The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Dec 28, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,836 of 3,155
Yes, I own a. Dx80 as well but will be returning it due to sub par sound (to me) (compared to dx90) it has a better screen being bigger and easier to maneuver, but as far as sound it's not worth the *upgrade * to me it loosed clarity, and it's been burning in a week straight. It's just not impressive, and software issues are all over the place, FW does change sound and the latest 1.2 only made situations worse,

It's not an upgrade over dx90, not to me, not to others.. Amazon has 30 day return, try it out,

Since you are also selling your dx90 may I ask what player you decided to try next? Fiio X7 or an AK?
I probably cannot buy your dx90 unless you are based in Europe - import duties and customs handling plus shipping add about 140$ to the price when bought on Ebay from the US.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,837 of 3,155

Yes, I own a. Dx80 as well but will be returning it due to sub par sound (to me) (compared to dx90) it has a better screen being bigger and easier to maneuver, but as far as sound it's not worth the *upgrade * to me it loosed clarity, and it's been burning in a week straight. It's just not impressive, and software issues are all over the place, FW does change sound and the latest 1.2 only made situations worse,

It's not an upgrade over dx90, not to me, not to others.. Amazon has 30 day return, try it out,

Since you are also selling your dx90 may I ask what player you decided to try next? Fiio X7 or an AK?
I probably cannot buy your dx90 unless you are based in Europe - import duties and customs handling plus shipping add about 140$ to the price when bought on Ebay from the US.

fyi, the cayin n6 is a definite step up from the dx90 - it is currently about $600 on amazon but goes as low as $500 at times - check the history at camelcamelcamel.  a bigger step up is the questyle qp1r.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2,842 of 3,155
Right, but I can feel it audio in various ways, and I expect the sound to be amazing

the mojo plays in a different league - it outclasses not only my DX90, but also my desktop dac.

Super Audio CDs (SACD) , even in DSD64 resolution, provide an incredibly dynamic sound space over the mojo - never heard before.

Fortunately the DX90 can play the ripped SACD tracks in DSF-Format, but the output of the digital COAX is PCM (24 / 88.2) only - the DX80 seems to have even more problems in this respect.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #2,844 of 3,155
~~~ playing a dsf track with the dx90 mango player, fimware v2.20, connected via coax with a mojo shows a  yellow light on the mojo => the output of the digital COAX is PCM (24 / 88.2) only.

Of course, I am open to any proposal that leads to see the white light at the end (of the mojo).

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #2,845 of 3,155
You need to CONVERT the DSD to flac by a special process using foobar: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

Follow step #3

I was able to send DSD to Hugo by DoP (DSD over PCM) method making it the file as FLAC instead of DSF.

BUT without the HuGo/Mojo, you can't get any sound when you play the flac using the dx90 alone

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,847 of 3,155
You need to CONVERT the DSD to flac by a special process using foobar: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119364.0

Follow step #3

Now I can see the white light - thanks for cracking the nut :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back