THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,897 of 3,874
  Here's another one I made today. Can be used for one headphone or two. Going back to the more simplistic variety for now.

Hi Eric, I really like the finish you achieved on the wood, looks rustic and charming. I'm tossing some ideas around and got a basic design for a desk-clamping headphone "stand". After seeing your creations, which are all very beautiful I must say, I was wondering how to achieve this kind of finish. If you don't mind telling me, which kind of wood is this and how do you weather it (if you do)? thanks and keep on creating :)

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,901 of 3,874
Share my HD600's stand 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,903 of 3,874
  Hi Eric, I really like the finish you achieved on the wood, looks rustic and charming. I'm tossing some ideas around and got a basic design for a desk-clamping headphone "stand". After seeing your creations, which are all very beautiful I must say, I was wondering how to achieve this kind of finish. If you don't mind telling me, which kind of wood is this and how do you weather it (if you do)? thanks and keep on creating :)

On that particular one I use pine and merely sand it down very fine and then apply a stain by Miniwax called "Dark Walnut". I then sometimes coat the completed unit in mineral spirits or polyeurethane depending on the variety of wood. Nothing too spectacular goes into the process. 

Here is a variation on a stand that I made much earlier and sold to a member here. I'm just trying to play with curves here to see if they are in any way preferable to the more commonly used rectangular form. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #2,904 of 3,874
Eric,

You are one talented dude. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,905 of 3,874

On that particular one I use pine and merely sand it down very fine and then apply a stain by Miniwax called "Dark Walnut". I then sometimes coat the completed unit in mineral spirits or polyeurethane depending on the variety of wood. Nothing too spectacular goes into the process. 

Here is a variation on a stand that I made much earlier and sold to a member here. I'm just trying to play with curves here to see if they are in any way preferable to the more commonly used rectangular form. 

Thanks for heads up! Minwax does seem like a good product for this kind of weathering. I particularly dig the barn wood look so I searched a bit how to achieve it and an ironoxyde and white vinegar solution is supposed to do wonders on pine. I'll probably try that this weekend and build the stand :)

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,909 of 3,874
I found recently an interesting desktop monitor part and I was wondering what can I fix on top to support headphones? Any ideas?
The main I think it's the colour: navy dark blue and I don't imagine wood matching the overall style. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back