The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Mar 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,581 of 15,119
Listening to my HD600 currently. It's not as detailed or spacious as the UERM or SR-007, but it has a fairly neutral signature that is similar to the UERM that I find appealing even now. It lacks in sub-bass a bit but even with electronic music it's involving and fun. Should have my L1s today and I'll get the HD598s on Saturday. Focal Spirit Ones in a couple weeks.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #2,582 of 15,119
Quote:
Also for some reason I'm starting to fixate on EarSonics' custom IEMs: the EM2, EM3, EM4, and EM6. Average_Joe quite liked the EM4 as I recall, and the EM6 is basically a "live performance" version of the EM4. Apparently this means it has less treble emphasis which actually sounds appealing to me.

Also curious about how the Ultimate Ears 18 Pro compares to their Reference Monitor (UERM).

All of the EM series is over the top sensitive.  Many are 124dB/mW.  You'll probably need the Objective2 hooked up to a really clean DAC to not get any noise on them.  The ODA is also supposed to have a option for less than unity gain which night come in handy with IEMs like that.

FWIR the 18 Pro is warmer with some sort of midbass hump while the UERM is supposed to be dead neutral.  I've read that both have large soundstages but not any direct comparisons.  Last I looked before deciding against customs I found that UE18 Pro impressions were few and far between.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,583 of 15,119
Less than unity gain is interesting. Makes me even more interested in the ODA, now if it would only be available....

UERM is 112db 21ohm so I could also definitely benefit from some low gain.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,584 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, I used to go running with my Klipsch S4  but they developed a very annoying driver flex after a while. Now I use Koss KE29's due to the volume control. They're okay, but the midrange sounds like it is sucked out and I find that canal phone's don't really like to stay in my ears when running all that well. I'll probably get something designed more like a Westone/Shure with a looped over ear cable for running; like the Meelec M6's.

Not sure you can read this since you're banned, but yeah, there are probably some IEMs much better suited for running/exercising. I chose the Klipsch S4 though since it was my only other IEMs other than IE80. I think it's a decent IEM and will suit well for that purpose.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,585 of 15,119
Seems a few diary regulars were banned due to that "secret thread" that wasn't as secret as they thought. Can't say I didn't see that coming.

It's frustrating, because you-know-who was just recently UNbanned, then had to go and get himself banned again. The thread was pretty pointless, and it seems like a lot of cool people kind of spazzed and threw away their posting privileges for no good reason. Seriously. Why, guys?

I wont say anything more since refraining from discussing mod decisions is part of posting guidelines.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #2,586 of 15,119
We'll have to make up for their temporary loss. :frowning2:

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,587 of 15,119

Quote:
We'll have to make up for their temporary loss.
frown.gif

Assuming it is temporary. Probably for some. But it could be a permaban this time for someone else, since he was just unbanned like a week ago.

Sigh.

Edit: Time for a smoke.

Edit #2: Then it's off to work.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,589 of 15,119
The Apple store has them. Mine should be here today.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,590 of 15,119
Great to hear that.  I wonder if our Apple Store here has them for auditioning.  I gotta check it out one of these days.  Probably won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm going to be in Cali for some R and R from Saturday to Saturday.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #2,591 of 15,119
I'm still here for now.  To continue the rambling...

I've got a cool idea (I think its cool anyway...) this idea for the headband on my full custom T50RPs I'm working on.  I'm going to make a headband assembly that's sort of a mix between the AKG and AT styles.  There will be two separate arcs that will attach at the side of the cup instead of on top of it like on the ATs.  There will also be AT style "wings" attached to the top of the cups to keep all the weight from pressing in the center like with a normal headband and to spread it over a wider area without having an extra wide headband.  The headphones are going to end up being pretty heavy because I'm going for as much isolation and as little resonance as I can get and I think this arrangement will allow for a more even distribution of weight and better comfort than either hanging all the weight off the the headband or clamping extra tight for a friction fit.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,592 of 15,119
Great to hear that.  I wonder if our Apple Store here has them for auditioning.  I gotta check it out one of these days.  Probably won't be for a couple of weeks as I'm going to be in Cali for some R and R from Saturday to Saturday.

For now its online only.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,593 of 15,119
What was the general topic of this secret thread anyways? I missed it. :frowning2:

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,594 of 15,119
That's why it was a secret... well, not so secret, being that it crept to the top of the 'most popular posts' section...

Anyways, the just un-banned, now re-banned person seems to be fairly confident in not being perma-banned, so hopefully said person's instincts are right.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,595 of 15,119
Quote:

FWIR the 18 Pro is warmer with some sort of midbass hump while the UERM is supposed to be dead neutral.  I've read that both have large soundstages but not any direct comparisons.

I consider that a myth. None of the closed IEMs I've ever heard had actually large soundstage, including the customs. Granted, the UERM have pinpoint accurate positioning, but all of it within the typical limited soundstage of closed phones. They're great for chamber music, but in my opinion unable to portray the spaciousness of a concert hall convincingly. IE8, EX1000, FI-BA-SS are some examples for fairly adequate presentation with large scale orchestra and it's no coincidence that all of them are vented/open.

Of course that's just my 2 ears and 2 cents.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back