The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Mar 30, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #4,111 of 15,119
@ardgedee Say, we're both getting awful cost to 1,500 posts. I would suggest a race, but instead I'll just ask you if you ever ended up checking out that Grimes album? :3

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #4,113 of 15,119

Quote:
Nope. Aside from DIY supplies, for about a month now nearly all audio and music spending's been on hold until after the head-fi meetup tomorrow. Because from past experience it will make me reconsider what sort of things to budget for.

I envy your chance to go to a meetup. I will go there vicariously through you.

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #4,114 of 15,119

Quote:
 I am half Asian and yes it's quite interesting dealing with the Asian parents. It's such a strange dynamic, my mother wants me to be happy and therefore wants me to be successful but when I am not up to her standards she makes me unhappier than I even need to be. I guess she just doesn't realize it.

In Asia you have to obey parents. There is a very strict hierarchy and much less individualism than in the western countries. In Asia if you fail then reputation of the whole family may suffer.

Quote from another thread

My parents were really skeptical when I first told them about her, especially the part where she was a Seoul National University graduate (#1 college in Korea...ask any Korean--it's harder to get into than Harvard, especially for a girl).  If you don't know about Korea, it's a 1 shot society...if you don't get into like the top 3 schools...you could very easily end up working at supermarket.  What's more is even if you do get into one of the top schools and get hired by a company like Samsung, they force retire you at the age of 50? with no retirement benefits!

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #4,116 of 15,119
Mar 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #4,118 of 15,119

Quote:
In Asia you have to obey parents. There is a very strict hierarchy and much less individualism than in the western countries. In Asia if you fail then reputation of the whole family may suffer.

Quote from another thread

Things have changed. Not every parents are the same. My parents never forced me to study that hard to get a full scholarship to come to US. It's just something I promised myself when I was 6. No money to go overseas? Get a scholarship and go overseas. Ez....
biggrin.gif

Here Compooper is going into college, meanwhile I am trying hard to graduate. By the way Compoopers, congrats on getting into college. It's time to have fun and work hard. Time constraint and other reasons have limited my activities quite a bit, in that I could not participate in as much stuff as I would have liked, but I would imagine that everything will be fine with you 
wink.gif

The W3000 has smoothed out quite a bit over the first few hours of listening. Now it's really nice. Pretty forward vocal, yet not very warm, and a little bit of spotlit on a few frequencies in the treble. As far as I hear it, there is quite a bit of depth to the depth of soundstage, presumably due to the angled driver. Headphones like LCD-3 and Stax O2 have angled pads which are thicker on the back than the front, the W3000 has, well, it still has angled pads, but it's angled in such a way that the earpads are flat. Pretty comfy, but the clamp is stronger than O2. I guess it will be pretty hard to get something that matches the O2 in comfort, except perhaps the HD800.

Speaking of which, one of my friend said that I could sell the 507 and the W3000, and that way I could afford the HD 800. Romy, what do you think about the HD 800? I would imagine it to be brighter than the O2? What about other technical capabilities, are they close/better than Stax O2 and 009?

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4,120 of 15,119
hey everybody...I don't feel comfortable starting a new thread so I thought I would mention this here: I see Sony has various new headphones one their site including a new open air design called MDR-MA900 that looks interesting....any thoughts?

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666438593

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRMA900/

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #4,121 of 15,119
Not sure if those are my brother's specifically, but yeah, that was the concept he and Wizard came up with together. I think his was glow-in-the-dark green for both left and right unless they changed it at the last minute.

Edit: Also his has brushed aluminum faceplates. So I guess it's like the two of those concepts combined.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4,122 of 15,119

Quote:
hey everybody...I don't feel comfortable starting a new thread so I thought I would mention this here: I see Sony has various new headphones one their site including a new open air design called MDR-MA900 that looks interesting....any thoughts?

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666438593

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRMA900/

I'm... not sure how I feel about these. On the one hand, I kind of like the retro-Walkman look. On the other hand they look kind of awful. Wonder how they'll sound?

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #4,124 of 15,119
Those Sony do look odd, but interesting. See the gap at the back of the cup on that one side? Wide open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back