The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #421 of 3,155
Dx90 pairs really well with SE846 (white filter, yellow foam sleeves) + occ silver cable + ATL plug. A few points to make. 1. It finally makes classical music enjoyable on 846. 2. To me, low gain brings most emotions out of 846. Mids/vocal is in a smooth upfront position. For instrumentals, I would set it on mid gain. 3. 846 has the ability to deliver very impactful bass that I could feel much shake in the ear canal. But when I hear that kind of bass, other frequencies are also sacrificed. Dx90 is not driving 846 towards that way. The bass is accurate and can go deep but not impactful, I would say. 4. I had different volume on L/R channels on low gain, after 2 nights' burn-in (or some power on and offs?), the problem is gone.

What is this atl plug?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #422 of 3,155
[COLOR=000000]Just a quick write up (very subjective, I'm not a professional reviewer). For reference, my desktop setup is a Meier Daccord - Classic stack with the Beyerdynamic T1's.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]I've been enjoying the DX90 over the weekend and I can agree with all the positive comments above. This is one damn fine little player. The differences with the HDP-R10 are there, but it's minor. Personally I would take the DX90 over the R10/DX100 just because it's far more convenient and much nicer to use (physical buttons and faster). [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]I've been using it with a couple of IEMs and it brings the best out all of them, each with their known pluses and minuses.  Both the Westone 4R's and Sennheiser IE800's sound fantastic, but (and there goes probably my credibility on the forum :wink: ) the best paring for me is with the Sony XBA-40's. Such an effortless, joyful sound. I just keep on smiling :D. Does somebody need more while listening to music ?[/COLOR]

Perpetually smiling to myself while I listen to stuff I'm familiar with.

In the midst of studying for finals, the people around me must think I'm crazy or something

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #423 of 3,155
Dx90 pairs really well with SE846 (white filter, yellow foam sleeves) + occ silver cable + ATL plug. A few points to make. 1. It finally makes classical music enjoyable on 846. 2. To me, low gain brings most emotions out of 846. Mids/vocal is in a smooth upfront position. For instrumentals, I would set it on mid gain. 3. 846 has the ability to deliver very impactful bass that I could feel much shake in the ear canal. But when I hear that kind of bass, other frequencies are also sacrificed. Dx90 is not driving 846 towards that way. The bass is accurate and can go deep but not impactful, I would say. 4. I had different volume on L/R channels on low gain, after 2 nights' burn-in (or some power on and offs?), the problem is gone.

Indeed, I find the 846 a bit hard sounding, with that bass impact in the ear canal. So much that I have to tune down the bass curve via the 10--band EQ on my X5. In this regard, DX90 sounds like a even better match than X5 for 846. I do wish the front to back layering is better than X5 though. X5 has a wide enough soundstage, but depth I find lacking. Has anyone any idea about the difference between X5 and DX90 in front to back layering?

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #424 of 3,155
I find the layering, front to back, extremely good with the DX90. That is one thing that really impresses me. With orchestral work, which is hard to portray, you get the layering and dynamics that should be there. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #427 of 3,155
Mp3 nation has been doing that for a while with the ibasso daps. Theyre quite good sounding just got some crazy weird fit to them.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #428 of 3,155
Mp3 nation has been doing that for a while with the ibasso daps. Theyre quite good sounding just got some crazy weird fit to them.

Well I am glad you guys let me know about that company. Never heard of them before. They have quite a number of deals with the brainwaz earbuds thrown in, or for dirt cheap. I take it that MP4Nation must be the people behind the Brainwaz products?

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #429 of 3,155

Well I am glad you guys let me know about that company. Never heard of them before. They have quite a number of deals with the brainwaz earbuds thrown in, or for dirt cheap. I take it that MP4Nation must be the people behind the Brainwaz products?

Indeed sir :)

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #430 of 3,155
Has anyone who has listen to the DX90 has also listened to iPod+ Sony PHA-1?
If so how do they compare?
I know iPod can't play HD files, that is why I would be interested on the DX90
Thanks for any help provided

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #431 of 3,155
  Just saw that there are only 5 left on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1nuuZ1G

Last call until you have to wait for batch 2 in May.....

Whoa....I just noticed they raised the price to $470! A bit of price gouging by the seller if you ask me
confused.gif

Glad I ordered mine a few days ago.

Now they are also adding $11 shipping.And only 3 left in stock, so someone who just can't wait another couple of weeks will have to pay quite a premium. I would go for the MP4 nation deal and wait if I had not already ordered mine.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #432 of 3,155
  im so glad i didnt pull the trigger on the amazon one. 470 from 419 few days ago. geez.  Im quite happy with the Mp4 nation deal - the R3 freebie is no slouch! anyway thanks for the tip. If i hadnt read this, i would have ordered from amazon and have buyer's remorse right away lol

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal. I think maybe I suffered just a little buyers remorse seeing that this morning. But the remorse faded quickly when my DX90 from the Amazon seller arrived today. (I got it @ 430 total, not 470 + $11 shipping). That kinda sucks they are jacking up the price. The Amazon seller did throw in a Monoprice coax cable and DX>coax adapter cable. 

Holy crap, that is an amazing deal!! Those are $150 earbuds for free!!

Anyway, I've got the DX90 in my greedy little mitts. I gotta say, it sounds pretty good so far. only about 8 hours on it. I'm happy with the sound. (for the record I was disappointed by the DX50, so this is certainly a step up) 

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #434 of 3,155
Well between this thread and the other giant one, you guys have convinced me to pull the trigger on the DX-90.  Thanks...I think, LOL!  
tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I pulled the trigger on Amazon VERY early this morning (PST) before I had read about the availability on mp4nation with the Free Brainwavz R3's.  
frown.gif
 Oh well, at least I squeaked in just before the Amazon seller raised the price to $470 and added shipping charges!

When I get the DX-90 I'll leave my impressions here after I've had a fair bit of time with it.  I'm coming from my GNote II and a 160gb iPod Classic paired with some cheap Sony earbuds so I'm sure it will be a slight improvement!  
biggrin.gif

My home rig is a recent-model Audio-gd NFB-28 with the TCXO upgrades (new hi-res/DSD-capable USB driver) paired with Beyerdynamic T1 balanced, but I also have a SE adapter, so I'll compare to that setup and also try the T1's with the DX-90 and see how they go.  I also have the Grado SR-125i and Beyerdynamic DT-880 250-ohm to try.

To go truly portable with the DX-90, I'll obviously want some good IEMs!  So I guess this is the best place to ask for recommendations on some decent quality IEMs or CIEMs that will pair nicely with the DX-90. 
wink.gif

Since I have the T1's, I'm not looking to drop BIG money...maybe ~$350 or so.  Looking for the best IEMs I can get that are Neutral/Accurate, with Excellent Detail, Air, Imaging/Staging, and Fast/Clean Bass, but not too bright or fatiguing in the highs...am I asking too much???  LOL.  Oh, and extended listening COMFORT is crucial as well.  I'd really appreciate ANY further recommendations, but I will take a look back through the thread for the previously-mentioned IEMs and do more research.  Thanks!

Side Note:  I also ordered the 128GB Sandisk microSDXC card on Amazon more than a month ago and still haven't received it.  
mad.gif
  Originally ordered it to go into my Galaxy Note II or Note 8.0 3G, but will most likely use it in the DX-90 now...if I ever get the mSD card!

Side Note 2:  I'm really looking forward to auditioning the DX-90 with a local San Diego artist's CD that I recently discovered.  If you guys haven't heard of Steph Johnson/The Steph Johnson Trio, I HIGHLY recommend that you pick up her new CD, "Nature Girl".  Steph is a jazz singer/guitarist and joins an outstanding double bass player and drummer on this album.  If you like Diana Krall, Ella F., Jacintha, Casandra Wilson, etc, you will LOVE this CD.  
bigsmile_face.gif
 Even if you don't love this genre, I promise it will be one of the best Demo CDs to test/show off your system at the Head-Fi meets.

It is my new #1 Sound Quality Reference and Demo disc, no joke...absolutely amazing recording!  Just as a background reference, I am a former jazz drummer and alto/tenor saxophonist of over 15 years, so I have a decent idea of accurate reproduction when I hear it. 
wink.gif

The physical CD disc is not yet available thru regular channels, unfortunately...that must be why Steph is still relatively "unknown".  But you can order the "Nature Girl" CD disc at Steph Johnson's web site, which also has links to iTunes and CDbaby Downloads.  There is also a HD YouTube video of the first track from her album to preview before buying on her web site at

w w w DOT stephjohnsonband DOT com

If you'd like to get a copy of the actual CD disc, click the "Donate" button on her home page or email her...she will respond personally to your email, and you will receive the CD directly from Steph!  
bigsmile_face.gif
 And FYI, it's not a burned CD-R in a generic jewel case, it is a professionally pressed CD with a great Hard Cover and Liner Notes, etc. 

Normally, I would not plug an artist like this here, but I honestly feel that you guys & gals ABSOLUTELY NEED to hear this artist and her latest CD...it is that good.
L3000.gif
  (As another reference, I am comparing this CD to 1000's that I own from Mappleshade, FIM, MFSL, Chesky, Telarc, Mercury Living Presence, Opus3, ECM, B&W, etc, as well as Hi-Res downloads from HD Tracks, Sound Liason, Qobuz, etc).  The detail, clarity, imaging...EVERYTHING is stellar...you are "in the room with the performers" and IMHO every track is a gem, not just 2 or 3!  She performs some EXCELLENT covers, and OUTSTANDING originals as well.  Anyway...

...sorry for the long post!  Please recommend some great IEMs/CIEMs to pair with my soon-to-arrive DX-90.  
L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #435 of 3,155
Thanks for the heads up on the CD and looking forward to your impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back