THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Aug 7, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #886 of 3,874
Here's something I have been wanting to put together for a while. Nothing fancy, but it looks nice enough for me.

Basically used an old stick (I have enough broken ones around to make many of these) to make the T and the base is oak from a chair that was being thrown away. I liked the figure and weight of the wood, so I cut it to size, sanded it, and refinished it with a nice lacquer coating.

Overall it looks nice and is very sturdy. I am very happy with how it turned out for just an afternoons work.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #887 of 3,874
Looks like a Saul Bass poster. I love it.

Quote:
Hey guys, here's my first headphone stand design. I drew this up in Illustrator and cut it out of foam core board, as a physical mock-up. I will CNC this design out of wood for the final product. I wanted to keep it real simple, possibly no glue needed, just slide the pieces into place
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #889 of 3,874
Paying homage to an old head-fi favorite. Just picked this up for $6 at my local home depot. Not exactly DIY, I know, but so cheap it might as well be xD

Kojaku

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #890 of 3,874

Quote:
Looks like a Saul Bass poster. I love it.

Thanks for the kind words. I have been meaning to get around to this project but have been waiting for my brother to finish calibrating his cnc machine so I get crank this design out of wood. I'll post here as soon as I get the prototype done.

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #891 of 3,874
My first entry into the DIY headphone stand world! My boss does a bunch of woodworking as a hobby, so I asked for a few of his scraps that he was going to throw away and he gave me two nice pieces of mahogany. This build is pretty straightforward, but I like the results! Stained with Red Mahogany stain and 2 coats of gloss urethane.

And my boss told me he has a nice piece of maple he'd let me have. Probably going to make a maple base+PVC hanger for the next one

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #892 of 3,874
Aug 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #893 of 3,874
I will go all wood, but it depends on how much maple my boss decides to give me. I liked that he gave me 2 pieces of mahogany to make my first stand.

What kind of metal would be best? In case I do go that route

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #894 of 3,874

Quote:
I will go all wood, but it depends on how much maple my boss decides to give me. I liked that he gave me 2 pieces of mahogany to make my first stand.

What kind of metal would be best? In case I do go that route

I'm always a fan of the brushed metal look, but that's just me.  Pretty much any metal can be used.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #899 of 3,874
A DIY I made with my dad
Yes, I am a young Head-fier

The back is solid redwood, we had some since my auntie was renovating the house
The "holders" are solid oak I believe

The holders are bought from Home Depot, originally I was gonna create the holders
I did not want to use a circular shape, because of pressure contact with the headband
These were wider, and were about $1.50/foot
I stained it with mahogany and used velco (industrial strength) to attach to the wall
The whole process took about 3 hours from start to finish

I didn't not use a stand because I don't have enough room on my desk
Hope this helps those who have small desk

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #900 of 3,874
Quote:
Sorry for double posting but it's finished!!!!

This stand can easily fit 3 full sized headphones and everything was done by hand. Originally, I found a small circular wooden base in my house but it had a crack so I couldn't use that and I didn't want to buy a new one so my stepdad and I just decided to make a new base. Our goal was to spend nothing and in all we didn't, except for the mahogany finish and the polyurethane seal ($12 for both.) Overall, I'm extremely happy with how it came out. My stepdad did most of the cutting but I did the initial measuring, sanding, and the finish on it. Plus it was my first time really working with wood. So what do you guys think?

Wow.  That is freakin' epic for Shure 840s.  Is it sitting atop a Marantz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back