The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Aug 10, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #2,642 of 3,155
  Is the Rockbox using the same sound engine as the firmware?
Coz I feel that the iBasso firmware sounds better

I don't hear any major or noticeable differences between RB or any of the firmware version of iBasso itself. This is after I dedicated some time to sit and focus to hear any changes and realized I am just wasting precious time instead of just enjoying the music :p 

Test it out and hear for yourself, then decide what is more important to you.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,643 of 3,155

I don't hear any major or noticeable differences between RB or any of the firmware version of iBasso itself. This is after I dedicated some time to sit and focus to hear any changes and realized I am just wasting precious time instead of just enjoying the music :p 

Test it out and hear for yourself, then decide what is more important to you.

I did tested it out and found that to me the iBasso does sounds better
But it's hard to tell since you have to reboot everytime

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,645 of 3,155
to me rockbox sounds very different from iBasso regardles of used FW. and I have to say I prefer the "stock" iBasso sound (currently running on 2.1.5), not to mention rockbox UI is not so user-friendly (but on the other hand it offers much more options than iBasso FW).  

I tried rockbox on DX90 when it came out and I tried it again few weeks ago and from what I remember the new rockbox had the same (or very similar) sound as the old one. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,646 of 3,155
Tonight I tested Tralucent 1Plus2 with Colorfly C4, sounds very nice, maybe a little low end roll-off with a very beautiful, detailed mid-range. Though I still prefer 1Plus2 with my DX90 overall.

Where it gets more complicated is my Etymotic ER4S sound frighteningly good on C4, especially female vocals which begins to challenge the 1Plus2 / DX90 combo.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,647 of 3,155
Tonight I tested Tralucent 1Plus2 with Colorfly C4, sounds very nice, maybe a little low end roll-off with a very beautiful, detailed mid-range.

Despite having a low output resistance, the C4 has got decoupling capacitors in its signal path wherefore there will be some bass roll-off with low-impedance headphones and IEMs.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,648 of 3,155
Despite having a low output resistance, the C4 has got decoupling capacitors in its signal path wherefore there will be some bass roll-off with low-impedance headphones and IEMs.

Yes, you can detect It with 1Plus2, especially if you a/b with another DAP. Though luckily it's not crucial or extremely damaging. Just sounds more neutral basically, though to a tuned ear with well known tracks the missing sub-bass is detectable. Thier CK4 I owned had really severe roll-off which could ruin the presentation, especially any song that required sub-bass.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,650 of 3,155
The C4 is lovely but so impractical

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,652 of 3,155
is there a DAP under 800$ that is a definite improvement over the DX90, sound-wise ?

or have we entered the land of diminishing returns , big time ?

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #2,653 of 3,155
  is there a DAP under 800$ that is a definite improvement over the DX90, sound-wise ?

or have we entered the land of diminishing returns , big time ?

Cayin N6 is an obvious step up. But its also pretty big, so there's a trade off. Then again... there arent many DAPs smaller than the DX90

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #2,654 of 3,155
Can the firmware be downgraded. I started with 2.15 now on 2.30 can I flash back to 2.15 or is it a no go as I've been thinking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back