THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #571 of 3,874
Just thought I’d make a contribution to this pretty entertaining thread – there is some impressive woodwork going on here. As much as I normally enjoy woodwork – I had a ‘WooAudio-like’ stand in mind with this design.
I have always liked the now classic ‘IKEA hack’ of the Bjarnum shelf bracket with Capita feet. This is a slightly different take on the cheapo but elegant IKEA approach – one I haven’t seen before, but maybe someone, somewhere has already done it?

Start with the following (stainless steel) items:

Lillholmen face tissue holder - €4.99
Januari Table Lamp Stand - € 7.99

With a hacksaw, saw off the bottom of the Lillhomen tissue holder and file down any rough edges. Saw the top off the lamp stand (if you are feeling really creative, I’m sure there must be a way to rig up a small light inside the tissue holder).

Securing these two together is up to you – I used a piece of old round garden post of just about the right diameter to fit into the tissue holder – drilled a hole in it (you’re going to need a pretty big drill bit – 12mm) - but I expect a thick piece of PVC piping or similar would do the job equally well. I then glued everything together with very strong epoxy resin (almost as expensive as the stand!)
The end result was pretty satisfying, especially as it only took me about 20-30 minutes hands-on time (not counting the endless searching through piles of junk in the garden shed...).
I can hang three sets of headphones on it with ease – even including the relatively bulky AKG 701’s.

DAC-in-a-Box.

But all those headphones do produce a cable nightmare – especially annoying to my ‘significant other’. So the solution was just staring me in the face in the Bathroom section of IKEA – the Molger set of 3 boxes. Beautifully made and finished, at €6.95 these are a bargain whatever you do with them. I converted the largest to a cable box cum DAC-in-a-Box. That knob is part of a Nuforce uDAC, which is now nicely tucked away, with the USB and line outs exiting through a whole in the rear of the box.

Ikea Headphone Stand – High capacity.

Just to prove I really do enjoy woodwork – though clearly not as talented as some on this thread – I came up with a high capacity stand for the truly hopeless headphone cases. This thing can take five pairs, if pushed! And yes, it is another IKEA hack.

A Rationell Variera plate holder (€5.99) has again had a hacksaw taken to it. The upright is an oak bed leg from IKEA from a few years back (the wife hasn’t looked under the bed yet and discovered where all her favourite books went...). A similar current leg is the Sultan (at €8.95 for four you can make four of these stands and have a good excuse to buy another fifteen headphones). The base is a piece of maple I had lying around.

May 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #572 of 3,874
davesheadphonestand.jpg

Friend made me mine out of skirting board spraying it black soon, I'll post another pic when it's sprayed.

Edit* Sprayed Black now.

davesheadphonestandblac.jpg

May 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #573 of 3,874
I went a different route with Ikea stands. I installed these Bjarnum shelving brackets on my wall to hang headphones on.

You can see an older picture here. The only thing that has changed is that I hung rolls of packaging tape on the stands that I rest the headphones on that give the contact area a more curved surface rather than the square edges of the hangers.

May 7, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #576 of 3,874
I know it's DIY but this is what I'm using for the time being until I can build my own.  Bought it (2 in a pack actually) from Wal-Mart for $2 and some change, has sticky tape on the back...works well enough.  I'm thinking about building something similar to a banana hanger I've been looking at on Amazon.com.

May 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #578 of 3,874

Quote:
I can tell these are beyerdynamic's but I haven't seen any with wood, what's the dealio?

Quote:
http://www.headphile.com/page8.html

No those are not from Headphile. They're also not Beyers, at least not the drivers. Those are custom headphones I built using the Beyer headband/fork assembly. That particular headphone is the Chocolate Donut MkI, followed later by the MkII. These use Yamaha YH-1 Orthodynamic drivers in custom cups, with improved damping. The MkII used the Yamaha YH-100 drivers, and had deeper bass. 

May 10, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #580 of 3,874

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7513/dvc00017t.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4083/dvc00002t.jpg
First headphone stand I've made, looks a little ugly but they work just fine!

EDIT: does anyone else see a jumble of text or is it just me?

May 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #581 of 3,874
Here's mine - cost less the $15 and only had to use a screwdriver:

This all started when I saw a rolling pin in my kitchen drawer.  The idea of creating a headphone stand out of it popped into my head.  So now my Grados, AKGs and Beyers have a nice home.  All I added was two posts at either end of the base - available pre-cut at Home Depot as "Parsons table legs" - and some some hooks to hold the rolling pin up.  The half piece of wood bridging the side posts is perfect to stash the cables behind so that they are out of view, and to also serve as a place to add the obligatory Grateful Dead sticker.  The whole thing took less than a half hour to build and cost less than $15.  Plus all I needed was a screwdriver - I used scrap wood from the Home Depot DIY saw area. 

May 24, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #582 of 3,874
Darkraver, yours is genius! Not too sure about the colour scheme though. :p

Tom.

May 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #583 of 3,874

bryanweiss, I've got a broken marble rolling pin; now I know what to do with it, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back