The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #2,448 of 3,155
  On 2.3.0, I realized that when I charge the DX90, it shows the Charging sign as usual. but when the display turns off and I want to turn it on to see if it was fully charged, I see a dimmed screen show up but no Charging sign.
However, if I switch the DX 90 ON (but still can't determine if it is fully charged), then OFF, then ON again, I get to see the charging sign.
Any idea what's going on?

I just noticed this too. Definitely an inconvience. I guess updates must be a stressful balancing act for the developers, add features, fix existing bugs and not screw anything else up.

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,449 of 3,155
S
I just noticed this too. Definitely an inconvience. I guess updates must be a stressful balancing act for the developers, add features, fix existing bugs and not screw anything else up.

Shuting down doesnt seem to switch off the DX90. After shutdown I have to press the left button for at least 5 seconds before the unit turns really off. After that it shows charging state as it should

Jun 17, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,450 of 3,155
S
Shuting down doesnt seem to switch off the DX90. After shutdown I have to press the left button for at least 5 seconds before the unit turns really off. After that it shows charging state as it should

Thanks, I'll try that. I may also try re-installing 2.3.0 to see if something got boogered during the first attempt.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #2,451 of 3,155
S

Just for giggles, I reverted all the way back to 2.1.5 because I thought I remembered being able to still use the DX90 while it was being charged from a USB charger. This does work in 2.1.5 but this feature has been lost as of 2.3.0. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,452 of 3,155

Just for giggles, I reverted all the way back to 2.1.5 because I thought I remembered being able to still use the DX90 while it was being charged from a USB charger. This does work in 2.1.5 but this feature has been lost as of 2.3.0. 

2.2.0 has this feature as well , if you wanna try it out

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,453 of 3,155

2.2.0 has this feature as well , if you wanna try it out

Thank you, I figured that it worked in 2.2.0 but I just didn't remember.  The reason I went back to 2.1.5 was I had very few issues with that release. Gapless (same ongoing problem as 2.3.0) and charging worked as expected. SQ was balanced. I'm sure there are other issues with 2.1.5 that I've forgotten but for now I'm happy. I'll wait for 2.3.x unless 2.1.5 eventually drives me crazy, then I'll go back to 2.2.0 even though Gapless was a bit dodgy.

Update: If you turn on the DX90 using FW 2.3.0 before plugging it into a USB charging adapter it will still operate while charging. In previous FW's you could turn it on regardless of whether it was plugged in or not. I guess the only 2.3.0 charging issue is easily displaying charging status.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,455 of 3,155
  Does anybody knows why is the sound keeps changing?
Should'nt it be stable and be determined only by the hardware implementation? 

Thanks!
Eli

I think it was explained that even though the goal is to not necessarily change the SQ, changing different parameters in the code can affect the overall SQ. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,456 of 3,155
Hey guys, I'm posting this because I'm just a bit disappointed. Apparently I reread the DX 90 reviews after having the DX90 for about 2 months, and there was one comparing it to the Clip +. No offense intended anywhere. Just my observations.

At first I was skeptical as well, but now I have the DX 90 on FW 2.3.0 (and even reverted to 2.2.0 to compare), and the Clip +, and I am a bit disappointed that on several FLAC tracks on both, I really had a hard, hard time discerning any difference between them. Sometimes I'd look down at something which sounded great, and forgot that it was actually the Clip +

Anyone has any experience like this?

I was really hoping they'd sound more different; but wow, diminishing returns so early? Is this as good as it gets with regards to SQ?

I did notice that Clip + took way longer to load the library in my case, couldn't read some FLAC (perhaps because it has 48kHz sampling rate), couldn't do DSF of course, etc. But for those which Clip + and DX 90 could play, argh.. I don't think I could survive an A/B. And oh great, the Clip + is rated to have almost 2x the battery life.

If I had to take a real stab (nitpick), I'd say the DX 90 has a feeling of musicality which I noticed, while the Clip + has a flatter, more analytical sound. Maybe it's due to the Dual Sabre DAC's on the DX 90s that give more analog sound? Also, DX90 has a way stronger amp even on Low Gain, touch screen, blah.. but for the sound..?
edit: Amazon reviews do suggest that the clip + might have durability issues though, like battery dying, clip breaking, etc. More of a replaceable unit than one to keep and grow old with. 
edit2: took about 11 mins to read 20GB of music files.

What do you think? I mean, really? for something that's 1/10th the DX90's price, ARGH!

BTW, setup is DX90 (Low Gain) / Clip + -> ER 4S and also with DX90 (line out) /  Clip + -> Cayin C5 -> ER 4S. 
I tried my best to volume match these every time I compared, and both players are on flat (no EQ). 

FLAC Tracks used were Bohemian Rhapsody (ripped from CD 2011 remaster), Give Live Back to Music (Daft Punk), Taylor Swift Blank Space & Shake it Off and a few more. I mean, they're not really audiophile recordings, but still..

Regardless, I'd like to thank @Paul - iBasso and the iBasso team for developing the better and better FW's. :) Have both the DX90 and DX 50 and still love both of 'em!

All feedback welcome! Thank you for reading.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,457 of 3,155
  Hey guys, I'm posting this because I'm just a bit disappointed. Apparently I reread the DX 90 reviews after having the DX90 for about 2 months, and there was one comparing it to the Clip +. No offense intended anywhere. Just my observations.

At first I was skeptical as well, but now I have the DX 90 on FW 2.3.0 (and even reverted to 2.2.0 to compare), and the Clip +, and I am a bit disappointed that on several FLAC tracks on both, I really had a hard, hard time discerning any difference between them. Sometimes I'd look down at something which sounded great, and forgot that it was actually the Clip +

Anyone has any experience like this?

I was really hoping they'd sound more different; but wow, diminishing returns so early? Is this as good as it gets with regards to SQ?

I did notice that Clip + took way longer to load the library in my case, couldn't read some FLAC (perhaps because it has 48kHz sampling rate), couldn't do DSF of course, etc. But for those which Clip + and DX 90 could play, argh.. I don't think I could survive an A/B. And oh great, the Clip + has almost 2x the battery life.

If I had to take a real stab (nitpick), I'd say the DX 90 has a feeling of musicality which I noticed, while the Clip + has a flatter, more analytical sound. Maybe it's due to the Dual Sabre DAC's on the DX 90s that give more analog sound? Also, DX90 has a way stronger amp even on Low Gain, touch screen, blah.. but for the sound..?

What do you think? I mean, really? for something that's 1/10th the DX90's price, ARGH!

BTW, setup is DX90 (Low Gain) / Clip + -> ER 4S and also with DX90 (line out) /  Clip + -> Cayin C5 -> ER 4S. 
I tried my best to volume match these every time I compared, and both players are on flat (no EQ). 

FLAC Tracks used were Bohemian Rhapsody (ripped from CD 2011 remaster), Give Live Back to Music (Daft Punk), Taylor Swift Blank Space & Shake it Off and a few more. I mean, they're not really audiophile recordings, but still..

Regardless, I'd like to thank @Paul - iBasso and the iBasso team for developing the better and better FW's. :) Have both the DX90 and DX 50 and still love both of 'em!

All feedback welcome! Thank you for reading.

sell the dx90 , go with the clip+

the truth lies in your ears , not our opinions.

cheers

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,458 of 3,155

sell the dx90 , go with the clip+

the truth lies in your ears , not our opinions.

cheers

Haha, nice one. Well, thing is the clip + doesn't really do any better in SQ IMO. I own the DX 90, but loaned the clip +, so no point selling the dx90 now. Guess I gonna need to love the UI + iBasso's customer service + build quality, etc. the non sonic related stuff. 

This got me wondering: does 'higher up gear' like the Chord Hugo also have way exaggerated sonic improvements over dx90? Hmm, need to get my hands on one soon to A/B.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #2,459 of 3,155
  Haha, nice one. Well, thing is the clip + doesn't really do any better in SQ IMO. I own the DX 90, but loaned the clip +, so no point selling the dx90 now. Guess I gonna need to love the UI + iBasso's customer service + build quality, etc. the non sonic related stuff. 

This got me wondering: does 'higher up gear' like the Chord Hugo also have way exaggerated sonic improvements over dx90? Hmm, need to get my hands on one soon to A/B.

Some sing high praises for the Hugo and a few recently have said it seems muddy. I don't hear any muddiness at all. I have also read of some that can't hear any real different between their smart phone and the DX90. For me, I hear differences but go with what you enjoy. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,460 of 3,155
That being said, I enjoy the DX90 more and definitely will keep it. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back