The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #2,236 of 3,155
Yesterday received my DX90 from mp4nation, 2-day free shipping from HK to USA!  I loaded v2.20 onto the thing, and fired it up.  My initial impressions sound-wise are VERY positive, but will hold off any further judgement until I have a couple hundred hours of burn-in and much more listening.

The DX90 was bought to replace a FIIO X1.  The FIIO is ok, but the DX90 is so much nicer to use.  The physical button layout, for me, is nearly perfect and feels like it everything is in exactly the right place.  Touch screen UI is pretty nice, but am still getting used to the sensitivity and the layout.  Nothing bad to say about it though.

My headsets will vary between Fidue A83 and Beyerdynamic T90.  The T90 at 250 ohms did seem a little more difficult to drive to the listening level I like, but oh the sound! 

May 6, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #2,237 of 3,155
  Yesterday received my DX90 from mp4nation, 2-day free shipping from HK to USA!  I loaded v2.20 onto the thing, and fired it up.  My initial impressions sound-wise are VERY positive, but will hold off any further judgement until I have a couple hundred hours of burn-in and much more listening.

The DX90 was bought to replace a FIIO X1.  The FIIO is ok, but the DX90 is so much nicer to use.  The physical button layout, for me, is nearly perfect and feels like it everything is in exactly the right place.  Touch screen UI is pretty nice, but am still getting used to the sensitivity and the layout.  Nothing bad to say about it though.

My headsets will vary between Fidue A83 and Beyerdynamic T90.  The T90 at 250 ohms did seem a little more difficult to drive to the listening level I like, but oh the sound! 

Welcome to the addicted DX90 family. It will cost you a lot of hours of your live, but the reward is great! 

May 6, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2,238 of 3,155
Got my DX90 about a week ago to go head to head with my brothers X3II...I really wanted to like the Fiio more since I could save a few bucks getting one of those and returning the DX90, but alas, I just couldn't convince myself the Fiio sound was better.  :)

I'm using the DX90 w/ my new Oppo PM-3s and the sound is just fantastic.  I had a pair of V-MODA M100s that I had just upgraded to get a slightly more flat and even sound and the PM-3s were perfect because of the DX90s ever so slight low end boost.  Paired with either my S6 and the Oppo HA-2 amp, or the DX90 directly, these thing sing.  Can't recommend them high enough.  The perfect match for the DX90 IMO.

IEM wise, I use my VSonic GR07 BEs...another personal favorite that sounds great with damn near any equipment and the DX90 is no exception.

This is just the perfect DAP...about the only thing I can complain about is the screen.  Resolution and touch sensitivity leave a lot to be desired, but most of the time you're not looking at the screen so they get a pass.

May 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,239 of 3,155
Is it true that the dedicated line out port that act as a variable line has to be set to max volume to achieve line level? 
I always thought variable line out meant having the flexibility to adjust the volume.

May 7, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #2,240 of 3,155
  Is it true that the dedicated line out port that act as a variable line has to be set to max volume to achieve line level? 
I always thought variable line out meant having the flexibility to adjust the volume.

For line out, Ibasso's guide recommend to set volume to max for best dynamic. If you use line out with an amp you can adjust the amp's volume anyway.

May 7, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #2,242 of 3,155
^ DX90 does have a true variable line out. The analog Line out is at a constant 1.7v output regardless of volume setting, adjusting the volume is only happening in the dac's digital domain. The dac digitally controls volume by padding the input data with extra 0's to lower volume, this technically reduces dynamic range the lower the volume is set, this goes for both Line out and Headphone out. This is how the dac's volume control works, nothing iBasso can prevent, and is the same for all dap's that use dac controlled volume, which is the majority of dap's. This is why it is recommended to set volume to max when using Line out, to keep the digital output bit perfect. Whether the effect of digital volume attenuation is audible is a subjective matter, but the lower the volume, the larger the hit to dynamic range, based on Sabre's info the effect of digital attenuation shouldn't be audible at normal volume variations, only very large volume attenuation will be audible apparently.

May 7, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,243 of 3,155
Hi guys, I have some Audio Technica ATHESW9A on ear phones which I love. Just wondering how suitable they would be with the DX90 if I were to purchase one? I love music such as Jack Johnson, Mumford & Sons, Angus & Julia Stone etc.  
thanks

May 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #2,244 of 3,155
Hey Guys,
I saw a while back that iBasso has given us a new FW to get rid of the bugs.  I have LOTS of bugs (playing what it wants, when it wants, playing then stopping, can't find my album art, etc) from the previous FW and want to get rid of them.
I was just waiting for a Lurker version of this so I can enjoy the better fonts as well.
Has Lurker done one for the latest FW?
IF so, where can I find it?
I have downloaded a version 2.2.0-LO is that it?
IF so, is it working well, playing nicely?
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne

May 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,246 of 3,155
How long should I burn in the DX90 with the included burn in cable?

Thanks!

As I remember iBasso recommends 2-400 hours

May 7, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,247 of 3,155
Still breaking in the DX90, but last night I had DX90 line out (at full volume), connected to an ODAC, for amplification only.  Listening with my Beyerdynamic T90s I have to say this is the cleanest, most detailed sound I have heard from the digital domain.  Kudos to the iBasso!

May 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,248 of 3,155
Still breaking in the DX90, but last night I had DX90 line out (at full volume), connected to an ODAC, for amplification only.  Listening with my Beyerdynamic T90s I have to say this is the cleanest, most detailed sound I have heard from the digital domain.  Kudos to the iBasso!

As a proud owner of a T90 and a DX90 as well, I'd say they pair fairly well (in high gain), but I plug these phones onto my nfb29 from Audio Gd in high gain too and that changes the whole situation, man. The DX90 is not that bad but with cans like the T90s you have to be ready to connect them to a powerful amp.

Cheers.

May 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,249 of 3,155
As a proud owner of a T90 and a DX90 as well, I'd say they pair fairly well (in high gain), but I plug these phones onto my nfb29 from Audio Gd in high gain too and that changes the whole situation, man. The DX90 is not that bad but with cans like the T90s you have to be ready to connect them to a powerful amp.

Cheers.

Seems like the T90 doesn't get much respect on this forum, but I really love those cans.  I agree regarding the T90 and DX90, its ok, but I think a dedicated amp is in order to get the most out of it.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back