The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Aug 17, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #2,701 of 3,155
  i hope you find the solution on the dx90 issues , sorry about your mom , i think that parents are probably the best people we meet on this planet (if you are lucky to have loving ones at least) so i can feel your pain here

maybe dx90 is not the dap you need , if it isn't sell it and move on

(bummer about the drug testing thing)

thank you. I appreciate the advice.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #2,702 of 3,155
Sorry to hear all this, and yes you're right, a lot of people forget how much money 300$ can be, and is. (though I'm sure these kind of comments are far from being personal...)
Have you tried a hard reset (can't remember how it works, but you can do it.)?

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hard reset. Maybe it's time to go in another direction. I hate to say it but Pono might be what I need.  Who knows, maybe I'll like it.  They seem to protest a lot that bad reviews are due to insufficient burn in.  Maybe they're right. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,705 of 3,155
  Thanks for the advice. I tried the hard reset. Maybe it's time to go in another direction. I hate to say it but Pono might be what I need.  Who knows, maybe I'll like it.  They seem to protest a lot that bad reviews are due to insufficient burn in.  Maybe they're right. 

I lament their problems.
Not if he can avail a minitutorial for DX50; but that is basically the same for DX90.
If it is not, I do not know how I can help.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-9-3-july-2-2015/16155#post_11239184
In recent firmware you can create playlist from folders through contextual menu.
Regards.

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #2,706 of 3,155

Did you try to install rockbox on the DX90? I'm pretty sure it supports m3u playlists as well (though I've not tried it myself). For me, if it wasn't for rockbox, I'd have returned the DX90 within a week. Scrolling through the playlist with the touch screen is a rather slow and painful affair to me. I keep accidentally hitting a song while scrolling.

Unfortunately, it seems that the more expensive DAPs are not necessarily the most user friendly. I still feel that my Sansa Fuze had a better GUI than any FiiO or iBasso DAP that I've tried.

Aug 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,707 of 3,155
Many of us play music as it was originally intended, via an album. Maybe because we had no choice in the days of LPs, cassettes and CDs. Worth a try though! I've tried to find a reason where using a playlist would be beneficial, a party once, but found for full compatibility on all my different systems including a NAS drive, just copying those tracks into a folder seemed so easy and took less than a minute.

Aug 17, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,708 of 3,155
  You could create a folder with all your playlist songs and just play that from the directory. That's what I do. 

I meant just copy your playlist into a folder on your SD card and play it from there instead of going into playlists. 

SUCCESS!!!   It didn't work last night but this morning I tried again and it's exactly as you suggested.  I reformatted the sd card a couple times, plug the dx90 into my computer, then I created a new folder in the sd card, I named the folder whatever the name of the playlist will be, and then I drag the entire contents of the the playlist over to that folder.  Simple.  And then I repeat for the next playlist....and so on and so on.  Maybe the problem was with the sd card.  I used the same one I've been using in my phone (128GB) and a couple times in the past I've removed it from my phone while forgetting to "unmount" it.  Maybe I did something to the card.  In any case, I woke up this morning thinking about you saying that this is what YOU do with your playlists and I thought that if it works for you it should work for me so I tried again.  I still think the ibasso playlist system is wrong, but this suggestion of yours does a run-around the ibasso playlist system and still preserves all the functionality of a playlist.  Thank you so much.

I was getting ready to send it back. Without your response to my pleas, I definitely would have given up which would have been a real shame because this thing sounds very very nice. Hard to believe a portable can sound so good.  Much better than the Fiio x3(original).

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #2,711 of 3,155

SUCCESS!!!   It didn't work last night but this morning I tried again and it's exactly as you suggested.  I reformatted the sd card a couple times, plug the dx90 into my computer, then I created a new folder in the sd card, I named the folder whatever the name of the playlist will be, and then I drag the entire contents of the the playlist over to that folder.  Simple.  And then I repeat for the next playlist....and so on and so on.  Maybe the problem was with the sd card.  I used the same one I've been using in my phone (128GB) and a couple times in the past I've removed it from my phone while forgetting to "unmount" it.  Maybe I did something to the card.  In any case, I woke up this morning thinking about you saying that this is what YOU do with your playlists and I thought that if it works for you it should work for me so I tried again.  I still think the ibasso playlist system is wrong, but this suggestion of yours does a run-around the ibasso playlist system and still preserves all the functionality of a playlist.  Thank you so much.

I was getting ready to send it back. Without your response to my pleas, I definitely would have given up which would have been a real shame because this thing sounds very very nice. Hard to believe a portable can sound so good.  Much better than the Fiio x3(original).

Glad I helped, enjoy your DX90 :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #2,712 of 3,155
When I got mine, used, the thing would ask for a scan every time I turned it on. Getting a new SD card fixed that issue.

Mine did that for six months, many cards tried. ibasso said send back even. Until someone on here found the solution. Had to format card with SD Formatter. Shame no inbuilt Formatter like Fioo's as that saves any of these problems.

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,713 of 3,155
Mine did that for six months, many cards tried. ibasso said send back even. Until someone on here found the solution. Had to format card with SD Formatter. Shame no inbuilt Formatter like Fioo's as that saves any of these problems.

Similar problems here...with all DX90 problems involving sd cards or their formatting.  Agreed, it's too bad the DX90 doesn't have an onboard formatting function (and for that matter an sd card testing function). 

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,714 of 3,155
I had the same issue with my 64 GB SanDisk card, no problems with my current 128 GB SanDisk that I have, if I'm not mistaking, formatted manually with the Microsoft console into FAT32 format.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,715 of 3,155
Cheeseater glad you found a solution, I learned alot following the thread, thanks for that.
Does anybody have an Amazon link to a battery they know works with the DX90, i wanna grab an extra.....pm me if its easier....thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back