The DIY'rs Cookbook
Nov 25, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #106 of 1,974
Lately I've been tweaking my EQ and now my 800's, again.

The results are still being evaluated.

BUT I can say that the single most impressive mod thus far, in a long time, was finally getting an EQ that worked.

By now most have seen me yammer on about the sonarworks EQ.

Yeah, it's still a must have mod.
But I took their 'standard' average compensation curve and asked them to 'uncork' it a bit for my 800's.

Um, I wasn't expecting the magnitude of just this one little tweak.
It, um, er, kinda acts like superglue.
As in my headphones are now firmly stuck on my head.

The seemlessness of the integration of the extreme bottom end, say from 35Hz and on down to below 15Hz is simply stunning.

But wait there's more…

I recently sent my headphones to get them measured, for the first time, ever.

I was so looking forward to the results and they didn't disappoint.
Well in one way I suppose I could look at the graphs and numbers and go wholey Wyrd Schiit!

But after analyzing the results I embarked upon a series of trial experiments.

And wholey Wyrd Schiit again, only this time exceeding the previous performance, at least in a few area's thus far.
I need to listen more and let me and it 'acclimate' a bit more.

For the first time, ever, (this stretches back decades) I have a EQ that not only improves the overall tonal balance but also brings out subtle intonations and nuances, again, like hearing your music anew, again.

The thing is I went the exact opposite way from using lots of dampening, or even some.
Instead I have just a little bit on the 'trapazoid', and that's it.
Well except for using some vibration absorber material to stabilize the mounting of the driver.

I'm looking at vibration control as a primary means of dealing with the 800's 'idiosyncrasies'.

This far I'm liking what the changes are.

JJ

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #107 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?
Part 5 Listener Fatigue ugh…

Ok so this is a long one, so grab a favorite frosty refreshment, settle into a favorite chair and follow along,
Or not :atsmile:

tLFF - - the Listener Fatigue Factor
I stumbled over tLFF (the Listener Fatigue Factor) again as I was tracking changes, over time, of the SQ of my system as it ‘aged’, while performing ‘experiments’. I noticed that sometimes I could crank up the DRC way more than other times before a degree of listener discomfort kicked in. So I started to track this ‘variability’ in my daily log.
And what I started to notice were patterns that as tLFF was reduced, I could crank up the DRC more than when the tLFF was ‘high’.

IOW, right from the start as tLFF got better the DRC could be increased as well, and vice versa.
And it should be noted that Listener Fatigue is a common enough experience, but is not well understood nor defined, at least as far as I can find.
IOW we know it when we hear it but don’t have the ‘what it is’, well enough in hand.

But what I came to realize was the reason the DRC could go up as the tLFF was reduced was because the acoustic energy was more closely coupled/bound to it’s parent/‘source’ ‘voice’, which is what happened as tweaks and such were made.
These changes produced a closer coupling of all the acoustic energy that an instrument makes such that it was more precisely timed and presented to my ears.
I heard this as the actual acoustic musical signal being more faithful to the original.
Not in terms of the FR spectrum but rather in the dynamic energy of the ‘voices’ that are presented to me.

An example.
Stick your head near a piano or drum set or other percussive instrument while it is being ‘vigorously’ played. What you will experience is the ‘power’ of the impacts, the percussive effects, the energy that is being created and ‘imparted’ into the acoustic environment.
This creation and release of power, is based upon the excitation of ‘tuned’ resonant components that further create sub and supra harmonics which are all ‘created’ as a direct consequence of the initial energetic injection by the musician. Namely when the stick hits the cymbal or drum, the hammer hits the string, etc. This ‘starting point’ for that note and especially the subsequent harmonics that are created are what we use to identify not just what the instrument is but which note is being played, how ‘loud’ it is, what the acoustic environment is, how near or far away in 3d space, etc.

We can identify these things because we have previous experience, we ‘learned’, what the acoustic ‘signature’ for a particular instrument sounds like. And as this acoustic signature is changed, by whatever means, there is a deviation from original acoustic power signature.
IOW we can tell a tack piano from a grand, from a standup etc. and we can tell when it is close miked or from a greater distance away because the resultant sub and supra harmonics change accordingly.

All of these subsequent harmonics are created and released into the acoustic environment in their proper time, because they are a function of the creation by that initial energetic impulse and are ‘time aligned’ to that source.
IOW they are bound to it, because they are created by it.

When these subtle time alignments are skewed or delayed or stretched out thru time, the original acoustic energy is now ‘smeared’ and no longer properly adds it’s acoustic energy to that of it’s parent.
IOW the acoustic energy we hear being presented to our ears is out of synch from it’s original creation.

This ‘smearing’ or spreading out the acoustic energy tends to ‘fill in’ where there should be a lessor amount of energy or where that energy simply didn’t originally exist in the dynamic creation of the original signal.
This makes the original source sound out of focus, as in, the subtle cues and harmonics are ‘Fat’ or spread out.

THIS is my vote for Listener Fatigue

Where the acoustic energy is not presented ‘properly’, either by having signal ‘added’ or by the signal being ‘out of synch’, because either;
this energy is not presented with the full and precise original energetic acoustic signature,
and/or more acoustic ‘artifacts’ have been added due to other sources of distortion.
In either case these changes can create Listener Fatigue.

And these changes/additions can come from 2 basic ‘sources’.
The first being the playback equipment adding ‘distortion’ of some sort, of which many are well known (IM, THD, FR etc.).
The second being a specific subset of the first, that being, that the original acoustic energy is being presented (heard) out of synch from its original source.

All due to changes to the re-created signal that are noticed, one way or another.
Even if the original recorded signal is distorted to begin with.
IOW Listener Fatigue is due to ‘misplaced’ acoustic energy.

From what I've gleaned thus far, when the re-created source signal is 'properly' timed, and passed along to the HP's intact, the resulting acoustical presentation creates more 'powerful' sound pressure, in its proper time with respect to its actual acoustic source.
This added 'power' means that the impacts of percussion instruments, and the ability to hear sub-harmonics is enhanced.
It also has other really kewl beneficial results for most other 'voices', like an increase in the perceived instantaneous dynamic range of each 'voice'. 
IOW the smack and punch and impact and leading edge all have greater power behind them, for all ‘voices’.

Oh yes and let me add, this isn’t just about digital music playback. If tLFF truly is all about the music being out of synch with itself, think about what happens when the diamond tip ‘reading’ the groove walls isn’t aligned ‘properly’…
The 2 channels of information become ‘time smeared’ if the VTA and azimuth aren’t adjusted ‘properly’. The use of tLFF as a tool also applies to analog signal sources, especially vinyl, when the diamond tip isn't precisely reading the groove.
Think screech and Listener Fatigue gone berserk, especially on poorly recorded vinyl, in fact this is where I first stumbled upon this rather helpful diagnostic 'tool' many years ago.

This also applies to digital which is why I think we are seeing all these femto second clocks, power supplies with umpteen sections of regulation etc., just to help get the timing and amplitude as accurate as possible during the analog signal re-creation. 
And power amps (strictly an analog device) can seem to play a big role in contributing to tLFF as well.

And there appear to be 2 general sources of these contributions to tLFF.
The first source is during the re-creation of the analog signal, and the second contribution is during the ‘delivery’ of this signal.

So, first off, all DAC’s use mathematics to re-create the original musical signal, likewise a diamond tip ‘reads’ the groove wall, or the tape head ‘reads’ the magnetic flux modulation, etc. These re-creation methods and related devices are all performing a change of state from one medium to another (usually into an analog electrical signal). And these energetic translations/changes of state from digital, or mechanical, or magnetic, to electrical along with their compliment, the electrical to acoustic energy translations, are always the most critical in terms of ‘getting it right’ (accuracy, precision, resolution, etc.).
And during playback this initial change of state is the very basis for the signal to start with, and if it isn’t ‘properly’ dealt with, no amount of corrective action will ever ‘fix’ the signal. Well, other than substituting with ‘better’ devices and/or processes.

Secondly, faithfully delivering that signal and then completing this energetic change of state into acoustic pressure contributes it’s own variety of LF issues. This secondary contributor to tLFF is something we can actually deal with on a less than wholesale replacement of major components (amps, dacs, cartridge etc.) basis.
Indeed this is where most of my tweaking has yielded the most bang for the buck. And which also significantly affects new major components as we ‘upgrade’ our systems as well.
IOW as the entire system is improved, new gear will perform ‘Better’, or at least it is not being limited as much by previous ‘choke points’.
And a significant portion of these improvements are gained from the amp and its ability to ‘properly’ couple with the driver.

And what I have come to know is that as we lessen these ‘errors’ while generating acoustic pressure, and/or allow more of the original signal to come thru, tLFF is reduced and the SQ takes a mother may I step up as more and more of the available acoustic energy is aligned and then ‘properly’ presented/heard during playback.

The list of influences or tweaks I’ve experimented with, that contribute to the improvement of tLFF are, for some, hard to believe, and/or for others seem to be outright dubious.
However they either proved to be ‘Better’ or not, based upon the criteria as set out in this series of posts.

And to make things even more ‘complicated’ there does seem to be a threshold that needs to be crossed before these changes become evident to the point of undenyability.
IOW if the system is ‘clogged’ with ‘choke points’, unless you ameliorate a major clog there is a good chance you may not hear any change, mostly due to masking/smearing of acoustical energy where it doesn’t belong. This is a common observation made by many who try only one ‘upgrade’ like a power cable or interconnect cable, and hear no differences. Of course there is the distinct possibility that the attempted ‘upgrade’ simply wasn’t up to the task. (it wasn’t a sufficiently better cable etc.)
But once one of these ‘choke points’ is found and improved it will be VERY obvious when this happens, and it will be very hard to deny that not only was there a change but it was ‘Better’.

Another Side Note on the Side…
‘Choke Points’, CP's do you need one hand or two?
So what ARE ‘choke points’ you ask?

I’ve been using the term ‘choke points’ but haven’t explained what I mean, until now.
This term refers to any portion of a system that limits the conversion from electrical power, to signal, to acoustic power in an audible way. I have ‘discovered’ several of these limiting aspects in my system to date, but only by negation.
By that I mean as they were removed the overall SQ makes a sudden and obvious improvement. One that is undeniable (well over the ≈10% threshold) and is so gratifying that there is no doubt as to its being “Better”.

Such things as fuses, lowering the resistance of cable connections, ie, when I soldered the romex hot, neutral, and ground junctions only 15’ upstream from where my system is plugged in. And when I added an early mod to my 800’s (anax mod), it was as if I was hearing my music anew, again.

But once this threshold is reached it can initiate a cascade effect where EVERYTHING can start to make a difference. However initially this can lead to further confusion and frustration once a change IS noticed, because now determining if it is really an improvement, or just a change, becomes the deciding factor instead of just IS there any change.
This is at least in part, why this series of articles is being presented. To help with knowing if a change truly is “Better”.

And tLFF has, at least for me, become a most useful tool in terms of determining if changes made are actually beneficial improvements or are just changes. There are of course other tools mentioned in this ‘Better’ series that also can help and the combination of these tools allows me to more quickly determine what is a desirable change, and if an actual removal of ‘choke points’ CP's occurred, which did lessen the tLFF’s influence.
Or not.

This is a decided double edged sword in that as the choke points and other system deviations are removed, the more those that remain seem to loom large(r), which for some can be quite frustrating.
On the other hand once a degree of resolution is reached and the SQ is refined ‘enough’, the SQ has stepped up and away from what we have experienced in the past, so now we are experiencing previously unexplored edges of the acoustic envelope.
Which means we are now navigating in somewhat unfamiliar acoustic territory.

But it also means as fewer and fewer ‘choke points’ remain, the overall SQ continues improve.
As such, we are discovering new/additional nuances and subtle details of the presentation of the music, as we continue to hear it all anew, as the veils and unwanted ‘artifacts’ are removed.

This of course could be the DIY’rs curse — forever removing artifacts… think Sisyphus :D

Listener fatigue as a tool
Like tea, you will know it’s good if you automatically reach for more when offered.

So if the desire strikes you while listening, to just turn it off, or down, or go do something else, or you are easily distracted away from listening, then consider that the Listener Fatigue Factor, (tLFF) is ‘high’, at least high enough that it distracts you away from ‘getting into the music’.

A correlate to this is, as we are able to listen to increasing playback levels (as the DRC goes up) before tLFF ‘distracts’ us, this would be considered an improvement, a ‘keeper’.
This is yet another test we can use as a tool to help determine if the changes we make really are improvements, or just changes.
In fact a striking example of this was when I first modded my 800’s with an early anax mod…

Which translates into, IF we can crank up the DRC and NOT hear any acoustical information that is strident or distracting at the same or higher playback level as in previous listening sessions, THEN we can use this to help determine if the latest modifications/experiments were able to increase the playback level, before onset of obvious tLFF.

Another way of perceiving this is to view it as an exploration into scaleability and how well the components scale upwards together. I have learned that, again,as the ‘choke points’ are ‘removed’ or diminished in severity, the task now becomes how to determine if the resultant changes really are ‘better’, or not. And when there is an obvious improvement, as in ‘OH MY DOG’, or ‘I’m hearing my music as if it were the first time’ etc. this provides solid evidence, at least to me, of a marked improvement in the overall resolution and that the system has ‘gotten out of its own way’ all the more.
IOW, scaleability just took a significant step up, and EVERYTHING sounds better.

And from the, is the glass half full/empty perspective…
If the music does not, or can not, engage you, as in pull you into itself and hold your attention, then tLFF may be a causative or an additional factor, one that can be ‘tested’ for and certainly monitored as changes are made to figure if said changes truly are a keeper, or not.

This also relates to the idea of increases in the DRC, where, as the volume goes up (assuming that the ‘sound doesn’t get loud’ factor is in place), does the sound become more involving, more compelling, with more toe tapping time?

All of these ‘measures’ of ‘musical satisfaction’ can be quite useful tools to help determine if recent changes truly are ‘keepers’.

And after getting just a taste of Jggy just recently, it just reaffirms my take on this.
The ability of the entire system, and for each ‘voice’, to present and delineate those ultra fine details and remain in focus to itself, is also related to the Listener Fatigue Factor.

JJ

End Part 5
Next up
Feel the POWER

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #108 of 1,974
  I first heard a Garage1217 Project Ember at a head-fi meet at BottleHead headquarters on Bainbridge Island awhile back. I was intrigued by this open frame hybrid amp. Then I picked up the Bravo V2 as it was a cheap (really cheap) open frame amp. It didn't sound bad, but it didn't sound all that good either. Then I noticed that G1217 also made a hybrid with a circuit topology similar to the Bravo (but the PS-III is designed correctly.) I took a chance and acquired one. The topology has a tube providing what it does best, voltage gain, and the output of the tube plate goes directly to the gate of a mosfet running class A, doing what it does best, current gain.

Am I glad now I took this chance. Subbing a Linear Power Supply for the SMPS, pairing with a Mousai MSD192 and HD650 and before i new it I had a rocking budget system. Recently we put the Schiit Bifrost MB in place of the MSD192. The evolved budget system busts preconceived notions that you have to spend enormous amounts of money to achieve auditory delight. Now I have other systems that can delivery higher resolution or greater (name your favorite parameter here), but they require a lot more investment. Sure the Liquid Crimson or ZDSE rocks. At 10x the price of the PS-III. And I do appreciate the Liquid Crimson and ZDSE for the extra performance that they deliver. Not everyone can justify such investment. So the goal is how far up the Receiver Operating Curve of price performance can we put a budget system. This one will be hard to beat.

I just ordered Schiit Bimby and a Garage1217 Sunrise III. And then belatedly today thought about perhaps improving the Sunrise's power supply. Not an area I know anything about, and I am not finding many 24v linear power supplies. 

Any recommendations ?

TIA

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #109 of 1,974
Here is a place to start…

http://stores.ebay.com/along1986090/Finished-linear-Power-supply-/_i.html?_fsub=12070925010&rmvSB=true

JJ

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #110 of 1,974

I just ordered Schiit Bimby and a Garage1217 Sunrise III. And then belatedly today thought about perhaps improving the Sunrise's power supply. Not an area I know anything about, and I am not finding many 24v linear power supplies. 

Any recommendations ?

TIA

Look for a Talema 24V Linear Power Supply on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALEMA-25W-24V-Linear-Power-supply-115V-or-230V-to-DC24V-L156-6-/141718315599

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #111 of 1,974
  Look for a Talema 24V Linear Power Supply on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TALEMA-25W-24V-Linear-Power-supply-115V-or-230V-to-DC24V-L156-6-/141718315599

Thanks, Mr Atomic. I belatedly realized the Talema had been listed in post #42 that detailed what gear you all had been using.

Much appreciated. The Project Sunrise III is on-hand and I like it, the Bimby arrives tomorrow.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #112 of 1,974
tLFF - - the Listener Fatigue Factor

Listener fatigue as a tool

The ability of the entire system, and for each ‘voice’, to present and delineate those ultra fine details and remain in focus to itself, is also related to the Listener Fatigue Factor.

Nice presentation jj. I would like to offer some alternative thoughts. The human brain in conjunction with the Human Auditory System (HAS) is remarkable in ability to fill-in missing or distorted information. All those on-line sentence challenges where the vowels are missing is the visual equivalent. So when auditory information is distorted from the original, our brains work hard to reconstruct what should have been heard to maintain the audible illusion. This may be one reason for DAC-deafness claimed by many. This ability comes with a liability; it is exercising the brain such that the brain becomes fatigued. The long term test is that one doesn't feel as tired listening to reproductions from one source over another. Less reconstruction of what should have been perceived by the brain. Realism is easier to perceive without as much brain corrective activity.

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #113 of 1,974
Excellent!
Isn't it amazing how we can adapt to such a wide range of circumstances dynamically, as they occur.

And I can see where 'over thinking' (filling in the 'missing' content) can tax ones ability to concentrate and focus after a while.
Thus the distraction/not get sucked into the music aspect, could complicate our ability to easily listen as a result.

The distraction quotient was an indicator when it occurred to me, as my mind started to wander, which was an odd happenstance, for me anyway.
Then when I tied it into the tLFF it started to make more sense.
Then as the DRC variability got into the picture it started to make even more sense.

And another aspect I didn't bring up in the post was the perception that as the tLFF was reduced the 'loudness' was reduced as well.
This along with the ability to crank the DRC up to the same perceived volume could be perceived as, as tLFF was improved the 'effective volume' was reduced, which meant that the DRC could be increased to reach the 'same' volume.

Which is kinda odd if you think about it…
IOW as the SQ is improved, the perception that the spl has been reduced, given the same setting of the DRC.
This was another 'clue' that led me to the insight about the resonant harmonics becoming more tightly coupled to their 'parent' 'voice'.

Thanks for your info, it gives me yet more food for thought… :atsmile:

JJ

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #114 of 1,974
  Nice presentation jj. I would like to offer some alternative thoughts. The human brain in conjunction with the Human Auditory System (HAS) is remarkable in ability to fill-in missing or distorted information. All those on-line sentence challenges where the vowels are missing is the visual equivalent. So when auditory information is distorted from the original, our brains work hard to reconstruct what should have been heard to maintain the audible illusion. This may be one reason for DAC-deafness claimed by many. This ability comes with a liability; it is exercising the brain such that the brain becomes fatigued. The long term test is that one doesn't feel as tired listening to reproductions from one source over another. Less reconstruction of what should have been perceived by the brain. Realism is easier to perceive without as much brain corrective activity.

Many people do not appreciate just how much brain processing goes into something as mundane as speech recognition. Let alone analysing and appreciating art in the form of complex harmonics.

I've been fortunate enough to grow up in a bilingual environment, meaning that by now I'm fluent in four languages, and I have a relative knack for tackling other languages as a hobby when visiting other countries. One thing that I've realized is that when listening to a completely new language (one with which you're not particularly familiar), all the sounds come in as a sustained mumbling. Everything is muddied, smeared, and your brain can't make any sense of it all. It's just a very high noise level. (For those of the English conviction, try one time to listen to someone speaking Mandarin, or Brazilian next to you.) But the more you get exposed to the language, and make a conscious effort to make out the sounds, the more the brain adapts itself to distinguish the sounds and all of a sudden the muddle disappears, replaced by a clear recognition of different sounds and tones. I still can't understand any Chinese (no more than 5 words, anyways), but when someone talks next to me I can clearly make out words, intonations, phrases. I can't put any sense to the sounds, but my brain can to a degree make out the sounds themselves. (This says nothing about my ability to repeat those sounds, which is in many ways inexistent.)

One aspect that many of those who speak a language in addition to their native tongue have experienced is... the switch. The famous switch when all of a sudden someone pops right in front of you and starts speaking mumble-jumble. Once the shock subsides, the brain catches up and shortly you understand that the weirdo in front of you is actually speaking some sense in a language that you might actually know. It's not like you haven't heard the sounds --- everything was right in front of you. And it isn't like you don't understand the sounds --- you know the language. But the brain hasn't yet warmed up and done its processing magic, filling in the blanks. The same effect happens when you get parachuted into a foreign country whose language you master solely on an approximate level --- for several months the brain is playing catch up, rewiring synapses (i.e. writing new code paths) and fine-tuning the processing mechanisms. After half a year or so your brain may already become perfectly attuned to the indigenous language, so it's easy to forget just how hard it was to hear people speak and understand their speech in the first place.

This is with real sounds, coming from a natural source, directly to our ears. Now imagine when the same sounds come from a less than perfect DAC, with missing codes, quantization and timing errors, oscillations...

If we get back to DAC testing, I would argue that side-by-side switching of DACs is --- as far as the brain going into overdrive is concerned --- not unlike switching languages mid-sentence. The brain must detect the change and quickly adapt and switch to using a different processing "software". It once happened to me to need to switch between four different languages in different social contexts within some 5 minutes. While to my surprise it went OK-ish, I suspect there were some fumes at the back of my head. I've seen first-hand (and felt it too) how difficult it is to switch just to a 2nd language, so doing switcheroos with DACs within very short periods of time can't possibly be a good idea if the goal is to appreciate the quality of artistic rendering of sounds. Doing so repeatedly will likely make your brain enter into autopilot, some energy saving mode in which subtleties are simply being tossed out the window and only very basic processing is being done.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #115 of 1,974
I want to point to some annoying hypocrisy in the last few pages, several posts bashing straw man "objectivists" caricatures

need I quote the 1st post, the plea for avoiding attacks - doesn't it run both ways?

some of the forum dominant "subjectivists" seem to lack intellectual maturity to apply such standards to positions they don't agree with

too often insulting distortions, stereotypes of those "stupid, tin eared meter readers" get kudos, "well dones" and "attaboys" from their posse

it is a bad dynamic for the forum, the hobby and a direct affront to this thread's OP "conditions"

those applying controls to their listening do often start from the position of "hearing differences" in less controlled situations - and choose to test the perception to a, in their opinion, higher standard

serious students of audio perception do actually perceive new to them, even previously disbelieved audio differences when they can DBT ABX a difference

I badgered Ethan Winer into listening for "absolute polarity"  which he had previously publically denied - Ethan performs, records, builds room treatments, runs workshops, writes on audio, music recording tech

on listening, successful AB/X he readily admitted learning that the waveform polarity was audible, perceived as a slight pitch change despite having exactly the same frequency components in the test waveforms

there are "naïve objectivists" - jumping to conclusions, making unjustified "scientific" claims - but I see their supposed claims more often in the writings of "subjectivists" wanting easy targets - when they haven't fabricated the strawman from whole cloth to start just for bashing

want "conventional audio measurements" worth writing about, debating - try reading Audio Precison white papers, manuals - don't make up the claim that someone serious still uses (or ever did) 1 kHz THD at one level as the sole audio quality metric

I and others interested in audio already own Fastl&Zwicker's Psychoacoustics, attend talks, demos, tour studios, own $k of headphones...

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #116 of 1,974
Um, I don't see which posts you are referring to, especially with reference to "forum dominant "subjectivists" seem to lack intellectual maturity".

And by itself this statement seems to fall into the same trap as "the plea for avoiding attacks - doesn't it run both ways?"

IOW, I'm confused as to what posts you are railing against and why.

Could you be a bit more specific and kindly leave the denigrations at the door?

Thanks JJ

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #117 of 1,974
you don't think people working form a scientific skepticism point of reference, having educated themselves in real experimental design, the strong results from perceptual psychology at large, psychoacoustics in particular aren't justified in finding some of these offensive?

Quote:
 I have a great idea for some – they could blindfold themselves, add earplugs and experiment on making love to various consenting women...

Quote:
 Yes, "objectivists" seem particularly fond of spreading this...

...And it is their opinion that they are expressing, nothing more, because they haven't experimented (subjected their opinion to verification) with sufficient thoroughness.

But once they do hear differences, then the challenge is to come to grips with it.
This can be difficult at times due to their past history of denying there IS any difference, and then suddenly their experience tells them their opinion was incorrect.

"intellectual immaturity" is actually a "soft" interpretation - it can be curable ignorance

the other interpretation is malicious intent - or do you have another way of seeing it?

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #118 of 1,974
Um, well, that is a step towards what I asked.
But from what posts are those quotes from?
As in, what is the context in which those posts were made?

I do recognize a few of them but the context is as important as the quote itself.

Thanks JJ

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #119 of 1,974

Hello Mistah AB, yet again.

I've read y'all writing about Linear power supplies but never gave a thought to why you were using one.  I'd thought the Garage1217 stuff was supplied with Power supplies, aren't they? 

I just though that a Lab. guy  wouldn't buy ( or want )  the stock unit if you already had something you trusted.  

Now I get the impression that you actually recommend a better than stock Power supply, ( which isn't at all expensive ).  

Why?

Do the Garage1217 guys offer something? 

I kinda like the idea of these little Tube Amps with the colorful LED lights, I'm deciding between the one you own and the Ember.  Maybe I'll become a Tube Rolling hobbyist kind of "Nut-case" my peers will tell funny stories about.  I could make a beautiful Walnut presentation Case for all the Tubes and even have Tube T-shirts printed up.  I need something like this to take my mind off the "Serious" issues facing us.

Tony in Michigan

Nov 30, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #120 of 1,974
Hello Mistah AB, yet again.

I've read y'all writing about Linear power supplies but never gave a thought to why you were using one.  I'd thought the Garage1217 stuff was supplied with Power supplies, aren't they? 

I just though that a Lab. guy  wouldn't buy ( or want )  the stock unit if you already had something you trusted.  

Now I get the impression that you actually recommend a better than stock Power supply, ( which isn't at all expensive ).  

Why?

Do the Garage1217 guys offer something? 

I kinda like the idea of these little Tube Amps with the colorful LED lights, I'm deciding between the one you own and the Ember.  Maybe I'll become a Tube Rolling hobbyist kind of "Nut-case" my peers will tell funny stories about.  I could make a beautiful Walnut presentation Case for all the Tubes and even have Tube T-shirts printed up.  I need something like this to take my mind off the "Serious" issues facing us.

Tony in Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back