The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #8,131 of 15,119
Quote:
I've been trying to get this stupid HD700-related post done, to the exclusion of any other head-fi related writing, and it has become very tedious because I'm just not into it. My opinion of the HD700 keeps fluctuating between thoroughly mediocre and unimpressive to pretty decent, though it has a pervasive boring quality that keeps me from speaking about it with any inkling of emotion. I mean, I can't even work up genuine hatred for the thing. It's just there. It exists. Okay.

By far the best use I can think of for it is that iconic pair of headphones you can just throw on and listen to for a fairly decent "hi-fi" sound. It doesn't need much in the way of an audio chain, and it's build ruggedly enough to eliminate any trepidation with regard to handling it. Even in this instance however, the Signature Pro bests it I think. Plus the latter is closed and way better suited for portable use. And has a better build quality. The HD700 is kind of like an open, more obnoxious counterpart I guess? Funny that Ultrasone can make a more balanced headphone than Sennheiser now. HA HA.

smiley_thumb.gif
 What an indictment! Your upcoming post is going to reveal a return to freedom, especially if you've been having a hard time connecting to it emotionally.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8,133 of 15,119
Quote:
Good ol' Sailor Bubba.

Here's one of my favorite recently discovered cosplay pictures:

Sadism?  Masochism?  Both?

biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #8,135 of 15,119
Looks pretty epic...

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #8,139 of 15,119
Quote:
If regular members of "Team Diary" were musicians, how good would they be? Probably not very good is my guess. Would they be able to create something that resembles real music --what I'd consider real music, that is-- even if not very good at playing any particular musical instrument? 

I actually picked up my viloin and started playing again lately. (I played for about 7 years when I was younger but wasn't particularly amazing). Its weird because now that I'm playing again after all this time I have a bit of distance to step back and work out what were actual bad habits of mine when playing, and I have a chance to look up resources on the internet about them. Nonetheless I'm not a terrific musician and I don't think I have the mind for composition. I rely on sheet music rather than an innate understanding of key signatures etc. While I know of many musicians who never learnt music theory and know how to make amazing music, I do think they have a kind of genius that I can only admire from a distance. Much like people who an illustrate well or etc.

Quote:
So, I had first interview in a looong time today. It went pretty well, she was a bit vague about it, but basically she offered me two positions, both as consultant. One of them sounded like a very fun job, and the other a very "safe job". By safe, yes, I AM in fact implying boring.

I have another interview tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I will prepare more for that one though, because it's at a company I trust more and it's probably bound to be better paid. The woman interviewing me today gave some very difficult to decipher vibes. As if she was so used to recruiting that she could do it in her sleep. For all I know, maybe she does. Anyway, I didn't get that feeling that "This is it". I actually got more of "alarming" feelings, that things might not be the way she presented them. Sometimes it pays off to be paranoid. I just have a bad feeling that this is one of those times.

Well good luck with that :) As long a the interview didn't go like this:

Quote:

Yes I went into a fit about this, though perhaps for different reasons.
Quote:
Try breeding them.

LOL

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #8,140 of 15,119
Hey @jgray91, we never got an update on your ant situation? Is everything okay? Ever since I heard about it I have been afraid you are being attacked by ants. I think sometimes I am being attacked by ants too, or that I am actually turning into a giant ant. Maybe we can start a colony together. I would like that.

(Yes that was meant to be odd, but we never heard back about the ants so I can only assume the worst).

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #8,141 of 15,119
I hope it's just my mind making the ant (yes a single ant) seems real. Which is weird because in my almost 3 years here in Moscow, not once have I seen ants up here on the 13th floor (my room), and yet, it can't manifest in a better time. Maybe I'm getting delusional? If anything though, I can explain why my desk would have ants coming over: standard fair for students being so messy with how we eat. 
cool.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #8,142 of 15,119
Quote:
Funny that people talk about so many things round here but music is hardly ever discussed -- music links are posted, but hardly any discussion about music (not music taste). The link I posted a few days ago was completely ignored and it raised what I thought were some very interesting points.

Lol you honestly sound a little wounded about that link. Well, I read it - and yes it was a great piece of writing. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

I doubt many of his students talk to him about music (it seems a little weird) but at least with my friends we do like to exchange music and talk about it. Perhaps we don't talk about the role it plays in our lives, but sometimes that's implicit as you get to know a person. It's nice now to be able to ask a person you just met, "What do you listen to?" and get a chance to flick right through their collection on their phone. I feel like I can build up a vague profile of that person, even if based on quite a number of assumptions. But yes, we don't often talk about *why* we listen to music or what it means.

I do mark off chapters of my life with particular tracks, and its a strange feeling when that track comes up and you 'key' in, and suddenly that track becomes meaningful in many more dimensions. Sometimes I feel like there is something particularly self indulgent in listening to say, a sad song to feel sad. Then again it feels natural... and like the article suggests, almost feels instinctual, as if I'm tuning myself.

The strange thing is that I tend to think that most of the times I'm a very passive and unemotional, and mostly at times a dispassionate person. A lot of the music I listen to I like because its repetitive, and I find the complex structure of repetition and variation rewarding for some reason - particularly Minimalist music, which always feels like repetition that builds up towards some great tension that is rarely (though in the case of John Adams very much so) resolved. Other times I'm drawn to music that is theatrical, or crass, or wears its heart on its sleeve. If there is one theme in my life, its the idea of sublimation: I always think I could maybe do great things if I didn't hold my self back. But restraint and abandon are the two binaries I live my life around. Like with film, like with music: I like things that are sterile, that suddenly explode wildly into the absurd or the violent.

When I listen to music, half the time I listen through a whole album, and other times I listen on shuffle. The strange thing is, although a lot of people disparage shuffling music (and I have friends who find the rapid changing of moods disruptive) I always feel like I just adjust my mood to whatever comes up. Of course, I do skip tracks on shuffle, but there still isn't much rhyme or reason to what strikes my fancy in any given second. It's gotten to the point where I can identity most of my music from the first 3 seconds or so, and decide if I want to move on or stay.

I have a friend who listens to Metal who is always showing me the music, and while I can appreciate it for its complexity oddly I am still not really a fan. Namely, I can never tell what I should be *feeling* when I listen to a Metal track. Often the immediate answer is angry (and I don't do angry well) but when I actually learn about the lyrics, often that's not even the case. To me, it sounds like interestingly arranged noise - an explosion of emotion, but I don't know who or what it should be directed at. And that instinct to want to pair the music up with an emotion tells me that I'm not nearly as unemotional as I like to think. I often listen to music and try to imagine what kind of scene would this be set to in a film. When the music can't be set to any scene, sometimes I love it even more.

I don't know if music has saved my life - I only really began listening in earnest when I went to university and realised that I could have my own tastes heh. I chase after new music because I want the thrill of the unknown, and listen to old music for the comfort of the familiar. I collect different headphones to see if I can gain any new insight into the music, but honestly it does feel a little distracting sometimes. The gear becomes an end in and of itself, but then again I am also a huge geek - at times it seems like headphones are the bridge between my rational and emotional sides, the marriage of grand science and high art.

I loved the idea of everyone having their personal song. I have always wanted to try really giving a crack at composition or really trying to write music. The trouble is, I don't even know where or how to start. Mixing up samples in Garageband just frustrates me because I get into a self critical dialogue where I feel stupid for not knowing how to intuitively know what to make or how to use the tools to make it.

The article suggests that listening to music is simply passive consumption, but the author also suggests that listening to music is generative - it has the ability to trigger and create emotions and scenarios. Like reading a book it might not be entirely passive. Perhaps there is a nascent creativity in all of it after all. 

Botton's idea that music can create emotions that substitute for achievement seems a little off, because it seems to me the greatest creators are also the ones who love music and the arts of others the most.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #8,144 of 15,119
Quote:
Hey @jgray91, we never got an update on your ant situation? Is everything okay? Ever since I heard about it I have been afraid you are being attacked by ants. I think sometimes I am being attacked by ants too, or that I am actually turning into a giant ant. Maybe we can start a colony together. I would like that.

(Yes that was meant to be odd, but we never heard back about the ants so I can only assume the worst).

Quote:
I hope it's just my mind making the ant (yes a single ant) seems real. Which is weird because in my almost 3 years here in Moscow, not once have I seen ants up here on the 13th floor (my room), and yet, it can't manifest in a better time. Maybe I'm getting delusional? If anything though, I can explain why my desk would have ants coming over: standard fair for students being so messy with how we eat. 
cool.gif

I remember first seeing that old flick when I was 9. I actually have a copy of that film on DVD R and watch it once in a blue moon for the sake of nostalgia. So wonderfully campy

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #8,145 of 15,119
Quote:
Lollipop Chainsaw time... finally!

Man, as fun as I'm sure this will be, I can't help but wish that Grasshopper would make another title that's more genuinely unique than campy.  Games like this and NMH would probably turn out better from a company like Platinum (formerly Clover), who knows how to make a polished action game, anyways.  I can understand wanting to make games that will actually sell, but, if I ever found myself in some alternate universe where Suda51 is on kickstarter for something with the breadth of content and style Killer 7 had, I'd gladly throw heaps of money at that instead of another pair of headphones, is all.

My flight back to Chicago was delayed earlier, so I got another chance to mess with demo headphones...

I checked out another pair of M40's (to make sure the pair from Monday wasn't broken).  Nope!  These really are just bad. 

Klipsch Image One: Almost as strange as the M40's, except these have a single pair of drivers, so I'm not sure what's going on here.  I can't actually remember particulars so much as thinking everything sounded alien.  Nothing notable about the aesthetics or build.

SMS by 50 Cent: I thought there was a volume matching issue on the pair I was listening to, so I asked for another one, but nope - it seems as though these have no imaging capability whatsoever.  It's hard to say much about these because nothing sticks out as being worse than anything else (let alone better :/ ); they're just another pair of bizarre sounding rapper cans, but worse than the Beats or Souls for the fact that their mids sound a bit more like someone speaking into a plastic cup. They seemed durable, but the finish used to achieve make them such looks toyish in person.

Various House of Marley's: There were no tags telling me the model names, so I'll edit this with all that after looking at some pics later.  I don't have a whole lot to say here either, other than that, with the exception of the noise cancelling and cheap models, which sound awful, these have a far less erratic FR than the other headphones I've really ripped into thus far, but they're nothing special by any means; all of them are far too dark for my liking and the cheaper ones have somewhat shrill highs.  To put this concisely (albeit lazily), none of them had a level of fidelity that I find worthwhile.  The ANC model is noisy and has general issues associated with poor ANC implementation.  The cheapest on-ear (I hope) was really wretched too.  They all felt pretty well-built, though.

Koss QZ900: Another incoherent, noisy ANC headphone and another headphone that I'd have to listen to more to honestly say more than, "they're bad."  The driver's positioned at the very top of the cup for some reason, like some faux parody of S-Logic.  These are one of those Koss' which just look more cheap than charming.

Bose QC 15: The noise cancellation here is actually fairly silent and doesn't add strange peaks to the FR (to these ears, at least).  The overall presentation was neither offensive or engaging - just mundane.  All Bose headphones are light and comfortable, but not particularly durable. 

Bose QC 3:  These sounded like dark, noisier versions of the 15's.  Why are they more expensive?

Bose IE2: Meh.  They're comfy, though.

Bose OE2:  I can't even remember, which is probably telling. 

Bose AE2: No highs, no lows, must be Bose?  The mids were average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back