Portable Speakers??
Aug 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

UnsurePerson

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking to buy a portable speaker. When I say portable, I mean it should be travel friendly, not a huge, boombox like thing. It needs to fit in a rucksack. I would greatly prefer a inbuilt rechargeable battery, not normal AA or other batteries, preferably. I want it to sound awesome, obviously :), with  good bass. Any other features would be welcome, as long as relevant to a user. I am currently looking at the Bose Soundlink Mini, Creative Soundblaster Roar 2 and Denon Envaya (Mini and Normal Version). By the way, in terms of price, I don't want anything super expensive. I will not name an exact price as I will search each item stated to see prices, as things can often be had cheaper on eBay and other online websites.   However, it needs to be cheaper than a Beolit 15. Around and below the price of a Beoplay A2 is the sweet spot for me. Thanks in advance!! 

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 35
I am currently looking to buy a portable speaker. When I say portable, I mean it should be travel friendly, not a huge, boombox like thing. It needs to fit in a rucksack. I would greatly prefer a inbuilt rechargeable battery, not normal AA or other batteries, preferably. I want it to sound awesome, obviously :), with  good bass. Any other features would be welcome, as long as relevant to a user. I am currently looking at the Bose Soundlink Mini, Creative Soundblaster Roar 2 and Denon Envaya (Mini and Normal Version). By the way, in terms of price, I don't want anything super expensive. I will not name an exact price as I will search each item stated to see prices, as things can often be had cheaper on eBay and other online websites.   However, it needs to be cheaper than a Beolit 15. Around and below the price of a Beoplay A2 is the sweet spot for me. Thanks in advance!! 

Have you researched "the core by mass fidelity". They are still in the design and build stage. I heared a demo in Toronto on one of their prototypes. It was amazing. Expensive , but WOW. I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 35
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been looking at the Sony SRS-X5 series, they seem good, I will be doing more research. I really like the look of "Core" by Mass Fidelity, but it's just too expensive for me. This is a real shame as it looks INCRDIBLE! Anyone else have anything to say good/bad about any speakers mentioned or suggestions for any new ones????

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 35
Watch Woot!. They have periodically had bluetooth speakers on special this summer, and I would suspect that they would again with back to school specials going on.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 35
In my experience looking at <$200 portable speakers, they are all flawed in that you can only do so much with a very small speaker. Best thing you can do is go out and listen to them and find the one that is flawed in a way that suits you :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 35
  Thankyou Cel4145, anyone have any recommendations, links or thoughts on portable speakers????????????

I bought one a TDK A33  a while back and was very impressed considering the price.  It seems to meet all of your criteria and is "weatherproof" as well - I use it while I grill, wash the car, etc and a little water or bbq sauce has never bothered it.  http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-Weatherproof-Discontinued/dp/B008VMT2HQ/ref=sr_1_3?&ie=UTF8&qid=1438965982&sr=8-3&keywords=tdk+bluetooth+speaker

It's been replaced by a newer model with a few features for use as a speakerphone.  The older model in the link is $89 and IMO sounds better than anything it's size has a right to at that price, particularly the bass and is still available.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 35
I bought one a TDK A33  a while back and was very impressed considering the price.  It seems to meet all of your criteria and is "weatherproof" as well - I use it while I grill, wash the car, etc and a little water or bbq sauce has never bothered it.  http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-Weatherproof-Discontinued/dp/B008VMT2HQ/ref=sr_1_3?&ie=UTF8&qid=1438965982&sr=8-3&keywords=tdk+bluetooth+speaker

It's been replaced by a newer model with a few features for use as a speakerphone.  The older model in the link is $89 and IMO sounds better than anything it's size has a right to at that price, particularly the bass and is still available.

+1

I have one. It's a great speaker for that price. I prefer my JBL Charge for portability (the Charge is lighter/smaller, came with neoprene case, and doesn't require a proprietary adapter). But the A33 competes well with any portable bluetooth speakers in the <$200 range I have heard.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 35
I bought one a TDK A33 a while back and was very impressed considering the price. It seems to meet all of your criteria and is "weatherproof" as well - I use it while I grill, wash the car, etc and a little water or bbq sauce has never bothered it. http://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-Weatherproof-Discontinued/dp/B008VMT2HQ/ref=sr_1_3?&ie=UTF8&qid=1438965982&sr=8-3&keywords=tdk+bluetooth+speaker

It's been replaced by a newer model with a few features for use as a speakerphone. The older model in the link is $89 and IMO sounds better than anything it's size has a right to at that price, particularly the bass and is still available.

+1

I have one. It's a great speaker for that price. I prefer my JBL Charge for portability (the Charge is lighter/smaller, came with neoprene case, and doesn't require a proprietary adapter). But the A33 competes well with any portable bluetooth speakers in the <$200 range I have heard.

Too funny you have one too. True enough, it is a bit of a brick.

By proprietary adapter, do you mean the AC charger?

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Good point - I never really paid attention to the old style charger on the TDK but definitely something to consider if you're going to travel with it more than I do.

Yeah, with travelling, it's nice to carry just one charger for phone and speaker.

But I'm very happy with my TDK A33 for at home use. :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 35
I got the the JBL Charge (1st gen) when it was on sale for $100. I didn't find any other for <$200 that sounded much better for my ears that was very portable friendly. Spending more didn't seem worth it to me because I don't use a portable bluetooth speaker for critical listening. It's for background music when doing something else. I have headphones for when I travel for critical listening :)

Be sure to compare volume between models if you intend to use it outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back