The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jan 23, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #121 of 15,119

Quote:
Or just save up to get a custom to end all :). I positive I'll be selling off my dynamic IEMs after I get the custom. I may keep one though. Not sure if I could part with the IE80 again lol.

I'm on a crash coarse in that direction but the fun of this hobby is the experimentation and the journey. I see myself with a pair of UE customs or a set of 1964 Quads in the future.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #122 of 15,119

Quote:
I'm on a crash coarse in that direction but the fun of this hobby is the experimentation and the journey. I see myself with a pair of UE customs or a set of 1964 Quads in the future.

Lets just hope the madness stops on one custom lol. Technically 2 for me as I'll have the Custom TF10s.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #124 of 15,119
Stop it UE lol. I have to at least sell one of them. So it'll be between the FX700 and IE80. So far the IE80 pairs better with more sources. Then again the FX700 pairs well with many of my sources as well lol. Decisions, decisions...

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #125 of 15,119

Not so great in my experience. They were good headphones until I heard the price. I estimated their worth around $500-750. The rep said $2000 and I was literally stunned by how underwhelming they were for that money. My impressions can be found in the link in my sig.

Sign me up for your little club Muppet, but you gotta let me know when and what customs you end up with.. cause you know you'll get there eventually! (UERM, IMO!)

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #126 of 15,119
That was what I thought initially.

When I got my UERMs I stopped listening to my RE262 entirely. The only use it will get is lawn mowing duty. Sky is the limit with these things and it will keep me busy for quite a while trying to find a ceiling on their performance (with amp/dac), if there is one. Don't let the 'neutral' rep fool you, these things will dish out whatever you put in it. I haven't found a genre that these can't perform perfectly. Anything from bluegrass to drum and bass it's all great.

lee730

Stop it UE lol. I have to at least sell one of them. So it'll be between the FX700 and IE80. So far the IE80 pairs better with more sources. Then again the FX700 pairs well with many of my sources as well lol. Decisions, decisions...

If your choice of customs is not a good match perhaps, but I found it very easy to shrug off my universals (and any others I'd auditioned, and other customs I'd auditioned for that matter) when I got my UERMs. The performance difference is night and day. Now to fix my up-stream problems... amp and dac can certainly be better.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #127 of 15,119
When I got my UERMs I stopped listening to my RE262 entirely. The only use it will get is lawn mowing duty. Sky is the limit with these things and it will keep me busy for quite a while trying to find a ceiling on their performance (with amp/dac), if there is one. Don't let the 'neutral' rep fool you, these things will dish out whatever you put in it. I haven't found a genre that these can't perform perfectly. Anything from bluegrass to drum and bass it's all great.
If your choice of customs is not a good match perhaps, but I found it very easy to shrug off my universals (and any others I'd auditioned, and other customs I'd auditioned for that matter) when I got my UERMs. The performance difference is night and day. Now to fix my up-stream problems... amp and dac can certainly be better.

So we have an uerm fan here yeah lol. Anaxillus has both es5 and the uerm and he prefers the es5 for listening and the uerm for referencing. I'm following his footstep but am still short of budget for the uerm.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #128 of 15,119
The ES5 certainly has a more pleasing balance (a bit more bass, a bit more treble) for the masses, I suppose, but I found it rough and the least musical of any custom I tried at RMAF. I was expecting it to be the best, saving it for the last one I tried and was very disappointed with it's performance. The CD player and amp it was paired with were high quality and it was even balanced and I used my own music with it.

Right now I consider the UERM the blank slate from which you can do anything with your sound. The drivers are capable of any balance you want, but the cleanliness, precision, and effortless way in which the sound is created is something I've experienced only with electrostats and very high end ortho setups. I've toyed around with software equalizers to turn them into bass head cans, or treble boosted imaging monsters.

Without sounding too much like a fanboy, these are the first headphones I've thought this way about. I used to always say you had to buy headphones that were presented in a way you like because the natural balance of the headphone can't be changed much, but these have shown themselves to be chameleons responding dramatically to EQ adjustments all the while maintaining the clarity and power I've heard from day one. In this way I think I can recommend these for anyone and let them tune it how they like either with software or hardware EQ or straight as they are (how I prefer them).

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #129 of 15,119
Jan 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #132 of 15,119

Quote:
lol so kiteki is blocked?

MOD's don't like it when we discuss why someone was given the penalty box. There isn't much to discuss about it anyways, none of us know what happened or why the original thread was locked down.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #133 of 15,119
The ES5 certainly has a more pleasing balance (a bit more bass, a bit more treble) for the masses, I suppose, but I found it rough and the least musical of any custom I tried at RMAF. I was expecting it to be the best, saving it for the last one I tried and was very disappointed with it's performance. The CD player and amp it was paired with were high quality and it was even balanced and I used my own music with it.

The es5 is nothing like what you've described.

I'm sorry that you've had an unpleasant experience with them because I like them as much as LCD3.

But whatever it is, it's always a pleasant thing to find something that you like rather than trying to go for things that others like :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #134 of 15,119

It is nice looking on it's own, but also pretentious and gaudy at the same time, especially the accompanying monster pair of monoblocks in a similar style. Taken as a whole, the new Woo style is rather ugly, imo.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #135 of 15,119
The es5 is nothing like what you've described.
I'm sorry that you've had an unpleasant experience with them because I like them as much as LCD3.
But whatever it is, it's always a pleasant thing to find something that you like rather than trying to go for things that others like :)

What an odd pairing! ES5 and LCD3. Worlds apart, imo. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back