The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 20, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #333 of 3,155
Received my DX90 today

Was telling a friend how awesome the sound stage was and he was like

'if it can widen the soundstage of the um3x, it can widen anything'

Damn. Couldn't be more satisfied with this gem

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #334 of 3,155
Received my DX90 today

Was telling a friend how awesome the sound stage was and he was like

'if it can widen the soundstage of the um3x, it can widen anything'

Damn. Couldn't be more satisfied with this gem

Well, i think my um2x sound stage is widen after seeing this post and go try it myself.
blink.gif
 the um2x is my long retired headphone in my drawer 

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #335 of 3,155
I got the DX90 yesterday and have listened to it on and off while it burns in.  I've got the previous models - DX100 and DX50 as well.  DX100 is still the best in quality but the size and limited battery life made me buy the DX50 for it's swappable battery and smaller size.  However the DX50 didn't serve me musically, it was certainly better than my Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5 but compared to the DX100 there was a huge gap in quality.
So bought the DX90 in anticipation of improved quality with the same size and swappable battery.  Plugged in the micro sdcard and waited 15 mins while it loaded up the 64GB of music, hit play and wow!  There was clear layering, separation, and details.  The quality was 80-90% of the DX100.  I'm happy with the DX90 and will retire the DX50.  I'll use the DX100 for shorter trips and at home.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #336 of 3,155
On the comparison of the DX90 to the DX100, with time, as the DX90 burns in, does whatever it does, I find that in some areas I prefer it to the DX100. There is a dynamic that arrises from the individual performers and instruments. 

In the area of presentation for width and depth, I find it in the same range as the Hugo. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #337 of 3,155
  Yes it is always just a matter of time. 

On the comparison of the DX90 to the DX100, with time, as the DX90 burns in, does whatever it does, I find that in some areas I prefer it to the DX100. There is a dynamic that arrises from the individual performers and instruments. 

In the area of presentation for width and depth, I find it in the same range as the Hugo. 

What about the details?  Would you say it's on par with Hugo?

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #338 of 3,155

No time, have to go to work but in some areas yes, in total refinement, no at this time. The Hugo is incredible but to me, that the DX90 is close in many areas, is amazing to me, truly amazing. 

------

I was curious why a dealer would post what was posted earlier about the DX90, since it is so opposite of most views and emailed iBasso to find out if he is truly a dealer. He isn't a dealer, per their reply. So he has the DX90 on his website but is not a dealer. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #339 of 3,155
So in coming to the IBasso DX90 thread and telling everyone that owns the DX90 that we all made the wrong decision will do exactly, what?

Well guys you all gotta return your glorious DX90 and get yourselves a X5.. I knew I made a mistake. Should have taken them random posts from them Vietnamese dudes seriously. Thanks for correcting all of our know how and experience as enthusiasts. Looks like we are all wrong.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #340 of 3,155
Couple of days so burning in is coming along just fine. A few observations, please take this as a grain of salt; I played 24/96 sample songs, classical, ambient, eletronica, trance, jazz... Comparing the DX50 and DX90, they seem to be pretty much on par with an edge on the DX90 in terms of clarity and details plus the bass is definitively extended. I played the same music on both and caught myself a few times thinking I was on the DX90 when in fact it was DX50 however some music genres were less accommodating. When the recording is pretty clean and hi-res, both are very much comparable. At lower res the DX90 is quick to point any faults in the recordings. It's like I said, in one case it's like wearing glasses that are slightly out of focus while for the other, it's pretty clear. You can still figure out the image you are looking at but one allows the finer details to be revealed.

I am going to let this run for a few more days to gage once more where it stands.

Edit: If it's any comfort, the X5 and DX90 are both comparable, each have their strengths and their weaknesses. Anyone lucky enough or should I say with enough cash, should own both. There are a true bargain with that kind of quality, I wish there would be more of them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #341 of 3,155
It's quite likely that they listened to the exact same one. viet1357911 said he cancelled his order so he likel heard it at the same shop the other fellow works at. Could be defective, a fake or messed with in the setup menu. Regardless, they are allowed to not like it. I don't understand their impressions because I strongly disagree but on we go.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #342 of 3,155
  No time, have to go to work but in some areas yes, in total refinement, no at this time. The Hugo is incredible but to me, that the DX90 is close in many areas, is amazing to me, truly amazing. 

------

I was curious why a dealer would post what was posted earlier about the DX90, since it is so opposite of most views and emailed iBasso to find out if he is truly a dealer. He isn't a dealer, per their reply. So he has the DX90 on his website but is not a dealer. 

Things that make you go hmmm.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #343 of 3,155
I see 3 red flags,

1. The Guy is selling DAPs ( perhaps he has a lot of X5 stock to move and not moving as quick as he expected)

2. Calling everybody in this thread an implant of iBasso.

3. Bashed the line out without any reasonable argument.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #344 of 3,155
I emailed iBasso about the 32 or 64bit. They will implement 64bit in the near future, and it will allow a person to disable 64 bit so they can use the 32 bit if needed.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #345 of 3,155

I have the both Hugo and the Dx90 and yes, the DX90 is very, very good and it fells like he is the little brother of the Hugo...but it´s not the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back