THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 24, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #3,332 of 3,874

Is that real carbon fiber rod? Ether way its nice.

Yes its real carbon fibre tube made in a closed two part bladder mould to get the shape, I work with carbon fibre a fair bit in my day job. Generally its just to expensive to mess about with for little projects. Its not only the cost of the material but also the amount of hours that are required to achieve a good part with a nice finish are high. 

Quote:

That is really cool how did you trim it out with a band saw.

Yep band saw and lots of elbow grease sanding. Its still at work at the moment I will post a pic or two with the cans on when I bring it home later. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,333 of 3,874

Yes its real carbon fibre tube made in a closed two part bladder mould to get the shape, I work with carbon fibre a fair bit in my day job. Generally its just to expensive to mess about with for little projects. Its not only the cost of the material but also the amount of hours that are required to achieve a good part with a nice finish are high. 

Quote:

Yep band saw and lots of elbow grease sanding. Its still at work at the moment I will post a pic or two with the cans on when I bring it home later. 

Great work I love carbon fiber, I though of using it a couple times but with premade sheets.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3,334 of 3,874

Great work I love carbon fiber, I though of using it a couple times but with premade sheets.

If your application is not  cosmetic ie anything structural be very careful about buying premade flat sheets its often low quality carbon made with the cheap resin or even in some cases imitation black dyed glass fibre.

Here is a rough basic difference in price

Black glass fibre imitation around $4 a sqm   the real thing mid grade (not aero rated) $45 a sqm (you need roughly 3 x 1 sqm meter  layers to give a sheet 1mm in thickness.
El cheapo polyester resin $2 a kg and the resin I use is a premium epoxy which costs about $40 a kg

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,336 of 3,874

I'm working on it XD

designed a simple one.
But i made the Schiit stack from scratch, that was fun :)
Using Sketchup

I went and got some walnut wood today. Gonna make it tomorrow. I might put some leather on the top bar to make it softer on the headphone head bands

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,337 of 3,874
  So here it is my 304 stainless stand, getting quotes having some Electroplated to a mirror finish. The best part is it took me 36 seconds to laser 1 part out.

Looks awesome!

you need to 69 those "L"s though; you are wasting a lot of material.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,342 of 3,874
I've spent so much time looking over this thread and drooling over fantastic works of art that, with a little extra nudge from a friend, I felt I might give make a stand a shot! It's not even close to being done but I'm to excited to not share the idea and what it looks like at the moment.

This is my first time ever working with wood that wasn't a 2x4 in my highschool shop class. A black cherry was recently removed from my yard and I kept a ton of it for firewood for my dad (bleh... I hate burning beautiful cherry especially since I have friends who would make beautiful pieces out of the wood) and any abstract pieces and logs way too large to deal with I saved for my friend who is a master carpenter.

He got me onto the idea of trying to create my own stand so today I started! I'm all about using the natural look of the wood and shaping the stand around the way the limb is shaped. My amp will sit on the flat top, the headphone will hang off of the side that goes up to the left. The limb will be trimmed down and shaped to hold the headphones and I'm trying to figure out some way to use the rest of the limb to make a shelf on the right side for the DAC (trying to implement the broken limb on the right into the shelf). Hopefully the bark stays on it after I spent some time today removing all the lose pieces with a chisel. Thankfully my friend will help me out and once the wood has dried a decent amount (still going to carve and cut it fresh and let natural cracks form) I'll be able to get it finished!

Fingers crossed that it'll turn out well.

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,343 of 3,874
  I've spent so much time looking over this thread and drooling over fantastic works of art that, with a little extra nudge from a friend, I felt I might give make a stand a shot! It's not even close to being done but I'm to excited to not share the idea and what it looks like at the moment.

This is my first time ever working with wood that wasn't a 2x4 in my highschool shop class. A black cherry was recently removed from my yard and I kept a ton of it for firewood for my dad (bleh... I hate burning beautiful cherry especially since I have friends who would make beautiful pieces out of the wood) and any abstract pieces and logs way too large to deal with I saved for my friend who is a master carpenter.

He got me onto the idea of trying to create my own stand so today I started! I'm all about using the natural look of the wood and shaping the stand around the way the limb is shaped. My amp will sit on the flat top, the headphone will hang off of the side that goes up to the left. The limb will be trimmed down and shaped to hold the headphones and I'm trying to figure out some way to use the rest of the limb to make a shelf on the right side for the DAC (trying to implement the broken limb on the right into the shelf). Hopefully the bark stays on it after I spent some time today removing all the lose pieces with a chisel. Thankfully my friend will help me out and once the wood has dried a decent amount (still going to carve and cut it fresh and let natural cracks form) I'll be able to get it finished!

Fingers crossed that it'll turn out well.

Holy crap that's a big limb can't wait to see it. You took on a big project my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back