The DIY Cable Info and Help Thread
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #91 of 105

Quote:
You have your tip and ring reversed. 

The tip is always the left channel. (right = ring)

so that basically means that the left ear should me right and the right ear should be left.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #92 of 105
yes. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #93 of 105

Quote:
thx a lot lizardking

could you confirm if i can use this cable for audio purpose? because the description says its to connect battery 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-Red-1M-Black-20-AWG-Heatproof-Soft-Silicon-Wire-Cable-Battery-connect-/320859045570?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab4b07ec2#ht_1377wt_805

That's 20AWG wire, it's pretty big. The higher the AWG, the thinner the wire. I wouldn't use that since it will be unnecessarily bulky. Instead look into 24~26AWG wire, like Mogami w2534 and w2893. Of course if it's for an interconnect for your home, which you probably won't move more than once a month or so, I don't see the problem.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #94 of 105
I've been working on making a custom HiFiMan cable but I have no idea what to do about strain relief at the headphone end, anyone know what to do with this?  

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #95 of 105
You can buy cord boots, or use a few stacked pieces of shrink tubing... or use sugru... lots depends on if you are using a connector, or hardwiring. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #97 of 105

Quote:
What do you consider "grotesque"?

Unless you need a LOT of wire, a USPS Priority Mail flat rate envelope is only $16.95US.

se

Priority mail is slow and has gotten lost before.  It isn't trackable.  And if something that isn't trackable doesn't arrive, the buyer automatically wins the Paypal claim.  Express only bro.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #98 of 105

Quote:
Priority mail is slow and has gotten lost before.  It isn't trackable.  And if something that isn't trackable doesn't arrive, the buyer automatically wins the Paypal claim.  Express only bro.

You can always buy insurance on a USPS package, which IIRC gives you tracking as a matter of course. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #100 of 105
If they are trying to do that, they can hardly complain when things go awry. *shrug*

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #101 of 105
I've always been marveled by the fact that I have to pay more to have my stuff NOT lost. I mean I know it's the norm and everyone just does it, but when I go to a restaurant I don't pay an extra so that my food doesn't get dropped on the floor, it's just expected. In the case of a delivery company, if they lose a package, they have successfully ruined the only thing required of them: deliver something. I don't see why I should pay more for what is already the bare essencial.

Mar 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #102 of 105
While i don't disagree with you in principle. In practice, there is little to be done about it. For what it is worth, I have never had anything lost in shipment, regardless of method. But from a business perspective, I regard the extra cost as my own insurance. I'm protecting myself, as much as anything. 

The only time it *might* have happened was a claim by someone later arrested for mail fraud, so I am not putting much stock in it. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #103 of 105
I'm not saying people shouldn't buy the insurance. If I'm ordering something like expensive wire or new headphones, I want a signed shipping, even if that means paying something like 40$. I just disagree that having your order not lost is generally accepted as a privilege.

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #104 of 105
Damn, hard to disagree with either of you.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #105 of 105
I've always been marveled by the fact that I have to pay more to have my stuff NOT lost. I mean I know it's the norm and everyone just does it, but when I go to a restaurant I don't pay an extra so that my food doesn't get dropped on the floor, it's just expected. In the case of a delivery company, if they lose a package, they have successfully ruined the only thing required of them: deliver something. I don't see why I should pay more for what is already the bare essencial.

I am in the middle of fighting with UPS over losing a $10,000 assembled, wired, and programmed rack of equipment, and your made me almost fall out of my chair laughing, so this made my day. Awesome post.

It will surely be included in my correspondence with UPS on Wed when we officially meet the "10 Day Lost Shipment Requirement" before starting an official loss claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back