The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Feb 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #406 of 579
Hi guys, reading this thread for two days from the beginning and finally this last page, it seems that there is no activity in here for couple of years now, most informative posts are from 2005...
Anyway just become an owner of a Sony D-350 with disc skipping problem, that is clearly described here, and what a good news to me was that this problem can be solved, I,ve got it almost free, almost accidently, and now when listened how it plays, i want to make this device working properly.
It's already quite clear to me, what to do, when I dismantle it, but still, I would like to look at the service manual, to avoid any mistakes that can destroy device, but not succeeded to find this manual yet, so does anybody have it?

Thanx

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #407 of 579
Hi again
So allready find a service manual for free from Download driver dll owners manual service user guide firmware software free :: FixDevice.Com
Opened my D-350 ant tryed tu adjust the pots mentioned here, but unfortunately this didn't solve the problem, I think if they are properly setted up from the factory its no use try set them up even better without special devices like osciloscope, however adjusting focus bias and focus gain I've succeeded to inCrease some resistance against shocks and reduced mechanism noise, but the main problem still apeared.
Machanical parts were lubed just fine, so no additional grease needed...
Then I putted device into a service mode, as shown in service manual, started to test the operation of mechanism and noticed thad main spindle motor is being quite noisy especialy when device is in horizontal position, when there is no CD, and with CD ant the maximal speed of spindle, all the device starting to vibrate quite hardly, again - when i'ts horizontal, the axle of the spindle motor is quite loose - I can feel it with my finger, I think this is one of the skipping reasons, so now I'm trying to figure out what can I do about this, try at first to lube axle somehow o replace the motor ir it's bearings from other motors, because I don't think I wil find motor that fits and will have the same parameters and all this for a reasonable price... original Sony A-3133-398-A spindle motor is no longer available at any web store. My local electronic part store has a quite wide range of wariuos CD optical pick-up mechanisms so i think to look for one with motor that fits best to swap into a original cdm-350 mechanism.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #408 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by grishman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi again
So allready find a service manual for free from Download driver dll owners manual service user guide firmware software free :: FixDevice.Com
Opened my D-350 ant tryed tu adjust the pots mentioned here, but unfortunately this didn't solve the problem, I think if they are properly setted up from the factory its no use try set them up even better without special devices like osciloscope, however adjusting focus bias and focus gain I've succeeded to inCrease some resistance against shocks and reduced mechanism noise, but the main problem still apeared.
Then I putted device into a service mode, as shown in service manual, started to test the operation of mechanism and noticed thad main spindle motor is being quite noisy especialy when device is in horizontal position, when there is no CD, and with CD ant the maximal speed of spindle, all the device starting to vibrate quite hardly, again - when i'ts horizontal, the axle of the spindle motor is quite loose - I can feel it with my finger, I think this is one of the skipping reasons, so now I'm trying to figure out what can I do about this, try at first to lube axle somehow o replace the motor ir it's bearings from other motors, because I don't think I wil find motor that fits and will have the same parameters and all this for a reasonable price... original Sony A-3133-398-A spindle motor is no longer available at any web store. My local electronic part store has a quite wide range of wariuos CD optical pick-up mechanisms so i think to look for one with motor that fits best to swap into a original cdm-350 mechanism.

deer friend pls email a copy of d350 service manual to me ,thanks .email liucunze@yahoo.com.cn

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #409 of 579
The motor that D303 and D350 use is RF-410CH.
Manufactory by MABUCHI.

Quote:

Hi again

May 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #410 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The motor that D303 and D350 use is RF-410CH.
Manufactory by MABUCHI.

Thanks, i'll try to search that one
I have disassembled my motor, here how it looks inside,

aplied some silicone-teflone grease on axle, the playback improved slightly, still need to try other motor, also i found an D-E220 CD-Walkman in my closet bought 10years ago or so... his spindle axle is even more loose, but it plays just fine, even if ESP is turned off, you have to shake it well to make him skip....

May 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #411 of 579
i am thinking the magnetic top stablizer (on the top cover of the case) makes the situation even worse.

Quote:

Thanks, i'll try to search that one
I have disassembled my motor, here how it looks inside,

aplied some silicone-teflone grease on axle, the playback improved slightly, still need to try other motor, also i found an D-E220 CD-Walkman in my closet bought 10years ago or so... his spindle axle is even more loose, but it plays just fine, even if ESP is turned off, you have to shake it well to make him skip....

May 10, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #412 of 579
someone is selling the motor assy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-A-3133-398-A-DISCMAN-MOTOR-ASSY-CLV-DC-0-15W-/280504057447?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item414f583e67

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #413 of 579
Hi,

I have the following problem.

My d-350 reads only disc, if I hold him vertical. The Sony Logo is in the upper or the lower right side. If I lay him on a table, I get the messege no disc.

I read a few times fron a problem like this. What can I do?

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #414 of 579
The vertical read disc problem is causing by the motor.  We have no source for this motor.
Adjust the pots may helps (depens on how bad the motor was) but still cannot solve the problem.

Quote:
Hi,

I have the following problem.

My d-350 reads only disc, if I hold him vertical. The Sony Logo is in the upper or the lower right side. If I lay him on a table, I get the messege no disc.

I read a few times fron a problem like this. What can I do?

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #415 of 579
Recently there is a problem with my D-9. It suddenly refused to spin the discs. The funny thing I found out later is that when I flipped over the player making it up side down, then it worked properly. It works also when being put vertically, but as long as I put it back to normal position, it stops spinning disc.

Could this be caused by the spindle motor or just lack of friction or too tight on the upper holding wheel? Thanks for any hints.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #416 of 579
Hi, ist ist possible, that the eject switch is the problem?  If you push the button, the motor get the commad "stop". Perhaps the spring is no more strong enough.

Quote:
The vertical read disc problem is causing by the motor.  We have no source for this motor.
Adjust the pots may helps (depens on how bad the motor was) but still cannot solve the problem.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #417 of 579
The eject switch is totally un-related to the skipping problem.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #419 of 579
Sep 3, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #420 of 579
Dear all!

Need your advice on the D-311.

The problem is the following (sorry for a long story and my bad English :)):

Because of the newborn kid I was forced to forget about my "normal" setup and I decided for the time being to move to the portable rig. I succeeded to find a very good condition Sony D-311 which worked flawlessly for a few weeks (no skipping or any other problem). Then occasionally I lost concentration for one minute - and now I have a dead device which was thrown on the floor (tile) by my 10 month old "criminal" :)))

So now I have a D-311 which can be powered on, then it's trying to spin the disk, and after two attempts it stops. The repairman who was trying to fix it said that he didn't like the sound with which device is starting to rotate the CD. At the same time he can see the lense which is trying to focus on the CD (moving up and down). So this is my sad story...

Can anybody give any advice on how to proceed? Does it mean that the pickup itself is dead or could it be the broblem of any other part (motor)? Please help!!!!!

BRGDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back