The DSP Rolling & How-To Thread
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #17 of 155
@Strangelove424 regarding TDR VOS SlickEQ: What OS are you using as I am having a hell of a time with SlickEQ working properly without crashing and/or throwing an error from within Foobar2k (via the foo VST 2.4 Adapter). It seems to only work reliably for me via the George Yohng VST Wrapper so from without Foobar2k. I am using Windows 10 (64-bit).

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 155
My computer with SlickEQ is on Windows 7 64 bit. Does this crash happen during playback, without the VST's gui open or while making changes to VST's interface? I know that VST 2.4 can have some issues with VST interfaces and crash when making adjustments. Once the preferred settings are achieved, and the interface is closed I have never had a crash from sound processing only.

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 155
How about adding system wide DSP options? I have multiple sources and I want them all to be processed, not just iTunes.

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 155
EQ APO was a big find for me already, and there's multiple VST hosts that can be used for system wide processing by routing through the sound card or motherboard's audio stream - I started messing with that tonight on my laptop. That opens up an enormous amount of plugins, though mainly DAW plugins not consumer. Viper is a system wide audio utility I'll be adding soon too, but it's for Windows. I'm still trying to figure out system wide solutions for Macs (in addition to many DSPs I don't have Mac equivalents for) and am hoping to get feedback from more people. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for Mac VST hosts to put in the VST Chain Logic section.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #21 of 155
My computer with SlickEQ is on Windows 7 64 bit. Does this crash happen during playback, without the VST's gui open or while making changes to VST's interface? I know that VST 2.4 can have some issues with VST interfaces and crash when making adjustments. Once the preferred settings are achieved, and the interface is closed I have never had a crash from sound processing only.
Exactly the later... crashes when making initial adjustments/settings and always goes down when I try to set and save a user preset. Never happens while playing. How do you save the preset before it crashes?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 155
For Mac?

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 155
I have lots of experience with Room EQ Wizard. I used it for several years, successfully, for Digital Room Correction (DRC).

I even bought a calibrated USB mic for $75 - MiniDSP Umik-1.

The REW program may seem intimidating at first for new users, though. But you can do it.

Once you generate the impulse file, load it into the Foobar component called "Convolver", the result is great.
But, if you wish, instead of this Convolver, you can also load the impulse into other convolution plugins. I used one time LiquidSonics Reverberate LE.
Or, Voxengo Pristine Space.

But, frankly speaking, then I found another (better) program: MathAudio Room EQ. It can accomplish everything that REW can do, but it's more simple, graphical, user-friendly, etc., and you can adjust it even while playing music. Once I tried it and compared to REW, I started using MathAudio Room EQ.
It can both measure the room resonances and correct for them (it has two modes).
I use it as a VST plugin in Art-Teknica Console with Foobar. But it is also available as a Foobar component, if you prefer it this way.

I advise those people who are new to DRC, start with MathAudio Room EQ. It will be most likely all you need.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 155
I have lots of experience with Room EQ Wizard. I used it for several years, successfully, for Digital Room Correction (DRC).

The REW program may seem intimidating at first for new users, though. But you can do it.

Once you generate the impulse file, load it into the Foobar component called "Convolver", the result is great.
But, if you wish, instead of this Convolver, you can also load the impulse into other convolution plugins. I used one time LiquidSonics Reverberate LE.

But, frankly speaking, then I found another (better) program: MathAudio Room EQ. It can accomplish everything that REW can do, but it's more simple, graphical, user-friendly, etc., and you can adjust it even while playing music. Once I tried it and compared to REW, I started using MathAudio Room EQ.
It can both measure the room resonances and correct for them (it has two modes).
I use it as a VST plugin in Art-Teknica Console with Foobar. But it is also available as a Foobar component, if you prefer it this way.

I advise those people who are new to DRC, start with MathAudio Room EQ. It will be most likely all you need.
Thanks for the info. Would MathAudio Room EQ work as a system-wide EQ solution for streaming music, like the Equalizer APO tool? It looks to be a standalone solution for Foobar playback, but maybe not the right tool for a complete system for all sound sources.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 155
Exactly the later... crashes when making initial adjustments/settings and always goes down when I try to set and save a user preset. Never happens while playing. How do you save the preset before it crashes?

Unfortunatley, there's issues with some VST interfaces and the VST 2.4 Adapter. I haven't used presets on SlickEQ, but after trying just now I found it crashes on me too. It's annoying for sure, but I haven't really needed user presets on this plugin due to the relative simplicity of it.

I noticed that under SlickEQ's preset settings there is a link called "open containing folder". I thought maybe we could create manual setting files in notepad or something and stick them in there, but when I clicked on "open containing folder" it crashed again. Then I realized I never did a full installation, and never created a new folder. Perhaps the SlickEQ dll is calling for a folder that doesn't exist. I'm curious if this might be a reason for the presets crash, but not sure. Perhaps using the installer for SlickEQ would create this folder, and retain preset functionality. I will try to trouble shoot this on another computer later.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 155

I updated the op with an entire new section for room correction, and added Math Audio Room EQ to that section. I will soon add Art-Teknica Console to the general section and be creating a new section under plugins for "Timing" that will include LiquidSonics and PristineSpace reverb. Thanks for all the helpful input!

How about adding system wide DSP options? I have multiple sources and I want them all to be processed, not just iTunes.

For Macs= AU Lab, a free VST host that comes well regarded (even suggested by Apple for iTunes mastering) has been added to the "VST Ordering Logic" section.

Edit: The link in the op to the Apple Mastered for iTunes FAQ was removed due to constant redirection to their iPhone site.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 155
I personally use apo equalizer that works with any windows application.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

I'm also ordering a microphone to run the Room EQ Wizard (REW) and will feed APO with the result, but that approach is restricted to speakers.
the automated system is indeed limited to speakers. but once you have a grip on how to use at least part of REW and a mic, I bet you will also start fooling around measuring headphones and IEMs with some DIY settings and "coupler"/dummy head...
the main issue is that you have no meaningful reference for headphones or IEMs so you first have to find one using your ears. and then from headphone to headphone you get a sense of what you generally want and get to set it up super fast thanks to actual measurements. merry Xmas, you're getting yourself a new audio hobby where you'll waste so much time to save a little time in the long run ^_^.

Thanks for the info. Would MathAudio Room EQ work as a system-wide EQ solution for streaming music, like the Equalizer APO tool? It looks to be a standalone solution for Foobar playback, but maybe not the right tool for a complete system for all sound sources.
I didn't see any export option, you'd be better off with impulses to use with EQ APO. still MathAudio does seem to be intuitive, so maybe some will want to use a virtual cable and a VSThost to make a system wide solution while using VSTs.

I guess this is relevant to the topic so I'll put it there. personally I never fell in love with EQ APO. I tried plenty of times over the years and it has become pretty complete, but somehow I guess I'm just too used to what I've been doing all this time. I use a virtual audio cable and a VST host. then route anything I want(so everything or not) toward the virtual cable. I bought VAC(virtual audio cable ^_^, great naming abilities) a few years back, but I'm not sure I would recommend it now as it's not intuitive at all(on the other hand it is VERY customizable). but there are free easy solutions like https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm . so it's probably a better choice. I've been using the "VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable" one in the list because the fake asio in and out was convenient for when I loop stuff into my Scarlet 2I2 and wish to add some EQ or whatever in the loop to check the impact. but it's my understanding that the other solutions can be more versatile and easier to set up. so probably the way to go.
as for where to put the VSTs, well there are many solutions, free or not. I use VST Host( also great naming abilities). and Pedalboard2 but there really are plenty. @ironmine suggested console, there are even some funky solutions like Bue Cat's patchwork https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_PatchWork/ cost 100$ so that's not nothing. in this one instead of chaining plugins in a WYSIWYG kind of way like the others, you get to set up stuff in rows and columns. but again, as for anything VST related, there is a bunch of everything and at least too many ways to get to the same result.
one obvious advantage aside from the ability to route anything anywhere we like, is that you can use 64bit VSTs and VST3 VSTs with the right VSThost, while foobar is stuck to 2.4 and 32bit(some other players are 64 and VST3 compatible, in that respect foobar has become slightly limited).

because I'm a silly guy and I use the same computer for everything, I've become used to have one VST host for speaker stuff, one for headphone stuff and one for measurement stuff(again for when I want to place something in the loop for controls). there is no need at all, any of those handles presets and I could switch within the same VST host, but by having everything separated I stop spending 10mn wondering why my measurement doesn't work after forgetting which setting I'm using. it's my anti being dumb solution ^_^.

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 155

Had some more time to play with this, and found some interesting things. When I tried to "open the containing folder" again without touching anything else it worked, and brought me to c:/user/name/AppData/Roaming/Foobar/vst-presets/TDRVOSSlickEQ The problem is the folder is empty, so all the established presets in the plugin are sourced from elsewhere - this folder only contains user made presets. I found that the plugin only crashes when you try to use the keyboard, but if you allow it to create a preset with "*Default" as the name, and press OK, a new FXP file will appear in the above mentioned folder. Go to that folder, change the name of the FXP file, and it will appear with the new name next time you open Foobar. I know it's a wonky solution, but it works. BTW, using the VST installer did not add any additional preset folders. Just made dll installation more complicated, so I still recommend sticking to the download w/ no installer.

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 155
Unfortunatley, there's issues with some VST interfaces and the VST 2.4 Adapter. I haven't used presets on SlickEQ, but after trying just now I found it crashes on me too. It's annoying for sure, but I haven't really needed user presets on this plugin due to the relative simplicity of it.

I noticed that under SlickEQ's preset settings there is a link called "open containing folder". I thought maybe we could create manual setting files in notepad or something and stick them in there, but when I clicked on "open containing folder" it crashed again. Then I realized I never did a full installation, and never created a new folder. Perhaps the SlickEQ dll is calling for a folder that doesn't exist. I'm curious if this might be a reason for the presets crash, but not sure. Perhaps using the installer for SlickEQ would create this folder, and retain preset functionality. I will try to trouble shoot this on another computer later.
Yep, exactly what I have faced as well. Hopefully between us all we can figure out the work around. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back