The "Digital SLR that isn't Canon or Nikon" Thread
Jun 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #46 of 103
Get a UV filter, they're pretty cheap.  As for lenses, you should browse around and read reviews of lenses and pick something new out to use.  You don't like the 18-55 (I'm assuming that's what it came with)?

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #47 of 103
I've been looking for prime lenses myself, and for portrait work/low light work it seems that the 50mm f/1.4 is one of the best lenses money can buy, albeit at a price.The Sigma f/2.8 50mm macro is about $60 cheaper and also an all-around good lens.

I also wasn't terribly happy with the 18-55, even though reviewers raved about it.

If thats too much money still, I'll see what I can find under that.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 103
I just used my giflriends 50mm lens from her old pentax manual camera, and i don't really know what im doing or if that lens is even compatible with the k-x, but i somehow screwed it on there, and it works!  but... on the info screen, everything is blinking, i can't chang the aperture or anything it's just all blinking.  Does anyone have any advice?  Is this lens even supposed to work with a dslr?

Also, how do I know which lens will fully integrate with the k-x.  i don't like the 18-55 that came with it, but will any other lens have that autofocus feature? (where you press halfway and it autofocuses?)

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #51 of 103
I had a question.  My mom's set a budget of a max of $600, but she needs a new camera within the next two weeks (she said she'll buy more lenses later).  She's quite experienced with SLR's, but hasn't really ever tried out a DSLR.  She was looking at the Olympus E-PL1 and I recommended the Nikon D3000 or Pentax K-x.  My little bro has a D40, so I thought if she also had a Nikon, she could swap lenses with him and that'd be a good selling point (even if the E-PL1 seems to look better photo-wise to her).  What would be others' opinions on this?

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #52 of 103
Well, I guess I'll have to join the leagues of non-Canon/Nikon users.

Just received shipment of a Samsung GX-20. I threw a screwmount adapter on it and started clicking away, with a 50/1.4 Tak:

then, I decided to put on a 200/4 Tak of similar vintage:

I'm already in love.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 103

Quote:
I had a question.  My mom's set a budget of a max of $600, but she needs a new camera within the next two weeks (she said she'll buy more lenses later).  She's quite experienced with SLR's, but hasn't really ever tried out a DSLR.  She was looking at the Olympus E-PL1 and I recommended the Nikon D3000 or Pentax K-x.  My little bro has a D40, so I thought if she also had a Nikon, she could swap lenses with him and that'd be a good selling point (even if the E-PL1 seems to look better photo-wise to her).  What would be others' opinions on this?

I've used the D5000 and it is a great camera, so I would assume that the D3000 would be similarly good. The use of other lenses is definitely a plus - provided they are good lenses. The glass really makes the camera, and an entry level DSLR with a good lens is better than a higher end DSLR with a bad lens, IMHO. That said, the kit lens that comes with the K-x is pretty darn good quality. I recommend you check out the dpreview reviews of both - they have excellent reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

And that looks great planarhead! I like the focus and bokeh on the flower. And it uses K Mount, so you can use the spectacular array of Pentax lenses. I have a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 coming soon
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #56 of 103
It's really a great lens, and can be fully automatic. It uses screw drive from the camera body for autofocus, and produces some great low-light pictures. I haven't used the aperture ring on it yet, because the camera is really made to adjust the aperture through the software only. If you're interested dpreview has a good review of it here. It really seems to be a great successor to the older takumar 50mm lenses.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #58 of 103
Not many Sony shooters here, it seems. a700 here, trying to go full frame with the a850... while also trying to build a decent sound system
confused_face.gif

Macro is my thing.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #59 of 103
If I wasn't invested in the Nikon system, I would seriously consider a K-7. Very good camera for the money, and every feature under the sun.

As for accessories, get a nice bag that's doesn't look like a camera bag. Manhattan Portage makes some bags that can be easily outfitted for camera use with some Domke inserts. I have a Manhattan Portage West Side bag (~$70) and love it. It's tiny, but I can manage to fit a netbook, an SLR with attached prime, a zoom, a travel book, a flash, a bottle of water, and some small accessories. Can probably squeeze a third lens in there if I needed. (~$90)

I would also get UV filters for you lenses and get rid of the lens cap, but that's a personal preference. You can get cheap/good UV filters from B+W on ebay. (~$20)

A tripod would also come in really handy depending on how/what you want to shoot. For a very cheap and compact monopod, get some string and tie to your tipod screw mount thing. ($1-$100)

Other than that, I'd pick up some photography books/magazines. Let me know if you want some suggestions there. ($50)

That's how I think I'd spend my first $150-$200...

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #60 of 103
Quote:
Not many Sony shooters here, it seems. a700 here, trying to go full frame with the a850... while also trying to build a decent sound system.

I still have my Konica/Minolta 7D. While I lust after the full-frame Sony's (the 850 is a great value), the K/M is already too big to carry everywhere. Consequently it gets very little (read: barely) any use. But when I do, man the pics are so very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back