The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #541 of 579
I have two Sony Discman units from the late 90s. Both have the same problem: the position of the lid is critical or it will stop playing. Get it playing, and barely touch the lid, boom, play stops. It's like it thinks it's open. At first I thought the issue was the little latch at the front that holds the lid closed, but that seems to be mechanical only. I can get it to play even with the lid open just a bit.

The sensor must be near the hinge, but I can't tell what or where just by looking at the service manual. This must be a common problem on these old Discmans, yet I can't seem to find anything on this exact issue. Anyone fixed something like this?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #542 of 579
I have two Sony Discman units from the late 90s. Both have the same problem: the position of the lid is critical or it will stop playing. Get it playing, and barely touch the lid, boom, play stops. It's like it thinks it's open. At first I thought the issue was the little latch at the front that holds the lid closed, but that seems to be mechanical only. I can get it to play even with the lid open just a bit.

The sensor must be near the hinge, but I can't tell what or where just by looking at the service manual. This must be a common problem on these old Discmans, yet I can't seem to find anything on this exact issue. Anyone fixed something like this?

Well, I solved my own problem. There is a microswitch under the right-side lid hinge, just "north" of the DC input, in this case S801. What happens is that over 20+ years, the switch carves a dent, probably a fraction of a millimeter, in the underside of the lid. It's just enough so it cuts the power. I put a couple strips of electrical tape on top of the switch, and now it plays fine, even with the lid completely open 😀

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #543 of 579
Well, I solved my own problem. There is a microswitch under the right-side lid hinge, just "north" of the DC input, in this case S801. What happens is that over 20+ years, the switch carves a dent, probably a fraction of a millimeter, in the underside of the lid. It's just enough so it cuts the power. I put a couple strips of electrical tape on top of the switch, and now it plays fine, even with the lid completely open 😀
I just solved the problem I had with D-335 (1994) as well. The lid was not locked tightly when closed (probably worn out locking latch) and a little movement of the player would make the on/off microswitch moved as if the lid opened so it shut down. Putting pressure on the corner where that switch was helped a lot so I figured it must be just that on/off switch. So, I simply added a small piece of felt tape to the "presser foot" on the lid (adding it on top of the microswitch itself should work the same way) and now it plays without random shutoff. I tried using hot glue, but it didn't stick, superglue could cause damage to plastic part, so in my case felt tape worked best.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #546 of 579
I also have a question about a CD player. I took my trusty Sony D25 (D250) from the shelf after a long time.

I had to replace the common trouble maker gear. But now it recognizes and plays a CD only when the unit is held vertically. After starting to play I can put it horizontaly again and it works without any problem.

Does somebody have an idea how to fix this problem?

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #547 of 579
Hi all
I ran Into a couple of issues replacing main gear on my D25 : i lost the dàmn c clip holding it in place despite taking precautions. Would anybody have replacements for those or happen to know the diameter of it ¿
Amazon has those steel c clips in bundles, any feedback on those ¿
Also, while taking out the gears to clean off the shafts , the wormgear got out of its slot where it’s supposed to sit. Should i force it back inside because it seems like something is pushing back when i try to put it back ¿
Thanks.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #548 of 579
Hi everyone,

In the D-303 service manual it states that one must "Perform X.XV adjustment with an AA size battery" for the 3.5V and 3.8V adjustments.

Can someone shed light on what this means exactly?

Thanks,

Adam

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #549 of 579
I just picked up a Sony D-465. It makes a scraping noise when tilted.

The center hub where the CD presses on to seems to be very loose. The CD can wobble up and down a bit after it is inserted. I assume the disc is rubbing on the inside of the player due to it being so loose.

Anyone else have this issue? Can you buy replacement parts anywhere? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #550 of 579
Hi everyone
I just acquired an awesome D-25 that seems to work, but has the middle gear problem...and I got pretty far with trying a repair (removed and re-lubricated said gear though I'll likely have to get a replacement off eBay as it is pretty fragile) when the tiny split washer (I've seen it called a c-clip as well) went flying into the ether, grinding progress to a halt. I can't seem to find a post or other information here and elsewhere that advises how and where to order the exact right replacement for this split washer/c-clip, and I'm not sure what kind of size, circumference, or dimension terminology to use to locate it on the marketplace. It's mentioned in dozens of places, but no actual "this is the thing that you need to order" -level guidance. Is there anyone familiar with this ubiquitous tragedy who can point the way to ordering the part from somewhere (or perhaps there's another solution to keeping the gear on the shaft)? Any and all help (especially at a layman level) would be gratefully received. Thanks for your time!

Sep 9, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #551 of 579
I just picked up a Sony D-465. It makes a scraping noise when tilted.

The center hub where the CD presses on to seems to be very loose. The CD can wobble up and down a bit after it is inserted. I assume the disc is rubbing on the inside of the player due to it being so loose.

Anyone else have this issue? Can you buy replacement parts anywhere? Thanks!
You can buy spindle hub replacement for Sony PS1. I think it is interchangeable.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #552 of 579
I have Sony D-303. It skips when I put it flat and play but it works just fine if I put in 45 degree or some thing.
I wonder you can share info how to fix the unit.

Thank you.
Helllo! I am new to this forum. I saw your post and i guess we have the same problem. I have 2 discmans (D-303 and D-250). My D-250 has a broken motor gear while my D-303 has the same problems as yours. It plays when tilted lvertically but wont play when laying flat on a surface. I tried meddling with VR501-VR505 but no success. May i know how did you resolve your issue? Thank you so much in advance.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #553 of 579
Quote:

There is an adjustment that can be done that often corrects this. I have done it a few times but it has been a few years and have forgotten the specifics. I believe I found the information here on Headfi but over where the portable cd players would be and under skipping D303 or repair of D303 or it may have been this thread. There were even some diagrams. Some searches should bring up the information. I was able to get my D303 to a good working condition, one of them but a second I could not.

The D303 has one of the best internal amplifier systems of any portable. Too bad it was/is so prone to skipping and isn't really a portable with regards to walking around and using it.
Hello! I a new to this forum. Can someone help me with my problem please. I have a sony D-303 and it only play when tilted vertically. It wont play or recornize a cd when laid flat on a surface. I tried meddling with the 5 pots (VR501-VR505) but no success. What could possibly be the problem? Or am i just not getting the right adjustments for the pots? The discman seems to have sa gyroscope or balance sensor. It only wants to play when tilted. Thank you so much!

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #554 of 579
Hello! I a new to this forum. Can someone help me with my problem please. I have a sony D-303 and it only play when tilted vertically. It wont play or recornize a cd when laid flat on a surface. I tried meddling with the 5 pots (VR501-VR505) but no success. What could possibly be the problem? Or am i just not getting the right adjustments for the pots? The discman seems to have sa gyroscope or balance sensor. It only wants to play when tilted. Thank you so much!

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #555 of 579
Classic symptom of the motor going bad, you need to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back