The "Digital SLR that isn't Canon or Nikon" Thread
Jul 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #61 of 103
Quote:
I still have my Konica/Minolta 7D. While I lust after the full-frame Sony's (the 850 is a great value), the K/M is already too big to carry everywhere. Consequently it gets very little (read: barely) any use. But when I do, man the pics are so very nice!

Well, get the NEX-5 and a couple of small Zeiss/Voigtlander/Leica (and the alpha adapter to use your Minolta/Sony lenses) and you're all set
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #62 of 103
I've actually sold off my Nikon D200 rig to fund my jump to a Sony NEX-5 set up.  Not an SLR technically, but has an APS-C sized sensor in it.

Was very impressed with it when I played with it at Fry's.  The NEX-5 is absolutely tiny.  The current lens offerings are meh, but make for decent video.  But I do plan to try out some Leica M Mount lenses (if I can get one for not an insane price)  I already have the NEX to M mount adapter headed my way.

I really want this set up...

-Ed

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #63 of 103
That looks pretty sweet, but manual focusing using the LCD and the camera held away from the body seems like a pain, for action or quick people shots anyway. Maybe prefocusing & using DOF (aperture-priority or manual mode) to cover you would work.

Have you tried this configuration?

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #64 of 103
I'd rather go a step down and have a Olympus E-P2 or something similar and put a Zeiss lens on it. Going by DPReview's impressions, the Sony is really only a step up in quality from a point and shoot, rather than user control.

Honestly, if you're manually focusing and turning that aperture dial, surely you could find a camera that was more user-friendly? The Olympus with a Zeiss adapter would be my preference for a rangefinder-esque setup if I were inclined to go that route.

On top of that, you could get one of those viewfinders if you're not comfortable using the screen. Not sure if Sony has or has something in the pipe for an accessory like that.

You're giving up quite a lot going from a Nikon D200 to the NEX. While I'm not you, I'm curious what makes you go for such a jump.

Either way, Leica glass is... cool stuff. I wish I could get my hands on one.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #65 of 103
I just pulled the trigger on the Pentax 100mm SMC D FA WR macro. My wallet is in pain. 

Actually it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Yay student discounts!

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #67 of 103
The amazing thing is you get to own a metal lens without worrying about weight -- it's light enough, it could pass as plastic (in some circles). Not like my Super Takumar 200mm, which weights 3 times more than the 100mm Macro.

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #68 of 103

Quote:
The amazing thing is you get to own a metal lens without worrying about weight -- it's light enough, it could pass as plastic (in some circles). Not like my Super Takumar 200mm, which weights 3 times more than the 100mm Macro.

Not to mention it's pretty small... until you try to focus 
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #69 of 103

Quote:
I got a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1 with the 20mm f/1.7 pancake prime. I love it!

Oh wait, that isn't exactly a DSLR.
redface.gif

This was my decision when moving up from the Canon Powershot point and shoot.  I was looking to get a much better sensor, yet not go up to a big camera.

I looked at the Leica X1, but it is fixed lens, more expensive, and unavailable at that time.

I have the 20 mm 1.7, the wide angle zoom, and the 45 macro that I use in surgery.

I am really impressed with the inside family shooting without needing the flash very much, the pictures look so much better.  Sensor + fast lens.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #71 of 103
I've been interested in testing the A55 just to see how it stacks up to a lot of the EVIL/m4-3 systems out there and I've seen it get some pretty positive reviews. 

When it comes down to it though I'm pretty happy with how compact the K-x is, though I want to get a K-5 .

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #72 of 103
I have just received my (new to me) Super Multi Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f4, with extension tubes.
I'd be more excited if I had eaten something and if the weather wasn't so dismal.
2vl629v.jpg

t6tncj.jpg

33e4mkg.jpg

Last one is a heavily cropped image shot at 1/20 of a second at 1600 ISO f5.6, no extension tubes.
Focusing ring is heavy, but extremely precise. Very Takumar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back