The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #2,941 of 3,155
I'm still secretly hoping for a track counter on the "now playing" screen. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2,942 of 3,155
From the included readme:

1. Support for ISO files.
2. In Directory view, allows the pressing of the thumbnail of folders for additional features.
3. Updated FLAC decode engine.
4. Updated WAV decode engine.
5. Updated DSD decode engine.

So I assume it means SACD ISOs, which is a nice bonus.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #2,944 of 3,155
Hey, just got one today. i can't seem to be able to use it as a USB DAC for Win 8. I have it selected as DAC on the unit but it's not showing up? Trying to find drivers or some info but lost, any help?

Also, do the changes to each fw make significant changes to sound?

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,945 of 3,155
Ok, I found the driver and installed it. Windows now allows it to be used as a USB DAC. It's very unstable. It stutters during songs, has a major lag when jumping between songs on TIDAL. There's also a really audible hiss behind songs.

I just updated to 2.5.1 if this makes any difference? This thing is already driving me mad.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #2,946 of 3,155
Being a player notable for it's pitch black background, I think that the player or even its driver isn't to blame regarding the hiss. The hiss might had been in the recording in the first place: to check, play other file.

If the hiss occur in other files across your music library, you might want to test the files being played directly on the player. Even if the hiss only occur on the DAC functionality, I wouldn't directly blame the driver. My DX90 hiss and hum a lot in my laptop's left USB3 port, but is perfectly silent on the right USB2 port. So noisy current being supplied from the USB port is probably the culprit. When I play back the DX90 as DAP directly when plugging it to generic 5V adaptor, it also hums annoyingly, while when I used my original Samsung phone charger, it's perfectly silent.

But the delay and abrupt change of volume when changing songs... Well that can't really be helped, a weakness of the DX90 indeed.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #2,947 of 3,155
As far as firmware. I've been very happy with the sound of the 2.4.0. And the player has performed without glitches since. Although the recent updates on 2.5.1 are  welcomed. is there a change in sound in the new update?
On another note. I've been searching for a good open back that would match well with the dx90. Hifiman 400i is at the top of my list and in my price range.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,950 of 3,155
  Is there a way to mod the boot/splash image on the 2.5.1L0 firmware?

Yes. Disassemble the firmware and replace bitmaps in the kernel (first) and in the system partition (second) with whatever you like.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,951 of 3,155
No impressions yet re: the new firmware? No Paul?

I'm confused. Tell me the DX90 thread isn't dying out just because the 80 has launched. They're both incredible DAPs.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,953 of 3,155
  No impressions yet re: the new firmware? No Paul?

I'm confused. Tell me the DX90 thread isn't dying out just because the 80 has launched. They're both incredible DAPs.

I am not sure I understand your question.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,954 of 3,155
Sorry, it wasn't a question. I'd just skimmed the thread and seen this posted 2 weeks and 6 days ago:

Looks like there is a new DX90 fw 2.5.1  not sure what it involves and or fixes. Im sure Paul will be here soon to tell everyone. You can download it from iBasso website.

Since then, nearly three weeks ago, I haven't seen you post here. I guess I was worried that even iBasso had sort of abandoned the thread. Evidently not. Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,955 of 3,155
  Sorry, it wasn't a question. I'd just skimmed the thread and seen this posted 2 weeks and 6 days ago:

Since then, nearly three weeks ago, I haven't seen you post here. I guess I was worried that even iBasso had sort of abandoned the thread. Evidently not. Sorry for the confusion.

We never abandon.
smile.gif
There hasn't been much to say or reply to.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back