Portable Speakers??
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 35
I don't know about playback issues, and don't understand how that could be an issue. Bluetooth doesn't know what kind of music you are sending it, just that your phone is sending an audio signal that could be anything (doesn't have to be music). So any playback issues for particular music would be an issue with the sending device's playback. That is, unless you are talking about how the speaker sounds with certain types of music. I guess that's individual listener specific as to whether or not it sounds good.

I don't know what your bass expectations are from small speakers, and so yours and my expectations could be different. The Charge does fine in comparison to other similarly sized speakers, IMO. These small portable speakers have tiny drivers. Can't expect much bass from them. That would sort of be like expecting a moped to go 100 mph. LOL

Best thing you can do is demo a few speakers somehow. I bought a few and returned them. And I took a 3.5mm cable to a couple of stores where I could plug my phone up direct (some that wasn't possible). Of course the stores are weird places sometimes to try them with the horrible acoustics and/or how the speakers are setup on the shelf. Some bluetooth speakers in stores have special demo modes that you can listen to that the manufacturer created. But I'm always cautious about judging them based on that because the music recording could have been EQ'd to make them sound better in the display. Bose does that with their home audio speaker store setups (don't know about their bluetooth).

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #19 of 35
Jbl Extreme, Infinity One... A bit larger: Klipsch KMC.

go to YouTube and search this guy: clavitjunkie.

He has very good comparisons for portable speakers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 35
  Thanks for the replies guys. I have been looking at the Sony SRS-X5 series, they seem good, I will be doing more research. I really like the look of "Core" by Mass Fidelity, but it's just too expensive for me. This is a real shame as it looks INCRDIBLE! Anyone else have anything to say good/bad about any speakers mentioned or suggestions for any new ones????

Does the Sony SRS-X5 series go well? How about the bass? I am thinking about getting one, but not sure about it.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 35
DefTech Sound Cylinder.

Under $200.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wireless-speaker-dock-reviews/definitive-technology-sound-cylinder-revie/

Hope this helps.

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 35
Just got the TDK Trek 360 that has been going on sale for $50 to $60. Using the aux in with my Sansa Clip Zip, sounds great, as good as any other bluetooth speaker I have heard for <$200 (and better than many). Note that it has the old 2.1 bluetooth protocol, so not quite as exciting for those that mainly want to use bluetooth with it (which I don't).

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 35
Jbl Extreme, Infinity One... A bit larger: Klipsch KMC.

go to YouTube and search this guy: clavitjunkie.

That would be clavinetjunkie on YouTube (or see his blog oluvsgadgets where he also posts frequency response graphs for some of the speakers).

I've watched all his video comparisons and reviews and from all that information it would appear the best value for money you can get around $100 is the Denon Envaya Mini, which is a very portable half-liter speaker, only major downside to it being the battery life (won't last you more than 3 hours at max. volume, so you can't hold a party with it all night on a single charge but it will do fine for calmer settings).

Of those mentioned so far, the JBL Charge (1) has been superseded in quality by the Charge 2+ and the Flip 3 from the same manufacturer, while the Sony bluetooth speakers got beaten by too many other models to mention. Just skip Sony and look for something else.

And if price is not an issue you can start looking at seriously flat-responding releases like the Riva S ($250 last I checked) or what seems to be the bluetooth champion at the moment, the Vifa Helsinki ($450 I think).

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 35
Over your budget, but JBL Extreme is on sale for BF/Cyber Monday for $199: http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/XTREME.html

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 35
Any recommendations for < 150 $ compared to Bose sound link mini II. Not really a fan of bose so looking for help!

If your priority is audio fidelity, https://www.amazon.com/Denon-Bluetooth-Envaya-DSB-100BKEM-Black/dp/B00SFZ4EWC/ref=sr_1_1 is by far the best option in that budget.
Caveats: no more than 3 hours of autonomy at maximum volume, and a maximum volume that's not quite sufficient for listening in the car. Some have had problems with the battery dying on them, but that happened pretty quickly and they just got the unit replaced.

LE:
A lot of reviews on Amazon about the battery dying 1 - 1.5 years later, fresh out of warranty, and not heavy users either. I guess I've just been lucky so far, as mine is only now getting to 1.5 years of (light) usage and still working. I guess it would make sense to look for something else, knowing all this. Which is sad, because purely sound-quality-wise nothing in this price and size class comes anywhere near the Envaya Mini.

Since you said you wanted something comparable to the Soundlink Mini II, which means an outdoors-friendly V-shaped sound signature, the one to look at inside of $150 would be the JBL Charge 3: https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Waterproof-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B01F24RHF4/ref=sr_1_3

You can use Oluv's switcher tool to compare the sound of the Charge 3 to various other portable speakers if it helps you decide: http://switcher.oluvsgadgets.net/

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #28 of 35
  i heard about some battery issues too, is that really a problem?

I've had mine for 19 months now and it's still working fine, albeit I haven't used it that much, maybe for 15-20 charge cycles in total. If you set aside the negative reviews on Amazon written by people who didn't understand that keeping the speaker's own amp at 100% all the time will drain the battery super-fast, and count only those stating explicitly that their battery had died / stopped recharging, you have 23 out of 111 reviews with that problem. It's your choice if you want to take that chance for the sake of audio quality.

I notice one reviewer said they simply opened up their Envaya Mini and replaced the dead cell with some other 2600 mAh 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable off the market and that fixed it. Hell, you could put in a higher-capacity 18650 while you're at it. But then there's that other review where the guy replaced the cell and still didn't get it working. So it's still a gamble. :)

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #29 of 35
  I've had mine for 19 months now and it's still working fine, albeit I haven't used it that much, maybe for 15-20 charge cycles in total. If you set aside the negative reviews on Amazon written by people who didn't understand that keeping the speaker's own amp at 100% all the time will drain the battery super-fast, and count only those stating explicitly that their battery had died / stopped recharging, you have 23 out of 111 reviews with that problem. It's your choice if you want to take that chance for the sake of audio quality.

I notice one reviewer said they simply opened up their Envaya Mini and replaced the dead cell with some other 2600 mAh 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable off the market and that fixed it. Hell, you could put in a higher-capacity 18650 while you're at it. But then there's that other review where the guy replaced the cell and still didn't get it working. So it's still a gamble. :)

Thanks, i think i will give them a shot. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back