The DIY'rs Cookbook
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #1,936 of 1,974
No not yet. :smirk:
But I have a PLAN… :sunglasses:

It is but one ingredient of my full secret sauce recipe along with sprinkling my frozen tears over them (cryo treatment) and the thermal cycling treatment and the hi-freq cancellation treatment, along with the too secret to mention stickerator treatments. :L3000:

And all of these combined will be applied during the re-build of this amp while optimizing the component placement and thus minimizing the length of my wire with gain for zero loss of ANY of my precious electrons. :flushed:

And research has shown that the loss of our precious electrons is an under reported problem of epidemic proportions which has been plaguing the audio community for decades now. :confounded:

But I have a PLAN… :sunglasses:

JJ

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,937 of 1,974
Could anybody point to any link or source where I can see how a MINI XLR connector (for an audeze or meze headphones, for example) should be soldered properly. The regular 4 pin XLR big connector to the amp, that I have seen it solder a few times and there is plenty info on youtube, but those mini XLR that has 4 pins but only 2 cables, there must be like a right way to do it, so that it is a more resistant job, or something like that? any help would be welcomed, thanks.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,938 of 1,974
Could anybody point to any link or source where I can see how a MINI XLR connector (for an audeze or meze headphones, for example) should be soldered properly. The regular 4 pin XLR big connector to the amp, that I have seen it solder a few times and there is plenty info on youtube, but those mini XLR that has 4 pins but only 2 cables, there must be like a right way to do it, so that it is a more resistant job, or something like that? any help would be welcomed, thanks.
The below is for Audeze and also works for ZMF (not sure about Meze). I don't know what (if any) importance there is to tying pins 1 and 4 together and pins 2 and 3 together. Pin 1 is the positive and pin 3 is the negative (or ground) for each earcup. I made a cable for my ZMF's using just pins 1 and 3 and leaving 2 and 4 bare-naked for each connector and it works just fine.

1627516764049.png

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #1,939 of 1,974
Other than making the 4 pim miini-xlrs universal (sort of) by tying pins 1&4 and 2&3 together for audeze and zmf or any other set of cans that use this arrangement, it would drop the Ω thru these connectors by ≈ 1/2 which isn't really a big deal due to the actual amount of current involved in the 1st place.

However I would NOT wire up the 3 pin xlrs by tying pins 1& 3 together for a truly balanced connection…
Pin 1 is chassis/shield ground and pin 3 is (-)signal which should NOT be tied to ground.

JJ

Jul 29, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,940 of 1,974
Other than making the 4 pim miini-xlrs universal (sort of) by tying pins 1&4 and 2&3 together for audeze and zmf or any other set of cans that use this arrangement, it would drop the Ω thru these connectors by ≈ 1/2 which isn't really a big deal due to the actual amount of current involved in the 1st place.

However I would NOT wire up the 3 pin xlrs by tying pins 1& 3 together for a truly balanced connection…
Pin 1 is chassis/shield ground and pin 3 is (-)signal which should NOT be tied to ground.

JJ
Hmmm. Not sure I understand. There are only 2 incoming wires into each cup's mini-XLR (for the ZMF anyway). Pins 2 and 4 are not connected to anything in the cable. If I solder a jumper between 1 and 4, and a jumper between 3 and 2, how does that reduce the resistance? Technical idiot question.... :thinking:

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #1,942 of 1,974
In reality the audeze 2's and 3's that I have only use 2 pins (of the 4) so jumping the other pair of pins is pointless.
In fact that was what I was going to do (use all 4 pins) with my 2's & 3's but audeze glued the cables into the wood 'body' of the earcups.
That really isn't totally a bad thing, and actually from a reliability pov makes lots of sense…

However it also means I don't have access to the unused pins to be able to use them to reduce the pin to pin contact resistance by using all 4 of those pins in those connectors.
And many would argue that this amount of resistance coupled with the amount of current being sent would/should make no difference to the sound.
And using stock audeze cables I would agree, but then we all know the stock audeze cable is 'sub par' to begin with so no wonder opting to use all 4 pins (if it were even possible) is pointless.

But when using aftermarket cables this 'limitation' may be noticeable, however I can't verify one way or the other because those 2 extra (unused) pins are not readily modifiable.

Mores the pity…

JJ

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,943 of 1,974
So the latest word on my super tweako OPT's is they should be shipped early next week.

I'm still jazzed!!

JJ :ksc75smile:

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,944 of 1,974
In reality the audeze 2's and 3's that I have only use 2 pins (of the 4) so jumping the other pair of pins is pointless.
In fact that was what I was going to do (use all 4 pins) with my 2's & 3's but audeze glued the cables into the wood 'body' of the earcups.
That really isn't totally a bad thing, and actually from a reliability pov makes lots of sense…

However it also means I don't have access to the unused pins to be able to use them to reduce the pin to pin contact resistance by using all 4 of those pins in those connectors.
And many would argue that this amount of resistance coupled with the amount of current being sent would/should make no difference to the sound.
And using stock audeze cables I would agree, but then we all know the stock audeze cable is 'sub par' to begin with so no wonder opting to use all 4 pins (if it were even possible) is pointless.

But when using aftermarket cables this 'limitation' may be noticeable, however I can't verify one way or the other because those 2 extra (unused) pins are not readily modifiable.

Mores the pity…

JJ
I have a Norne audio cable incoming for the ZMF's. Be interested to see whether pins 2 and 4 are connected in it. And I have no idea if those pins are connected inside the ZMF earcups...guess I'll put a meter on them and see.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,945 of 1,974
I would hazard a guess that since they are 300Ω HP's that they only use 2 pins and not all 4…

Just say'n is all…

JJ

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,946 of 1,974
I have a tracking number :tongue: fiwibida, fiwibida (that's supposed to be a tongue flapping at you…)
hahahahahahahahaha.

JJ
geez the smilies on this site suck, like in big time.
Have I mentioned this recently?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,947 of 1,974
geez the smilies on this site suck, like in big time.
Have I mentioned this recently?
Not that I remember. but then I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #1,948 of 1,974
I can relate because there are 2 parts of the day, Lightime and Darktime and sometimes they seem to blur or blend together.
And it doesn't seem to matter because I do the same things in both of them, which can make for compounding confusion!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,949 of 1,974
Just a quick update.
I'm still waiting for my tweako OPT's to clear customs in NY where they arrived up on Aug 17th with nary a peep since.

To say I'm both disappointed and anxious is an odd combination of emotions.

JJ

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #1,950 of 1,974
If only.
If only I had waited 1 more day.

Because my tweako OPT's from Bulgaria are due in tues or wed (today or tomorrow).

WooHoo…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back