THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Nov 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,456 of 3,874
Quote:
Excellent work D2000!
Knobs everywhere... I'd like one made but the 12kg shipping charge would be a killer!
biggrin.gif

5 coats of lacquer sanded between each coat to give it that gym floor sheen. Amazing!
Great job!
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback TD,

I'll keep that advice in mind when coating it later this week (maybe even today if the weather clears up).
You're not wrong about the shipping - it costs about $150 AUD as a baseline internationally...via SeaShipping NOT Airmail =P Airmail starts at around $200.
Still, I'd like to think that there may be someone who wants one enough.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,457 of 3,874
Quote:
What's your amp/source component mounted on the base called? It's beautiful. Where did you get it from and what price :)

its a Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 tube amp found here: http://bravoaudio.com/bravo2.html. I picked it up for only around $60 shipped on ebay, but the parts on it are garbage and out of spec. I modded it with higher end audio parts found in some other forum, cost totalling to around $40 in parts, mainly consisted of audio grade caps, better power regulators and mosfets and a few resistors/trimpots. but yeah, that amp is beautiful (and sounds amazing), especially for the price I paid. =)

its just my amp, my source is actually coming from my computer, through an ASUS Xonar Essence STX, with a new set of opamps =P 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,458 of 3,874
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,459 of 3,874
Quote:
its a Bravo Audio V2 12AU7 tube amp found here: http://bravoaudio.com/bravo2.html. I picked it up for only around $60 shipped on ebay, but the parts on it are garbage and out of spec. I modded it with higher end audio parts found in some other forum, cost totalling to around $40 in parts, mainly consisted of audio grade caps, better power regulators and mosfets and a few resistors/trimpots. but yeah, that amp is beautiful (and sounds amazing), especially for the price I paid. =)

its just my amp, my source is actually coming from my computer, through an ASUS Xonar Essence STX, with a new set of opamps =P 

Cheers thanks very much mate. It sure looks good and hopefully sounds just as good. There's plenty of room on my latest stand to fit it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,460 of 3,874
Quote:
Cheers thanks very much mate. It sure looks good and hopefully sounds just as good. There's plenty of room on my latest stand to fit it.

Nice yeah, I just saw your stand. Looks sick man. I think you should go with a more vibrant stain finish on it to show off the grains. maybe a light golden/brown. Otherwise, go with a bolder dark brown, almost red/chocolate. I think those will look best. and if all else fails, black!

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,461 of 3,874
Quote:
Nice yeah, I just saw your stand. Looks sick man. I think you should go with a more vibrant stain finish on it to show off the grains. maybe a light golden/brown. Otherwise, go with a bolder dark brown, almost red/chocolate. I think those will look best. and if all else fails, black!

I was thinking the same thing too - definitely darker, like say milk chocolate-ish... Thanks for the feedback man :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,462 of 3,874
Quote:
Not a bad 10 minute job at all buddy :) Nice use of the metal handles against the black. I bet the HP's are easy to come on and off (a must for me)

Thanks. Now that I compared mine version with yours, I just remembered what my father used to say. "Whenever you create something, make it so that nobody asks 'how long did it take to make it' but 'Who made it?'. Very nice work from you.

And yes, now I can get my headphones easily on and off :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #1,464 of 3,874
Quote:

"Whenever you create something, make it so that nobody asks 'how long did it take to make it' but 'Who made it?'. Very nice work from you.

And yes, now I can get my headphones easily on and off :)

Hits me as it applies to basically every single assignment I've handed in! @@

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,466 of 3,874
I just got done making my stand.  I've been working on it for a few days but have been fighting the urge to post it until it was finished.  It is pretty simple with the Ikea shelf ends, a drawer pull from home depot, and some aluminum strips for the base.  Getting the finish to look decent was the only complicated part of this project.  I have a line of jewelry that I make out of nuts and washers and that is what you see decorating the stand.  

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,467 of 3,874
Incredible looking stand! I like the decorative accessories.

Good to see some Ultrasone love as well. :D

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,468 of 3,874
Thanks! I love those Ultrasone cans! The Senns in the back are the MM550s which are also great. This thread inspired me to give them a more prominent location on my desk. I just got a new Mac Mini and 24" monitor to replace my MacBook Pro so my whole desk setup changed. I think I am going to keep this stand on top of the Mac mini. They look pretty nice together :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,469 of 3,874
That would be an excellent topper for a mini. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back