The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,491 of 3,155
Although I don't care for overly assertive treble, I don't get this impression from v.2.3.0. It seems more to my ears as if a veil has been lifted resulting in more overall clarity. I have found that I can now listen at a lower volume level without missing any of the important musical details. It did take a period of time for me to decide that I really do like the improved clarity. Give it a chance at a slightly reduced volume. As always, YMMV!

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,492 of 3,155
Although I don't care for overly assertive treble, I don't get this impression from v.2.3.0. It seems more to my ears as if a veil has been lifted resulting in more overall clarity. I have found that I can now listen at a lower volume level without missing any of the important musical details. It did take a period of time for me to decide that I really do like the improved clarity. Give it a chance at a slightly reduced volume. As always, YMMV!
I fully agree, although mine is moded by sanmigel. Sorting out the power section made a trimendous change to the better

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,493 of 3,155
I fully agree, although mine is moded by sanmigel. Sorting out the power section made a trimendous change to the better

Modded power section?  Please tell 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,496 of 3,155
Based on the high quality amplifier opamps and buffers used in the DX-90, I can't see how there are modifications that could be done in the existing case space that would provide any meaningful improvement in SQ. I can see how there would be a very real opportunity to make your DX-90 into a nice paperweight!

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,497 of 3,155
W
did that, just didn't see anything really mentioned and he has only a few posts which offer no details as to what it is.
write to him, he can explain better then I can

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #2,498 of 3,155
if the fr graph is identical which i suspect to be true and is the reason i bring this up then all of these concerns about sound changes are a waste of time to discuss.  regarding better documenting the changes it isn't black and white like you are describing, there are shades of grey where they could spend an extra hour on every release just summarizing the changes in terms anyone can understand and as they truly apply to the details of the quality of the product, things like jitter as you mention if they are indeed related to a change or not then we should like to know that.  it isn't rocket scientist vs the dummy here it is passioned firmware developer reaching out to better explain changes to the passioned consumer who is indeed curious.  there is a way to communicate these changes between such people and they could do a much better job of it then 4 lines of features when we all know there were many many more internal changes involved.

That's not uncommon in "audiophile" DAPs. People are inclined to believe the sound changes each FW updates without understanding what exactly changed. There are legitimate changes that may affect sound through FW but sometimes it gets too far. I do not intend to take a stab on Lurker (his mods actually fixed legitimate issues like skips and stuttering on iBasso FW by clearing unnecessary processes that take cpu cycles, oh and the font looks nice too). But there were a few claims of sound improvement just by modifying random files within the embedded Linux file system which does not do anything to begin with.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #2,499 of 3,155
Been working on a few more DX90 rockbox 'upgrades'... or at least what I think is better :wink:

- increased volume step size to 4db (instead of 1) is an actually useful increment so you don't have to hit the button a half dozen times to notch it up a bit and also speeds up full volume swings 4x during press and hold. 1db increments was just way too small for me.  i don't need that sort of precision.

- inverted my already customized naranjada theme play/pause button icon so it actually makes sense (button shows pause when playing) :wink:

- physical wps buttons (play, pause, fwd, rev) pull you into wps (now playing) screen no matter what screen you are on, no longer pretending to be list control buttons for menu navigation or trying to scroll a list or selecting settings, that is what the touchscreen is for.  so now no matter what you are doing if you hit play/pause it takes you to now playing where you can really do what you were probably trying to do immediately same with fwd and rev.  

- while in wps a short press of the power button toggles the display on/off instead of taking you back to the main menu (do this by hitting rockbox or a '<-menu' button from wps).  basically it acts much more like an iphone power button, short press toggles display long press powers the unit. while in menu screens it still acts like a back menu button but once it gets all the way back to wps it becomes a display toggle. this is super convenient combined with the next change.

- physical wps buttons no longer force the lcd on - the idea here being you just want to change tracks or play/pause or volume up down but don't want the display coming on to waste your battery.  had you set the timeout too low it is always timing out when you really want to use the display while setting it too long means every track or volume change means the display stays on all that time wasting power.  most likely the device is in a pocket or bag anyway assuming you got your playlist setup. between this and being able to turn on/off the display by the power button it couldn't be easier or more logical. display is now always on by default, no timeout.  if you want it off hit power. alternatively you can now set a much longer timeout just incase you forget or somehow it bumps itself on in your bag.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,502 of 3,155
Hi...
Any one try DUNU DN-2000 with IBASSO DX90...PLEASE INFORM ME YOUR FEEDBACK HELP ME TO BUY RIGHT IEM. I not finding any review about dx90 and dn 2000...that's why am little bit worrying to buy Dn 2000

I have these two pieces of gear.

It sounds decent enough (this will depend what you've heard) however, keep in mind there is now 2000J.

Personally I think the sound of Fidue A83 and DX90 is a better combination.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #2,504 of 3,155
Hi...
Any one try DUNU DN-2000 with IBASSO DX90...PLEASE INFORM ME YOUR FEEDBACK HELP ME TO BUY RIGHT IEM. I not finding any review about dx90 and dn 2000...that's why am little bit worrying to buy Dn 2000.Yo are right I Have no doubt about DN 2000 sQ. as par reviews dn 2000.If you ask me about my music choice i like to listen ROCK'POP'HIP HOP'ELECTRO.so please inform me your Opinion It helps me to buy IEM.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,505 of 3,155
That's not uncommon in "audiophile" DAPs. People are inclined to believe the sound changes each FW updates without understanding what exactly changed. There are legitimate changes that may affect sound through FW but sometimes it gets too far. I do not intend to take a stab on Lurker (his mods actually fixed legitimate issues like skips and stuttering on iBasso FW by clearing unnecessary processes that take cpu cycles, oh and the font looks nice too). But there were a few claims of sound improvement just by modifying random files within the embedded Linux file system which does not do anything to begin with.

no doubt firmware changes can fix major issues in the sound such as pops and stuttering, but i would call these gross issues certainly not the subtle changes in tonality being discussed. these gross issues are due to interrupt priority inversions and a poorly written driver that fails to keep the output buffers full. these gross issues must be fixed first before even beginning to discuss the effect of a firmware change on tonality, really these issues should never exist in a commercial product and if they did I would be demanding my money back.  

the only reasonable ways tone could be affected by a firmware change is via actual codec changes (lossy codecs only of course, we should assume only lossless material when A/B'ing tonality changes), some form of digital eq. (we should assume this to be disabled by the user otherwise all bets are off), or low level operating parameter changes to the actual hardware peripherals in the DAC side of the sound path (including reconstruction filters, amp gain settings, etc.) which are seldom touched once decided upon.  normally there are only a few options you can even change and they aren't worth messing with.  

having resolved the gross issues i fail to see how different firmware could change the tonality of a DAP without it using some form of digital eq. which I would hope when that option is disabled by the user it does not do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back