pads but can't find what Shure calls it (ie.."Protein" leather?), therefore I'm not sure which material is comparable with Dekoni / ZMF (Lambskin, protein, cowhide..) or what the difference in "feel" is between these options. Not sound, just feel / fit. I'm mostly asking b/c these pads can't be returned and at $60-a-pop.... Thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #773 of 803
Hi everyone, I have a pair of DT 770's as my daily driver, and I'm wanting to replace the ear pads with something more comfortable. I realize that they're often suggested as one of the most comfortable headphones for lengthy sessions (which I'm having a lot more of during this quarantine), but unfortunately, that's not the case for me. I have a pair of Bose QC35 for when I travel, and they're just supremely comfortable.

Could anyone recommend a pair of ear pads that would make my DT's just as comfortable as my Bose? I'm looking at the Dekoni stuff, but having trouble deciding which would come closest to the experience I'm after.

May 7, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #774 of 803
Some input to help get you started:

- All of the modern Grado earpads fit all of the modern Grado headphones
- Denon AH-D2000 earpads will fit onto the Koss ESP/10 (they improve the sound too)
- Behringer HPM-1000 earpads will fit onto the Sennheiser HD 580/600/etc (they damage the sound)
I really dislike the OEM Grado ear pads for my SR 125's (hot, itchy, uncomfortable, sluffing foam) and am looking for replacement pads.
Do you know any that would fit in pleather or velour (unless these fabrics make the sound worse)?
My main concern is that they fit the SR 125 mount.

May 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #775 of 803
Ok, decided to start up a thread dedicated to ear pads, a clearing house of information about ear pads and posting questions about ear pads.
I'll try to update this first post with listings of headphones and what ear pads (exact model name and product ID number) are known to work with (fit) on to that given model of headphone.
No sound coming out of bluetooth speakers.
I am new here, and I have no idea how to start a new thread. I didn't see a tab for a new thread. So I will just post here. Hope someone can help.
I've had my JBL and Jam bluetooth speakers for a few years. They both stopped working on the same day.
No sound coming out of either one, even though I charged them both yesterday. They were paired, one at a time. But no sound.
Haven't used them much, but they both worked when I used them. The JBL seems charged, the lights went on, but there is no sound. So I guess the charger worked, since the JBL bluetooth speaker is lighting up. But why no sound? The Jam speaker is doing nothing - it's dead. Strange that both speakers went out the same day!! Can it be the charger? Maybe new batteries for the speakers?

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #776 of 803
No sound coming out of bluetooth speakers.
I am new here, and I have no idea how to start a new thread. I didn't see a tab for a new thread. So I will just post here. Hope someone can help.
I've had my JBL and Jam bluetooth speakers for a few years. They both stopped working on the same day.
No sound coming out of either one, even though I charged them both yesterday. They were paired, one at a time. But no sound.
Haven't used them much, but they both worked when I used them. The JBL seems charged, the lights went on, but there is no sound. So I guess the charger worked, since the JBL bluetooth speaker is lighting up. But why no sound? The Jam speaker is doing nothing - it's dead. Strange that both speakers wetooth speaker is lighting up. But why no sound? The Jam speaker is doing nothing - it's dead. Strange that both speakers went out the same day!! Can it be the charger? Maybe new batteries for the speakers?

You might want to post this in:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/portable-speakers.776802/page-2

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #777 of 803
Yeah sometimes head-fiers get all caught up in mumbo-jumbo.

The Americans call it para cord but you know those elastic ropes that have a hook at each end for stretching and tying stuff onto your motorbike etc? That's para cord. It's rubber covered with cloth or something stretchable. I just threw away the hooks.

No. Paracord is parachute cord. It is not stretchable.

The stretchable cords with hooks are called "bungee cables" or "bungee cords."

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #779 of 803
I've had my Sennheiser HD558 for years, unfortunately that also means my earpads have been the same for years and they are gross. Anyone know where I can find good quality replacements? I know the head band probably cant be replaced or replaced easily, but it's not as bad as my ear pads, so if I can figure out a way to clean the head band part and get new ear pads I should be good. That said I feel like velour pads are incredibly difficult to maintain/clean.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #780 of 803
I've had my Sennheiser HD558 for years, unfortunately that also means my earpads have been the same for years and they are gross. Anyone know where I can find good quality replacements? I know the head band probably cant be replaced or replaced easily, but it's not as bad as my ear pads, so if I can figure out a way to clean the head band part and get new ear pads I should be good. That said I feel like velour pads are incredibly difficult to maintain/clean.
Sticky tape is good for removing dust, fluff and dead skin cells from the pads and keeps them looking good if you do it regularly. If they are beyond saving then you don't have anything to lose by removing them and try washing in warm soapy water. If the foam is too soft/flat then the time has come to replace them. I'm not sure if Sennheiser stock spares for the 558 like they do the 580/600/650, but the 580/600/650 might be backward compatible with the 558? They're pretty expensive, but if you're only changing once every few years then the cost isn't so bad to swallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back