The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Sep 2, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,681 of 3,155
Eugguy - yes to everything. Makes everything sound better, even mp3s. But they really shine with flac files. Significant difference. But I think your cypher labs combo might already be outstanding though I've never heard them personally just read good things said about them. Best thing to do is to try to audition them at a store and let your ears find the difference

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,683 of 3,155
I'm sure it will work just fine, I just don't think that it in general will be better than the build in amp, but it's all down to synergy and/or personal preference

It's a matter of power here - E12 output power is about 4 times higher than the DX90's internal amp. Some headphones thrive on the extra power, for more sensitive ones it makes very little difference.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,684 of 3,155
Having more power doesn't mean an amp will sound better. There are many variables. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #1,686 of 3,155
  Silly question perhaps...but if I play 320 kbps files out of the DX90, will they sound better than out of an iPod? Will lower quality files sound better out of a player like this? Does the hardware in the DX90 improve the sound quality and experience even with MP3s? Or do you need to have files in HQ AIFF to really notice? I do have a mix of file qualities at the moment, and was wondering if buying a DX90 would be worth it. I use a iPhone 5 with a mix of 320 and AIFF. I also use an iPod touch 5th generation with a Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC, w/USB Mini-A connector. Appreciate your answers! 
biggrin.gif

I used my iPod classic with mp3 and do the same with my DX90. They sound wonderful on it. 

I already tried to distinguish between the original flac and it's mp3 (V 0/320) converted son with no success several times. As for higher resolution (24/192) files, I read that there is alot of BS regarding this subject and that the perceived difference in sound quality can be present, but mostly due to the file having a totally different mastering.

I found an interesting amazon review with a quite few comments (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2CVDZGJ98MBJH/ref=cm_cd_pg_newest?ie=UTF8&asin=B00JRGLX3G&authToken=&cdForum=Fx3EGOQUV55EWLK&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2JN61WH5VIJ3H&store=mp3#wasThisHelpful)

The first comment there talks some a bit about mp3 on the DX90:

"DX90 does not have a superior handling of SD cards. There is only one micro SD card slot in the DX90 while the X5 has two. Each x5 slot can handle 128GB with no problem I have two 64GB cards and never have any issues. Everything loads fast and efficiently. You must have read something on the original firmware. Much better memory and playback situation with X5. Yes the Saber DACs are good quality but they are two rungs down from their top Dacs on the DX90. Also the Saber DACs always upsample which adds dither to the analog output. Dither is there to reconstruct missing information in compressed lossy audio files. Upsampling can be of benefit to poor quality files like MP3s. However IMHO it is a detriment to higher resolution well recorded music. The dither will add yet more richness that is not reflected in the master. You can read about people trying to turn off the upsampling on Saber Dacs. My Dad's Bryston DAC has upsampling but fortunately you can turn it off. And when quality recordings are playing it is left off and sounds wonderful with no smearing of micro detail. If the DX90 had an option to turn the upsampling on or off that would be great."

I am not so sure about this guy's info - interesting nonetheless.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #1,687 of 3,155
After 4 months of absence from Head-Fi... What did I miss? I've been living under a rock. A rock made of work and family stuff, mostly - at least I had the DX90 to keep me company!

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #1,688 of 3,155
  After 4 months of absence from Head-Fi... What did I miss? I've been living under a rock. A rock made of work and family stuff, mostly - at least I had the DX90 to keep me company!

If you haven't flashed the Int v2 firmware you are missing out big time on pure sound quality, get it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-latest-fw-download-general-information-instructions/7350#post_10744272

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,689 of 3,155
  If you haven't flashed the Int v2 firmware you are missing out big time on pure sound quality, get it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-latest-fw-download-general-information-instructions/7350#post_10744272

Updating now, thanks man!

Immediate impression: Font looks sooooooo much better! 

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,690 of 3,155
Hmm...so...I should notice a difference in quality with the DX90, EVEN with 320 kbps mp3s? I've been an iPod/iPhone user/abuser for a long time...I'm just too used to the UI, layout, and I use playlists exclusively with iTunes...I remember using the creative muvo, 128 mb...thing was amazing for the time back in 2003-2004...lol, things have come a long way in just 10 years...that battery lasted a few hours and held a handful of songs. I just want the best DAP for my IEMS. I've been thinking of the AK120/240, but it might be overkill, considering alot(most) of my files are still in 320. So, the best options for me (correct me if I'm wrong) should be the DX90 or X5? There is so much conflicting information regarding both players, but at this moment in time, I want clarity, soundstage and as much detail/separation in a player. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,691 of 3,155
DX50 (perhaps with rockbox) might be sufficient if most of your library is 320kb

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,692 of 3,155
I think that the DX90 or X5 would be the best bang for your buck upgrade regardless of if you are planning to use mp3/flac (at least 192kbps), 16b/44k, 24b/192k, whatever it may be. You can try to see if you hear a major difference (if you can hear one at all) between different types of files and then decide if you want to start slowly upgrading your music collection.

I can't suggest which as I have only heard the DX90 (I'm very satisfied coming from an unamped iPod) out of all of the newer DAP on the market. If you buy it and don't feel it is up to your expectations you can return it (make sure the place you purchase it from has a good return policy).

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,693 of 3,155
Is there any information regarding the UI? I can't seem to find anything that resembles pictures, manual, etc...if I can get an idea of how to load music, etc, it will give me a better idea. If anyone has any info, would you be kind enough to forward me to it? Thank you 
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #1,694 of 3,155
Try the first post in the main DX50 thread. The UI is essentially identical and fairly basic. RockBox has a much more feature rich UI if you need that. Copying music is drag and drop in file explorer, no fancy management like in iTunes. Play lists can only be managed on the device (unless you use RockBox) and dont survive a fw upgrade

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #1,695 of 3,155
Try the first post in the main DX50 thread. The UI is essentially identical and fairly basic. RockBox has a much more feature rich UI if you need that. Copying music is drag and drop in file explorer, no fancy management like in iTunes. Play lists can only be managed on the device (unless you use RockBox) and dont survive a fw upgrade

Cool, thanks, I guess I missed it, too eager. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back