THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
May 20, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #198 of 3,874
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well not my art actually but a friend's creation, I find it really simple and practical....

Wow!....very interesting!
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XPhile,

Nice job! My first effort is post #1, PVC and cedar.........I lived in K'Zoo a while ago.

Thanks! I'm not too far from K'Zoo, about 35 - 40 miles. It's a big city for me (a Barry County hillbilly)!
rolleyes.gif

Mike
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #199 of 3,874
Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

Special thanks to Paul Tower B Stores
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #201 of 3,874
How did you guys work with corners? Especially with the inverted "L" designs, as I'm trying to do one myself. The two connecting pieces will be made out of square ebony, if that can help anyone.

I'm doing a preliminary cut our of pine, and the only idea that I have right now is piercing a hole at the back through both pieces and put a small wooden cylinder there. I'm not sure the glue would be strong enough to hold the ebony piece and my ATs, as they are quite heavy (320 grams for the phones and 200 for the 6'' ebony piece).

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #202 of 3,874
Normally, you would use a mortise & tenon joint (one piece has a nub at the end that slides into the other piece which has a hollowed out depression), or maybe if you were fancier, a finger joint.

As for your glue question, trust be, if you use a proper wood joint (ie, not gluing them butt to butt), the wood will actually shear before the glue does.

Brendan

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #203 of 3,874
This thread made me want to DIY a headphone stand. I don't want just any headphone stand. I want one that would reflect my personality.

Initially I was thinking of getting some PVC tube, but I decided to check what stuffs do I have laying around. I found some fancy looking brass pipes and also some steel pipes painted black. I proceeded to put them together, fortunately they fit together like a puzzle. The brass pipe need some twisting so that the headphone holder faces at the right direction and tilts at the right angle. There is also a compartment for storing the headphone cable.

Voila, finally, I have a headphone stand that I can call my own.

IMG_2963.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #209 of 3,874
Quote:

Originally Posted by hekoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using two different stands for my three headphones:

First for my Gammas and my SR-202's I have a stand that I built out of Legos. I still have a huge bin full of Legos that I got when I was younger, so I figured I might as well use them for something.

img2229yv2.jpg

Legos FTW!!! if you have more legos left, im sure there are much more interesting ones you can make, and spend some time making the colours do something interesting.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #210 of 3,874
I'm stuck in a dorm for a summer program, got down here to find that I forgot my headphone stand... (for those who think i'm crazy for traveling with a headphone stand: I'm not crazy as you think - I'm here for 2.5 months, and my room mate is a fellow audiophile, so its all good
smily_headphones1.gif
)

So rather than have it shipped, I built this one for free: Plus it takes up zero desk space!

Photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back