The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #151 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

On the contrary, genres are very helpful. They provide essential wayfinding to indicate that if you like A, you might like B, and if you're interested in artist X, he operates in the same sphere of influence as artist Y.

That genres are continually and intensely argued over, and chronically subdivided, is a nuisance and navigating them can be a chore, but if you can stay above the fray fighting over the distinctions it can help prevent spending a few hours digging through stacks of music that you could've known you'd never enjoy listening to.

Sorry, I meant to clarify, never particularly helpful *to me*. (Relaxes in his kinda nice office chair, a little tipsy from Chinese new years drinking.) 

I end up just chasing interesting leads from things I hear on the radio or in stores though. For me music is a process of fun discovery; I generally love finding obscure and very off-beat stuff.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #152 of 15,119
If you like Crystal Castles, I recommend checking out Blank Dogs, Gary War, and Zola Jesus. There's a ton of "bedroom pop" and 80s revival stuff at the moment. Captured Tracks is a great record label for that stuff, and also Sacred Bones (though their stuff is a bit more eclectic).

Witch house / haunted house is a bit removed from Crystal Castles imo. Less 80s revival and more 90s H-Town chopped 'n' screwed, opiated cough syrup influence. Try bands like Balam Acab, oOoOO, and Salem. Just be warned that Salem can sometimes suck something fierce. When they hit their stride though it's great.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #153 of 15,119

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #154 of 15,119
Dear diary,

So I'm thinking about trying a Marantz PM-8004 integrated amp in my TakeT setup. I'm particularly drawn to the 8004 because it has extensive tone controls. Being able to potentially dial back or dial up the bass of the H2+ is appealing. <3

​

My love for the TakeT H2+ is strong. It has the expansiveness of electrostatic headphones but the body and weight of orthodynamics. It also has well extended and beautiful highs, but without being remotely bright. The laid back and non-fatiguing manner in which it presents music is something usually reserved for darker headphones. It's both serious and reference-grade, while at the same time playful and musically engaging. I've never encounter a headphone that is both so heavy-hitting and yet, at the same time, so delicate and nimble.

/H2+ fangirl rant end.

The thought of pre-ordering the SRH1940 is really started to grow on me. Their being described by HeadRoom as laid back and warm while still detailed is what does it for me. Lately I'm finding my sensibilities are moving toward darker and / or more laid back headphones (LCD-2 rev. 1, the SR-007mk1, and the TakeT H2+). 

Hearing about i2ehan's horror story with his K3003i has seriously turned me off of them for the time being. I know it's one case report amidst numerous others that convey satisfaction. I know all products have issues and problems that occur in a percentage of units. Still, I would be getting mine from Stereo, and the thought of having to return them to Singapore for the warranty is not exactly appealing. I suppose what it really boils down to is finding an excuse not to buy them for the time being.

Still trying to make up my mind between the FI-BA-SS and the Piano Forte IX. I think I'm going to eschew the Piano Forte X-CC, since it comes out to the cost of both its numerically-lesser brethren AND the FI-BA-SS. From what I understand having spoken to an owner of both the IX and X, their sound is pretty close with the biggest difference being more warmth in the latter.

On a more depressing note, my partner keeps hinting to me that she wants me to sell some of my collection. To be honest, I've been thinking about doing so anyway. Our new place is bigger than the old, but the room that is allocated for my audio gear is smaller. Go figure. The result is that it's hard to even move around in there right now. It's going to be difficult to try and figure out what to let go though.

That's all for now diary.
XoXo.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #155 of 15,119

Quote:

On a more depressing note, my partner keeps hinting to me that she wants me to sell some of my collection. To be honest, I've been thinking about doing so anyway. Our new place is bigger than the old, but the room that is allocated for my audio gear is smaller. Go figure. The result is that it's hard to even move around in there right now. It's going to be difficult to try and figure out what to let go though.

Sell everything to Head-Fi'ers?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #156 of 15,119
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #157 of 15,119
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #159 of 15,119

Quote:
If I ever order from Spiral Ear, I'll need to find someone in Europe to act as a deputy and accept them and then turn around and send them to me.

Maybe one day I'll make that jump as well. Until then it is time to be Kinged! "Heir" me lol. I've already decided on how my custom will look.

I'll post the pics of the design I have chosen.

My left driver shell will be light blue. The right will be light greenish/blue. The wood faceplate will look just like that one unless Dr. Moulton can give me better alternatives to my satisfaction. It will have the clear ear canal tip just like the one on the purple IEM.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #161 of 15,119

I like your new avatar.
Quote:

Since you're a wood maiden, lol easiest is it sell off the 'least' headphone you don't like which is non-wood. :) Dibs on the Qualia j/k

Quote:

XoXo.

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #162 of 15,119

Quote:
If you like Crystal Castles, I recommend checking out Blank Dogs, Gary War, and Zola Jesus. There's a ton of "bedroom pop" and 80s revival stuff at the moment. Captured Tracks is a great record label for that stuff, and also Sacred Bones (though their stuff is a bit more eclectic).

Witch house / haunted house is a bit removed from Crystal Castles imo. Less 80s revival and more 90s H-Town chopped 'n' screwed, opiated cough syrup influence. Try bands like Balam Acab, oOoOO, and Salem. Just be warned that Salem can sometimes suck something fierce. When they hit their stride though it's great.

Quote:

Eh, that's not too depressing. Think about what high-end speaker enthusiasts have to go through trying to find speakers that will meet that old 'wife acceptance factor'. Though I often do daydream about meeting a guy who is ALSO into headphones. And guys. (Before you ask, the answer is yes.)

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #163 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

Eh, that's not too depressing. Think about what high-end speaker enthusiasts have to go through trying to find speakers that will meet that old 'wife acceptance factor'. Though I often do daydream about meeting a guy who is ALSO into headphones. And guys. (Before you ask, the answer is yes.)

Worse than "wife acceptance factor" is (IMO) "mom acceptance factor". (I'm only 19 old...)
I already found my pc bookshelfs upside-down (after cleaning)!
mad.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #164 of 15,119
Quote:

XoXo.

I hate when people close to me that couldn't care about my interests in any way try to throw (or do throw) away my own stuff. The context that your partner has suggested it in is possibly quite different, but those kinds of things are depressing and insulting to me because such things can be selfish.

Who knows though, having the amount of stuff you seem to have oh Wood-Maiden is something only an independent adult could achieve :p

As a live in home college student my parents have barred me from adding to any of my collections, which aside from the headphone's can't even be called "collections"...

Good luck. 

kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif
kakashi.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #165 of 15,119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Still, I would be getting mine from Stereo, and the thought of having to return them to Singapore for the warranty is not exactly appealing. I suppose what it really boils down to is finding an excuse not to buy them for the time being.

Wow I didn't know that they do overseas business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back