The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jan 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #166 of 15,119

Quote:
Worse than "wife acceptance factor" is (IMO) "mom acceptance factor". (I'm only 19 old...)
I already found my pc bookshelfs upside-down (after cleaning)!
mad.gif

worse then mum acceptance factor is parents acceptance factor when parents start to shout at you for even going on head fi......

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #167 of 15,119
Quote:
So I'm thinking about trying a Marantz PM-8004 integrated amp in my TakeT setup. I'm particularly drawn to the 8004 because it has extensive tone controls. Being able to potentially dial back or dial up the bass of the H2+ is appealing. <3
 ​
 ​
 ​
The thought of pre-ordering the SRH1940 is really started to grow on me. Their being described by HeadRoom as laid back and warm while still detailed is what does it for me. Lately I'm finding my sensibilities are moving toward darker and / or more laid back headphones (LCD-2 rev. 1, the SR-007mk1, and the TakeT H2+). 

On a more depressing note, my partner keeps hinting to me that she wants me to sell some of my collection. To be honest, I've been thinking about doing so anyway. Our new place is bigger than the old, but the room that is allocated for my audio gear is smaller. Go figure. The result is that it's hard to even move around in there right now. It's going to be difficult to try and figure out what to let go though.

I think you're ready for a classic Marantz receiver now. Though I suspect you'd be happier with a Pioneer SX-1280.

The SRH 1840 intrigues me but I am loathe to buy it unheard. Actually, I'd like a week with one before deciding to buy; The HD 800 needed about that long for me to both find its faults and be happy with it despite them.

Quote:
Eh, that's not too depressing. Think about what high-end speaker enthusiasts have to go through trying to find speakers that will meet that old 'wife acceptance factor'. Though I often do daydream about meeting a guy who is ALSO into headphones.

My WAF is pretty simple: If it fits in my office, and it doesn't bring financial ruin, it's fair game. I've imposed stricter limits on myself mostly to keep my packrat tendencies at bay. But I'm in the same boat as MuppetFace, in a way: New, larger space and for the first time clearly-delineated personal space, but less effective room for retaining my own stuff. 

The secret, I've found, is a lot of plastic baggies and bins to stuff 'em into. I've seen Jude keeps his vast collection of headphones (at least the ones not in boxes) each in zipper-top plastic gallon bags, and I've taken to doing the same. Does wonders for neatness and cable control. And once everything is binned away the collection ought to be taking far less space. So then you can justify more stuff, and more plastic bins.

One of the downsides of having a partner who's into exactly the same thing you're into is that you don't necessarily get the alone time you might need. On the one hand, you can share your collection with your partner and have access to twice as many headphones. On the other, if this means you both keep fighting over the same great headphone you pooled your money to get, it ends up not being as satisfying. So it depends, really. I've found that a relationship can be happier when your personal pursuits allow you to each be happy with your alone time, so that you don't get sick of each other too quickly from excessive togetherness.

Quote:
I end up just chasing interesting leads from things I hear on the radio or in stores though. For me music is a process of fun discovery; I generally love finding obscure and very off-beat stuff.

Oh yes, and I remember they halcyon days of college radio in the States for exactly that.

The Internet has brought the celestial jukebox to us, but sometimes I feel a little like the thrill of discovering yet another thing to love that I'd never heard before is lessened.

Quote:
Also dub isn't the same as dubstep. Dub is island music closer to reggae, but with the influence of heavy editing and electronic device processing, and dubstep is so named because it derives influence from the pioneers of the genre who used similar editing and mixing techniques to achieve the same kind of spacey ambience. Basic Channel and their offshoot Rhythm 'n' Sound are kind of the most famous example of the link between dub and what would eventually become dubstep.

(Just imagine I'm adjusting my nerd glasses as I say this.)

How's this, then? Dance the Spiral Never Ending by Kalya Scintilla, with the self-applied genre tags dubstep electronic glitch hop gypsy organic belly music dubstep glitch hop gypsy middle eastern psychedelic spiritual Australia I suspect Kalya's tired of the comparisons to Shpongle, but personally I mostly had mixed feelings about the extended borrowing of Cut Chemist's "Swing Set" on one of the tracks in the middle. And it doesn't sound particularly glitchy to me. It's decent background listening though; if nothing else it rises above the new agey implications of the title.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #168 of 15,119

Quote:
I like your new avatar.

Thanks. I liked the punky girl in the old one holding a minidisc, but I'm not exactly a Goldring fanatic.

Quote:
Since you're a wood maiden, lol easiest is it sell off the 'least' headphone you don't like which is non-wood. :) Dibs on the Qualia j/k

I'm keeping the Qualia fo' evaaaaaaaa....

Quote:
Eh, that's not too depressing. Think about what high-end speaker enthusiasts have to go through trying to find speakers that will meet that old 'wife acceptance factor'. 

It's a trade-off for having to listen to their husbands blasting awful soft rock at all hours.

Quote:
Though I often do daydream about meeting a guy who is ALSO into headphones. And guys. (Before you ask, the answer is yes.)

Go team GLBT-fi. *high five*

Quote:
Quote:

I hate when people close to me that couldn't care about my interests in any way try to throw (or do throw) away my own stuff. The context that your partner has suggested it in is possibly quite different, but those kinds of things are depressing and insulting to me because such things can be selfish.

Who knows though, having the amount of stuff you seem to have oh Wood-Maiden is something only an independent adult could achieve :p

As a live in home college student my parents have barred me from adding to any of my collections, which aside from the headphone's can't even be called "collections"...

Good luck. 

Aw, she's a sweetheart though. I'd probably be trapped under an avalanche of CDs, DVDs, and various other sundries if it weren't for her maintaining order to my chaos. Light to dark, yin to yang, etc.

Quote:
Wow I didn't know that they do overseas business.

Apparently that's where people in the US are finding the non-i version of the K3003. Because for some reason it seems to not exist in the West.

Quote:
My WAF is pretty simple: If it fits in my office, and it doesn't bring financial ruin, it's fair game. I've imposed stricter limits on myself mostly to keep my packrat tendencies at bay. But I'm in the same boat as MuppetFace, in a way: New, larger space and for the first time clearly-delineated personal space, but less effective room for retaining my own stuff. 

The secret, I've found, is a lot of plastic baggies and bins to stuff 'em into. I've seen Jude keeps his vast collection of headphones (at least the ones not in boxes) each in zipper-top plastic gallon bags, and I've taken to doing the same. Does wonders for neatness and cable control. And once everything is binned away the collection ought to be taking far less space. So then you can justify more stuff, and more plastic bins.

One of the downsides of having a partner who's into exactly the same thing you're into is that you don't necessarily get the alone time you might need. On the one hand, you can share your collection with your partner and have access to twice as many headphones. On the other, if this means you both keep fighting over the same great headphone you pooled your money to get, it ends up not being as satisfying. So it depends, really. I've found that a relationship can be happier when your personal pursuits allow you to each be happy with your alone time, so that you don't get sick of each other too quickly from excessive togetherness.

That makes sense. I've found that IEMs and portable stuff are generally more acceptable since they're small and easier to manage. On the downside, they're also easier to amass I'm finding. My partner has her own interests, but she's fortunate in that she's also made a career out of said interests. If I ever try to bring up a new photography-related purchase on her side, she can always respond with the argument that she needs it for her job.

Quote:
How's this, then? Dance the Spiral Never Ending by Kalya Scintilla, with the self-applied genre tags dubstep electronic glitch hop gypsy organic belly music dubstep glitch hop gypsy middle eastern psychedelic spiritual Australia I suspect Kalya's tired of the comparisons to Shpongle, but personally I mostly had mixed feelings about the extended borrowing of Cut Chemist's "Swing Set" on one of the tracks in the middle. And it doesn't sound particularly glitchy to me. It's decent background listening though; if nothing else it rises above the new agey implications of the title.

I dig the second track quite a bit. Reminds me of a less laid-back Bombay Dub Orchestra. I find that the glitch tag is often liberally applied, and some people seem to use it to refer to a specific sci-fi sounding bank of samples for some reason. Whenever I think of glitch though, I usually think of stuff like Fennesz first and foremost.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #169 of 15,119
Quote:
I dig the second track quite a bit. Reminds me of a less laid-back Bombay Dub Orchestra. I find that the glitch tag is often liberally applied, and some people seem to use it to refer to a specific sci-fi sounding bank of samples for some reason. Whenever I think of glitch though, I usually think of stuff like Fennesz first and foremost.

I tried Fennesz' "Black Sea". Nice, but a little too clean and icy this morning. Bombay Dub Orchestra pushed a button, though. They're on my list now.

Of glitchy things, Nobukazu Takemura's albums have been on heavy rotation for me lately. Albums like Assembler I & II are cold and plasticky but I find it a good background for studying. The "Sign" video above is poppier stuff.

(Drawing a line back to Superflat, the video is by Katsura Moshino, who like Takemura worked on Sony's AIBO project.)

Quote:
It's a trade-off for having to listen to their husbands blasting awful soft rock at all hours.

I resemble that remark!

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #170 of 15,119
In other news, I've let myself get overwhelmed by choices for cable projects. On the one hand, with about a dozen different things to build I should be able to get some modest quantity discounts and affordable access to industrial suppliers like Mouser. On the other, I've now spent at least two evenings waffling over specific kinds of connectors I might want, and a couple hours on wire colors and types.

This is worse than shoe shopping. At least I already have shoes and no particular deadline for needing more.

On the other hand, I've learned a couple interesting things: iBasso and Ray Samuels both use video connectors for their portable balanced amps. The auto-IRIS for RSA's amp is compact, light, looks reasonably secure. But holy cats is it hard to find, and nobody makes an inline socket so I'll have to improvise an outer housing that can bear up with getting yanked on. By comparison the HIROSE connector iBasso uses is common and there are a couple options for inline sockets, but the whole assemblage is much bulkier and heavier. Auto-IRIS, as far as I can tell, is for a voltage controller and isn't designed to carry anything like an audio signal. Although Ray thinks it works fine, and he's far fussier than me, so I trust him. I find it interesting that neither took an interest in using mini-XLR for the job. No idea why or why not.

The plan, at least as far as wiring up IEMs, is to build a couple balanced cables terminated in auto-IRIS plugs. And then build a couple short-ish adaptors with auto-IRIS sockets on one end and various plugs on the other: 3.5mm, HIROSE, XLR. And then I can profilgately plug into anything I like.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #171 of 15,119

Quote:
I tried Fennesz' "Black Sea". Nice, but a little too clean and icy this morning. Bombay Dub Orchestra pushed a button, though. They're on my list now.

Of glitchy things, Nobukazu Takemura's albums have been on heavy rotation for me lately. Albums like Assembler I & II are cold and plasticky but I find it a good background for studying. The "Sign" video above is poppier stuff.

Try Fennesz' "Endless Summer" sometime too. It's my favorite. His most recent "Seven Stars" EP is less abstract and quite pleasant as well. I also recommend Tim Hecker for a similar kind of sound, but more focused.

I like Nobukazu Takemura. His stuff reminds me a bit of Mouse on Mars. I haven't listened to either in a while, but you've rekindled my interest.

One of my favorite record labels is Kompakt. They've got great pop ambient, heroin house, and just plain good dance music. My partner and I used to take morning drives to watch the sun rise all the time, and we'd always have stuff from Kompakt on rotation. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #172 of 15,119

Quote:
Go team GLBT-fi. *high five*

GBLT-fi, I like it heh.

Also I liked the Zola Jesus track. It sort of reminds me of Austra. Here's an awesome cover she did of a Strokes track. There is something so great about classically trained singers doing this kind of stuff.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #173 of 15,119
Quote:
Try Fennesz' "Endless Summer" sometime too. It's my favorite. His most recent "Seven Stars" EP is less abstract and quite pleasant as well. I also recommend Tim Hecker for a similar kind of sound, but more focused.

I like Nobukazu Takemura. His stuff reminds me a bit of Mouse on Mars. I haven't listened to either in a while, but you've rekindled my interest.

One of my favorite record labels is Kompakt. They've got great pop ambient, heroin house, and just plain good dance music. My partner and I used to take morning drives to watch the sun rise all the time, and we'd always have stuff from Kompakt on rotation. 

I never really associate Takemura and MoM. I like 'em both and have been through periods of frequently replaying each, but they occupy completely different spaces in my head. They've even collaborated, so it's probably me, not the rest of the world, being off-signal here.

I have some odds and sods from the Kompakt label but haven't paid it a lot of attention.

There's too much good music. The continuing sense that I must listen to it all drives me to distraction.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #175 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

(Drawing a line back to Superflat, the video is by Katsura Moshino, who like Takemura worked on Sony's AIBO project.)

Haha, it sorta reminds me of a chip-tune Kraftwerk / Four Tet. The music video is very cool. It reminds me of the music video for We Share Our Mother's Health from The Knife, a big favourite of mine.

Speaking of The Knife and crazy music genre mashups, two of my favourite bizarro genre concept albums are:

Tomorrow In A Year - Minimalist Electronic Opera about Darwinian Evolution (The Knife / Planningtorock / Mt. Sims) - music built around the idea of iteration of small musical ideas is always a big thing for me. In this one particular track, when the chorus kicks in around 2:00 is one of my favourite musical moments ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On41Z4qfVE8

Here Lies Love - David Byrne and Fatboy Slim's collaborative work, a disco opera about the life of Phillipines figure Imelda Marcos (the one with all the shoes), a cavalcade of stellar female vocalists. Here is Imelda singing about being on the campaign trail for her soon-to-be-dictator husband. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e09ijAiqY8M

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #177 of 15,119
"We Share Our Mother's Health" was good but didn't grab me as much as the video did. Ineffable reasons, nothing to blame, really.

By contrast, "Colouring of Pigeons" is massive. I've ordered the album already. Don't need any more prompting.

You guys. I swear. If you don't cut it out I'm going to retaliate by throwing my own closet-case avant-garde picks up in here.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #178 of 15,119
Quote:
Chiptune is a genre I see talked about a lot, but haven't really explored much. Any recommendations?

I haven't followed it for years, so all my recs will be dated.

I had tons of stuff by the 8bitpeoples collective on replay for a while. Bitshifter and nullsleep in particular.

YMCK is the friendly face of 8-bit. Start here:

There's an 8-bit remix of a RAM RIDER's album Portable Disco that came out, I dunno, half a dozen years ago? that my partner and I both like more than the original. Don't know how easy it is to find (as a CD) but worth tracking down.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #179 of 15,119

I was just going to recommend YMCK haha. In fact you reminded me to actually start listening to them (only had exposure through a friend)

Just got an album for SALEM so I guess that will be my new album/ music genre for the week.

Quote:

By contrast, "Colouring of Pigeons" is massive. I've ordered the album already. Don't need any more prompting.

Mhmm! Tomorrow in a Year was probably my favourite album of 2010. I actually downloaded it and then immediately went out and bought the CD - its one of those albums (2 discs) that I absolutely wanted to own and pay for. Some of the tracks on that album seem designed to destroy speakers, but there are so many moments of absolutely sublime beauty in it.

I wish I could recommend more stuff like it but actually I can't think of anything particularly like it. The stuff from the individual artists in that collaboration, The Kinfe, Planningtorock (haven't checked out Mt Sims) is all fairly different, though I do love their stuff as well. If you have never heard the track, "What Else is There" with the vocalist from The Knife, you absolutely must. :3 It's also one of my favourite music videos of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back