THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Feb 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,626 of 3,874
I wanted a stand to take two cans and ended up making a headphone stand to match my Bottlehead Crack.  It has a Carbon fibre body with solid Oak ends and two tubes running through for keeping the cables tidy. I still need to line the tubes out with a leather or fabric and sand out the hole saw marks on the Oak but you can get the concept.. I have a couple of other ideas I am going to try out also.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,627 of 3,874
Looks great with your BHC
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,628 of 3,874
I wanted a stand to take two cans and ended up making a headphone stand to match my Bottlehead Crack.  It has a Carbon fibre body with solid Oak ends and two tubes running through for keeping the cables tidy. I still need to line the tubes out with a leather or fabric and sand out the hole saw marks on the Oak but you can get the concept.. I have a couple of other ideas I am going to try out also.

Really nice job.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #2,629 of 3,874
Hey guys, light harmonic is gonna make a headphone stand and they are asking people to submit designs, the winner gets $1000.  They are the guys who made the geek out on kickstarter.  
You have to register to see the forum, here's the url  http://lhlabs.com/force/geekstand/774-geek-stand-plea-and-contest
I submitted my idea already it would be great to see one of you win

this was my submission it's a wooden av stand with two built in headphone hangers that pop off for replacement/upgrade

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2,631 of 3,874

They look made for each other!  Very nice wood work!

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,634 of 3,874
Thanks for the positive feedback all.

The Oak will get a couple of coats of Danish oil followed by some rubbed on wax which will then be buffed off.

I am not sure what the type of knob is I am looking for another one as I think the one on the moment is not quiet right. I have a few offcuts of carbon left and might try cutting/making a carbon disc and just sit it on top and see if that helps.

There is some further info on the carbon work and Crack build on my gallery page on the Bottlehead form if anyone is interested.

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,5284.0.html

Cheers guys

Jamie

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,635 of 3,874

Hello All,

I also used the hose rack hook from Lowes, and a 3 inch rubber plumbing coupling. The total cost was around $20. I then got online and searched for the Beatles Drumhead Logo of my favorite band and......voila!.........I love it!..........they hold my Sennheiser HD 439s quite nicely. It was easy to do and you can post any of your favorite bands logos from drumheads or otherwise to the round opening left by the 3 inch rubber coupling.

I actually should have placed the wires in the opening in the back as it can be put in the rubber hose coupling in the back. Makes it look even more clean and neat.
Mike

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2,636 of 3,874

Hello All,

I also used the hose rack hook from Lowes, and a 3 inch rubber plumbing coupling. The total cost was around $20. I then got online and searched for the Beatles Drumhead Logo of my favorite band and......voila!.........I love it!..........they hold my Sennheiser HD 439s quite nicely. It was easy to do and you can post any of your favorite bands logos from drumheads or otherwise to the round opening left by the 3 inch rubber coupling.

I actually should have placed the wires in the opening in the back as it can be put in the rubber hose coupling in the back. Makes it look even more clean and neat.
Mike

I really like how well this turned out.  When you used the 3 inch rubber coupling, is it held in place by pressure, or is it just sitting on the top of the rack hook?  I'm wondering if the coupling may easily come off when you remove your headphones.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,637 of 3,874
I really like how well this turned out.  When you used the 3 inch rubber coupling, is it held in place by pressure, or is it just sitting on the top of the rack hook?  I'm wondering if the coupling may easily come off when you remove your headphones. 

The 3 inch coupling simply fit over the bracket and the sides of the bracket hold the coupling nice and snug. Do not have to worry about it coming off.

Thanks for nice comment.

Mike

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,638 of 3,874

Hello All,

Mike

Very. very nice.....I have the same Lowes rack hook...I think I will grab a 3inch  rubber coupling.....where did you get the Beatles Drumhead ...or did you make it.....would loce to get a Cheap Trick one!

Great work, by the way.

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,639 of 3,874
 ~~Very. very nice.....I have the same Lowes rack hook...I think I will grab a 3inch rubber coupling.....where did you get the Beatles Drumhead ...or did you make it.....would loce to get a Cheap Trick one! Great work, by the way.

First of all, thanks for comments........I got the Beatles Drumhead off of Google Images and just enlarged it to fit the 3 inch coupling. The only thing I might do different, is that I wish I would have had it laminated. I may still do that. Otherwise, I get to look at that famous Drumhead Logo and be reminded of the Beatles each time I listen to the cans......Do the same for Cheap Trick!.........Heck, one could even print out a dozen and feature a new logo each month as the featured band of the month!.......

Happy listening!

Mike

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #2,640 of 3,874
I know some people find the heads disturbing but I actually like how they add character to an otherwise blank white wall.  
They also get to showcase the headphones in their intended forms.

Two old heads repainted white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back