The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #8,971 of 15,119
Quote:

I remember that the same was told about Apple products. They were overpriced though well designed with inferior characteristics. For example, it was an established opinion that IPods sucked in SQ department. Not anymore.

Beats just noticed that trend which Apple had brought to mobile market and went ahead.

I've changed my opinion of Apple, as a whole too, recently. Before, I thought it was for all those rich, snobby people who like to flaunt their wealth and waste money on something vainly pretty and useless, but as I got to see more, it's not as vain as I thought it is. Well sure, there's still that luxury of owning a product with the half-bitten logo that people mistook that they got the inspiration from Turing, but they did a good job at making people feel highly content with their products, with the awkward side effect of zealous fanboyism. :p

Another thing I admire of Apple's product is the ease of use in general.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #8,976 of 15,119
Frankenstein is here, after a long wait. I'm not sure what to make of it; in a way, it lives up to its nickname in that the sound seems like a combination of parts. Therein lies the problem, however. The treble sounds tacked on to the rest of the sound. I'm not sure whether this is the Gui Ling sound, or it's a consequence of the TWFK not having enough juice to counterbalance the powerful (and very well-textured) 3300, but the highest of highs seem to have trouble eeking out sound. The sound levels are there, but it sounds like it is having problems getting there.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #8,979 of 15,119
Quote:
The bad news: my arthritis and joint issues are flaring up pretty badly, and I have fluid in one of my knees. There's a chance I may need it drained.

Quote:
That really sucks and I sympathize, I have RA and MS. On rare occasions I've had double flares, and when that happens doing anything is a challenge. Does your doctor have you on something to help you control them? When worse comes to worst, I have my Avonex/Mobic/Roxy cocktail which evens things right out (but leaves me feeling like a big pile of goo).

My heart goes out to all of you that have to cope with chronic illnesses and/or fight chronic pain. You are true heroes in my book, I wish you all the best.

Quote:
Speaking of Jazz, it's an uncharted territory for me for the most part. I like Herbie Manns album and title song Memphis Underground, the mixture of that monotone background with the flute and distorted guitars is just .. wow.  
Anyway, do you guys have any good recommendations concerning Jazz? Yes, I've heard most of the superstars already.. so I'd like to know some of those lesser known jewels.

Here's a snapshot of some favorite Jazz albums from my collection. Maybe you'll like some of them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #8,980 of 15,119
So the ODAC is here. It works with every other computer in the house except mine. -_- Initial impressions (running it straight out without amp to an Ety ER4S) - forward!!!! in my face!!!! aggressive!!! whoa!!! (not sure if it's a good or bad thing).

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #8,981 of 15,119
I went ahead and ordered a pre-built O2/ODAC combo, I guess I'll see what all the hype is about. I'll post an O2 vs Benchmark article. :)

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #8,983 of 15,119
This will be my first full summer in the American South.

So far, it resembles winters in the American Northeast and Midwest, in that the best strategy is to stay inside, huddle near a reliable source of (cold/heat), and don't ever venture outside during the (day/night) when the climate is most severe.

Which must be why I've been eyeballing full-sized audio equipment again lately: I'm cocooning.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #8,984 of 15,119
Quote:
This will be my first full summer in the American South.

So far, it resembles winters in the American Northeast and Midwest, in that the best strategy is to stay inside, huddle near a reliable source of (cold/heat), and don't ever venture outside during the (day/night) when the climate is most severe.

Which must be why I've been eyeballing full-sized audio equipment again lately: I'm cocooning.

Ha. What state are you in?

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #8,985 of 15,119
Quote:
What do you consider "superstars?"
redface.gif

I don't like lots of jazz, but I enjoy Coltrane, and Nina Simone quite a bit. If you consider contemporary artists like St Germain and The Dining Rooms as jazz, I'd also check them out.

How weird, my quote cut some of your post out. On the other hand, we agreed upon celebrity endorsed headphones not being the end of the world, so yeah .. Let's leave it at that! 
smile.gif

Superstars would be Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong and so on. Now, as for your suggestions:
- Nina Simone was really good. It is very vocal jazz though .. her voice and the singing is more important than the music which seems to be taking a backseat. At least in those few songs I listened. Definitely going to listen more to this woman. I liked the song "Sinnerman" very much.
- St Germain wasn't really that good, in my most humble opinion. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it was too "modern" so to say. Do you understand how I mean? It seems to me as if they mix a jazzy style with modern synthesizers and drum machines and while good, it wasn't really my taste.
- The Dining Rooms, well looking at Spotifys most popular by this group, it started out with Ink. I really liked it. A modern feeling here as well, but more calming and "tasteful" (sorry for wording, but I will use it in lack of a better word. I'm not implying that St Germain is distasteful) than St Germain. But the other songs were a little like St Germain - from 'okay' to 'good', just not what I was after. I will definitely listen to these late at night though as this is more chillout for me than anything else.

Nina Simone took the cake from your suggestions! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Well, I've always liked Alain Caron he's a jazz bassist from Quebec. Very underrated musician in my oipinion.

Wow, speedy, groovy, cool. I can feel tha funk, and want to get down and boogie now.

LOL, seriously though, is this what's called Jazz Fusion? I kind of like it, but it's not at all what I expected! 
smile.gif

Quote:
At least something new comes out of AKG once in a while. Not that a company needs  to come out with something new every year though. After religiously being anti-Beats and looking stupid while doing it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that I don't mind them (and any other celebrity 'phones) at all, at least as the owners doesn't shove them into my face about it. But so far, none of my acquaintance have done that, so that's good. And I agree on the last part: just don't compromise the sound quality. What I'm willing to predict though: it's going to be bass-centric, so that's out of my radar altogether.

Hope you're doing fine, health-wise, MF.

Well, if Tiestos music is any indicator then yes, bassy headphones should be expected. I'm thinking maybe a V-shaped sound signature?
Quote:

Compared to what? 
smily_headphones1.gif

This is more what I expected, to be honest! I liked it a lot! Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's a snapshot of some favorite Jazz albums from my collection. Maybe you'll like some of them.

Wow, thanks mate. I won't write short impressions for all of these since it's really more than I could possibly listen to in one day. This will take longer than that.

A few short ones though:

Emile Parisien - wow, this was really something special. This is more "art" than "music" in my opinion (if I may make such a distinction). I don't know if I love it, or not. Just very weird and a lot of .. Yeah, they really like to play around with those instruments in some songs. Bonjour Crépi turned out to be more a potpourri of sounds at the end. Le clown tueur de la fête foraine started out slow, but then again .. they just play around with the instruments. You can tell that they are very good with their instruments, like really good. I'd need a whole day for this group alone.. LOL

Petra Haden & Bill Frisell - I started with Yellow. This is a coldplay cover, right? Wow, really good, but is this jazz?

Melody Gardot - This was lovely. If the stars were mine is such an adorable song, in all aspects. Wow, I will listen more to this. She reminds me a little of a Swedish singer/songwriter called Sophie Zelmani. Do you know her? Don't ask me why, I just think they share something. They could possibly make a good duo, perhaps?

Thanks, you just gave me a lot of good listening here. 
smile.gif

In retrospect, it seems as Jazz is a lot more than I thought it would be. It seems like I have such a big big world of music in front of me to explore .. and I'm going to enjoy every second of it.

Favs: Nina Simone, Melody Gardot, Compared to What ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back